banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what's the consensus on the TC Polytune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what's the consensus on the TC Polytune?

So, the Polytune has been out for a year or so, and I'm wondering what the consensus is on the technology. Does it work as advertised? Worthwhile improvement over old one-at-a-time tuners?

Anybody tried the new Korg Pitchblack Poly?

As you may have guessed, I'm looking for a tuner. I'm going to put my 25-year-old Boss TU-12H out to pasture (i.e. use it for the acoustic) and replace it with something more modern. Something with up-to-date features such as, for example, a friggin' footswitch.

The obvious choices are a plain ol' Pitchblack ($89), maybe its cousin "poly" (price T.B.D.), and the TC Polytune ($99).
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: So, what's the consensus on the TC Polytune?

do a search we've been talking at nauseum about new tuners. Personally I use a Polytune the only other tuner I'd consider would be the Turbotune.

I don't really care for the Pitchblack displays at all.

The polytune works as advertised but it's most accurate when used in the one string at a time mode. My only other tuners at the moment are a rackmounted Peterson (which smokes it but it's like 5x the price) and a Korg GT-12.

Comment

I haven't owned a Polytune, but I've heard from a couple of buddies who own them that they stopped using the poly feature live once the novelty wore off and ended up just tuning one string at a time anyway. I'm sure for others, there'll be no turning back and they'll want to get a reference on all 6 strings at once.

Just to throw another option into the mix, I recently got a Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner to replace the old A/B switch and Boss TU-12 that I've had for what seems like a century. Great little true strobe tuner, small footprint, true bypass, programmable with custom settings, very accurate and only uses power when it's engaged, so a battery can last a very long time, freeing up a spot on a power brick. It's a good thing. http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

Cheers...................................... wahwah
      Highway Star
      Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
      Mistreated
      Cause We Ended As Lovers
      Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
      Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

I don't always use poly mode on mine, it's nice to have, but I use a 12 string and 2-3 of my guitars are tuned to alternate tunings (usually one in open D and one in open G).

On those guitars the poly mode is kinda useless and that's like half my guitars.

Comment

i like it a lot, does everything i expected to and has other cool stuff besides polyphonic like how it automatically adjusts screen brightness. Get one, better than a tu 3
          i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Love mine but never use the poly feature....
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I've used them before. I didn't use the poly mode much but I like that the tuner reads the note quickly and accurately and has a great display.

I sometimes want to ditch my tuner and get a polytune.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post

Just to throw another option into the mix, I recently got a Sonic Research ST-200 Turbo Tuner to replace the old A/B switch and Boss TU-12 that I've had for what seems like a century. Great little true strobe tuner, small footprint, true bypass, programmable with custom settings, very accurate and only uses power when it's engaged, so a battery can last a very long time, freeing up a spot on a power brick. It's a good thing. http://www.turbo-tuner.com/
                I second that. My experience with the Turbo Tuner has been the same. Very accurate, easy to read strobe, small footprint, true bypass.
                Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I have a polytuner, it is alright, I agree with above

Comment

I like mine. I've never been fussy with tuners but if it broke, i'd get another. Helps me get to Open G quicker
                    Lister: I am your god!
                    Cat: ( points at food ) If you're god, turn this into a woman!

Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                    i don't want to shoot at a guy holding my Les Paul, but I'd gladly shoot through a Fernandes that I paid $250 for.

Comment

I've got the Polytune as well as a TU2 and a Hardwire Poly tuner.

I keep going back to the Polytune. The display alone is the best of the 3. I'll admit I don't use the Poly mode much as most of my guitars are in different tunings and poly mode won't work and I'm too lazy to change the settings so I often tune 1 string at a time. Plus, its kind of a habit to tune 1 string at a time...

Check out Hardwire's poly tuner. It has a really big display with lots of LED's. I really like this tuner, but found the dots in poly mode to be somewhat small to read unlike the TC. When tuning 1 string at a time tho, the display is HUGE and awesome looking.

Last edited by lex666; 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM.
                      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I love my pitchblack. I bought it prior to the polytunes release. it has a display that works in all lighting and its bypass works in my rig. Also the ability to daisy chain effects from it is cool.

I'm currently using a voltage doubler cable to use 2-9v outputs on my fueltank jr. to run my barber HG'er at 18v. but that left one less 9v connector. So I just run my SUF muff off the extension 9v on the pitchblack since it has the least current draw.

also the footprint fits perfectly on my brim pedaltrain.

there is a new poly pitchblack coming out and I see some new pitchblacks on ebay for $55-$60 new and b-stock. the poly modes are kind of a novelty if you consider most players who use alternate tunings or they just plain have been tuning a string at a time for years.

the new polytune mini looks cool.

The only thing that could get me to upgrade would be a strobe tuner that has all that my PB has.

FYI: I just bought a Korg pitchclip for $12 shipped on amazon. no more old grey korg handheld i bought when i was 15 to use when setting up guitars!
                        #1: Gibson SG Classic [Antiquity P-90 Set]
                        #2: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster [Tonerider TRT2 Set]
                        #3: Hamer Sunburst MIK [Pearly Gates Set]
                        #4: Agile AL-2000 [59/JB Set]
                        #5: Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster [Stock Singles]
                        Amp Head: Egnater Tweaker 15 [Tung-Sol & JJ Tubes]
                        Amp Cabinet: Chilly Bird Pro Audio Oversized Closed Back 1x12 [Eminence Wizard]
                        Brim Pedaltrain Mini: Pitchblack, Dual unLTD, SUF Violet Ramshead, R-S Phaser, TC Flashback. Pod HD Desktop.

Comment

I love the Polytone. I use the Poly feature all the time live. In between sets I'll tune one string at a time but in between songs, for a quick check, the Poly feature wins, hands down. We run a lot of songs together and keep the down time in between songs to a minimum. I can check and make sure I'm in tune in half the time using it than by going string by string.

Comment

I downtune my guitars in c# standard (like black sabbath) and need to read the manual most likely, but anyway -

how do you adjust polytune poly feature for diff tunings? or is it automatic? hmm...

Comment

Turbo tuner for me, thanks. Now I can intonate the guitars with the tuner I use for gigging as well.
                              My Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                              X