• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Cheap Amp Head Out there?

Vox Valvetronix
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

my comment was a joke, not sure about the thread. .

Comment

i see a few people suggested the Fender Mustang head... i was looking at them to practice thru around the house and have enough power to keep up with a drummer..., but i may just get the combo as i don't want to buy a Fender stereo 4x12 to match that amp head... and size is a factory... i could see myself with a 100 watt 1x12 Mustang... but it wouldn't be something i'd ever gig with... jamming recording practicing is mostly what i would do with it so it may fill the bill...

i'm not against digital or SS designs for low volume stuff... hell these days i've been using a crappy 10 year old Fender Stage 100DSP Head to practice thru a Marshall 1x12... in my Bedroom at low volume that Stage 100 sounds better then my JCM 800 head... thats a fact... mind ya my 800 is beat up and troublematic... but the TSL100 and my 5150 heads are under dust covers as they sit waiting for a louder jam or gig to be pulled out and used.... these days i've also been using an old Berhinger, a Line 6, a G-Dec, and a few other late 90's era Fender Solid State combos for practicing thru... soon i may ditch most of them for something newer and hopefully better...

so basicly my point is i don't have 1 amp that does it all... i have small SS/Digital practice amps for home practice, louder combos for jams and reheasrals, and loud tube heads for metal or heavy rock stuff...

so my advice to anyone is to buy the right tool for the job... you can argue tube/ss/digital to death... if it works go for it no matter what...
        Last edited by WhoFan; 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Used or New, Digital, Solid State, Hybrid, or Tube, Full Size or Mini, current or classic.

What, in your opinion, is the best value in an amp head for playing rock to heavy metal?

What's it cost? Why is it a great amp and a great value?
          I will go back to the Jet City JCA22H.
          It is really versatile and the crunch channel can get nice cleans but it lacks headroom. It is better suited to a nice edgie crunch than pure cleans and I normally run mine at around 4 in gain on the crunch channel to get a nice Marshall style clean crunch that cleans up well with my Guitar volume. Really dynamic tones in the OD side that are responsive to touch and sound not just good but GREAT in a full band situation.
          The OD channel is a whole other beast. It's thick and fat and MUCH hotter in gain. The OD Channel pretty typical of what you would expect in a Mike Soldano designed rigs tone. It also has plenty of gain on tap to get solidly into metal territory without a dirt box.
          The amp is expressive and rich, sounds great at low volumes and is also loud enough to gig out with and get over a drummer.
          I looked hard at the Tweaker, Vox Night Train and Orange mini Heads and thought the Jet City was just a better rig. It was head and shoulders ahead of them all in tone, had more versatility, a usable effects loop, more features and was less $$. I pulled the chassis and every thing was nicely laid out all the work appeared clean and it looks to be rather road worthy. Time will tell though.
          I snagged a used one in mint shape for under $300 new you are still looking well under $400.
          My only gripe was the factory power tubes and if you snag one take my advice DUMP them ASAP!!
          For a hard-rocking reliable great sounding rig on the cheap it's the BOMB. I am VERY happy so far with mine!!
          Last edited by Ascension; 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

You know what i'm gonna say...

VHT Special stuff is HARD to beat for the $$$...
            Originally posted by jeremy
            God hates bad guitar tone
            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              Ha! Traynes are built to survive the next Ice Age. The problem..the cheaper Marshall Transformers as opposed to the massive Hammond Traynor transformers are better to saturate. Sunn took off as opposed to Traynor casue Stoners/ Doom/ Drone guys arent into the Traynors cause the EQ grunt of a Sunn is more bass/mid heavy.
              The Traynor can be modified ( especially the Bassmaster) to approximate the old Marshall Plexis, but you can only get so far due to the transformers.
              They sound great as is, but the Traynor knockoffs (YGL-3A twin reverb copy and YBA-1/A bassman copy) justs never had the attention to layout detail , nor the tone of the Twin or Plexi.
              Tone to tone, I will take a dialed in Bassmaster over a Marshall, because of the open character of the Hammond iron. The open character, not too unlike Partridge iron really speaks to me. A switch to a 1 meg volume pot and a bright cap snip or change are often all you need to get to the goods. I have 3 Traynors right now and have owned 8 or so..., all can take on the big names, with nothing lacking, outside of looks.... Plenty of clean ones out there to be had.
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Dumble.

Comment

Working...
                X