Blackstar dilemna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackstar dilemna

I have had my HT-5 Artisan Combo for about a year near enough and I love it.

Never gigged with it though or took it out the house... and I don't know if this is impairing my thoughts here. I just feel that a 5 watt combo is a but crappy for a gig of any size. the band I am now in (different band for those who care) is looking to be gigging within 6 months if not sooner, and we will have opportunities to play at small local festivals. I just feel I will sound crap. lol.

So I was wondering what my best option would be.

The HT-5 combos can drive a 4x12 or a 2x12 and I was thinking that perhaps I could always just buy an external cabinet, like a marshall 2x12 or somthing and use that for a gigging rig.

the other option highlights my then limited knowledge back when I bought this amp. It was secondhand but had hardly been used, the guy who used to own it bought it for the colour then never used it as he had a marshall JTM or somethin' but anyways I paid £349 for it.... I regret it... another shop in my city has the new HT-5R mini stack for £399 new.

so IDK what's best, because I don't really have room for a mini stack in my room at all, unless i can just use 1 of the cabs with it at home which could be pointless....

I tend to use fender amps at the practice 'studio' (not that it is, right old dive hole but anyway) and I quite like them. I have used a fender Hotrod Deluxe and the more I use it the more I love it. I also use a frontman 212 which I don't know is SS or Tubed or what but I am a lover and not so much a lover of the 212.

I just seem to think that with being in a tight sounding band which plays lots of Iron Maiden, UFO, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, AC/DC and stuff like that, that my amp will be out of it's league when gigging or something.

Perhaps I'm just sceptical because of my lack of experience with it fully crancked outside my house or room??
    Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
    you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Re: Blackstar dilemna

Why not mic it while playing live?
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
      +1. You'll get all the volume you need. The most important thing is to get the tones you want; the PA system can add the volume. If you can't mic it for some reason, then a 2x12 cab would be a good idea.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Do most places you guys play at have mics?
        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
          Normally the band has it's own mic(s) and PA system..
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
            I've found this to be hit or miss, but I definitely think more gigging bands *should* have their own PA setup.

How often do you need or use a clean tone live? I think the biggest limitation in the OP's scenario of a 5 watt amp live (and in a rock/metal band with most likely a hard hitting drummer) is that it will break up at the volumes he'll need to be at keep up. There will basically be no clean option.
            After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

I've never gigged with anything less than a 30w amp myself, but I can totally see what others are saying abotu the problem you'll have as regards lack of headroom.

A cab will go someway to providing you more stage volume, but I think you may still have the headroom issues, depending on how much you use a clean tone atleast.

If you do decide to go the way of a cab then I have a Marshall 2x12 cab going if you're interested? (Sorry if it always seems I'm just out to sell you stuff in your threads!)

Comment

Originally posted by guitarkid View Post
                That is what I am thinking of but I am sometimes sceptical of mic'ing it up on gig nights, a bit of headroom is nice (not that I use clean tone a lot BUT it does come in handy for some of the material I play.

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                Mic or use the line out depending on the size of the place.

The drag with larger amps is having to shlep them out of the gig at the end of the night.
                As above, the Line out, is an emulated output on the HT-5 which has a 1x10 or 4x12 mode which IDK if it will cope with being ran through a PA system as I am under the illusion that the Em. out is more for the recording and studio mixers, I am not sure.

And yes I appreciate that and also have to think about size! not just of the weight issue but also because of transportation.

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                +1. You'll get all the volume you need. The most important thing is to get the tones you want; the PA system can add the volume. If you can't mic it for some reason, then a 2x12 cab would be a good idea.
                Fair enough point.

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                A lot of the local places around here have their own PA systems and Mics to use for gigs, however quality does vary an awful lot. However, it is also customary for acts to have a plan in place to either use their own PA system or indeed hire or borrow one from a contact.

Originally posted by FretFire View Post
                I've found this to be hit or miss, but I definitely think more gigging bands *should* have their own PA setup.

How often do you need or use a clean tone live? I think the biggest limitation in the OP's scenario of a 5 watt amp live (and in a rock/metal band with most likely a hard hitting drummer) is that it will break up at the volumes he'll need to be at keep up. There will basically be no clean option.
                I hear what you are saying, and despite me not needing a clean tone very often it is still handy as I can use it to create a crunchy sound rather than distortion which is needed on some of the songs. the drummer is very good and ****in' loud!!! so yeah that is the main concern. the other option I had also thought of was to save for a Blackstar HT-20 or club 40 or something like that, in a head form then get two 2x12 cabinets (is possible) to go with it.

Originally posted by Brow View Post
                I've never gigged with anything less than a 30w amp myself, but I can totally see what others are saying abotu the problem you'll have as regards lack of headroom.

A cab will go someway to providing you more stage volume, but I think you may still have the headroom issues, depending on how much you use a clean tone atleast.

If you do decide to go the way of a cab then I have a Marshall 2x12 cab going if you're interested? (Sorry if it always seems I'm just out to sell you stuff in your threads!)
                It's just I never have any money I'll think about it
                Ich bin mein führer

you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

First you say you don't have room for a mini stack and later you're thinking about getting two 2 x 12 cabs......if you've got room for one you've got room for the other.

Most of the venues in the UK do not have decent PAs and mikes. Most bands have a PA for vocals but that's all. If you miked your amp or used a line out to the PA you will really need to mike everything else as well i.e. other guitars and drums. Also, a 5 watt amp is not going to give you enough volume to hear yourself on stage so you're then talking about monitors as well.

You talk about saving for the Blackstar HT20 or 40. I'd definitely go for the 40 watt. Then you'll be able to play any reasonable size pub without needing to mike up, you'll have plenty of headroom and you'll have no problem hearing yourself on stage. A 5 watt amp is NOT a gigging amp - it's possible but causes too many other problems. If you're in a gigging band you need a gigging amp, end of story.

Comment

It's going to depend entirely on the kind of gigs you're playing.

If you're playing festivals then you would hope to find a good PA with full monitoring, and using a 5W amp wouldn't be a problem. It would probably also be fine in pubs/clubs with a house PA.

However, my experience of smalltime gigging at UK pubs and parties is the same as Richard's - most venues don't have a PA and they expect the band to bring their own. Some bands mike everything but the majority, when playing in small/medium pubs, dispense with the extra setup time and hassle and use a vocal PA only. For most of my gigs the backline isn't miked and I couldn't possibly gig with a 5W amp (I use a 50W master volume Marshall). If a band has a vocal PA only, then even if you did put a mic on a small amp, the monitoring configuration is probably not going to work great for you hearing yourself clearly without pissing off the singer (who will be used to hearing vocals only in the monitors).

You probably need to discuss this with your band - i.e. what sort of gigs are you going to play and who do you expect to provide the PA?

Comment

In my experience, there are gigging situations where having a big amp really does help, but also situations where it is detrimental.

Most PA's I've encountered here are severely underpowered for the room, so we tend to avoid mic-ing amps in those situations. We mic singers and the kick drum in those situations.

The key to gigging is to be versatile and flexible. This doesn't mean owning a fleet of amps, but it does mean having a rig that can adapt to any room.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Hmmm, with some research and comments in mind I am thinking orange tiny Terror...
                        Ich bin mein führer

Comment

It will do just fine.

My Blackheart 5 watt head would rock the party like a sonofa*****.

I had to take my attenuator to gigs.
                          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                            You talk about saving for the Blackstar HT20 or 40. I'd definitely go for the 40 watt. Then you'll be able to play any reasonable size pub without needing to mike up, you'll have plenty of headroom and you'll have no problem hearing yourself on stage. A 5 watt amp is NOT a gigging amp - it's possible but causes too many other problems. If you're in a gigging band you need a gigging amp, end of story.
                            Well, my old mate, can't argue with this. If you plan on gigging, a 5 watt amp would not be most guy's first pick. Maybe you can make it work, but there could be a lot of hassle in doing that. Starting out with a 30-40 watt tube amp just makes life so much simpler. You can do the vast majority of local venues with it, and not have to constantly sweat about mic's, PA's, and monitors. You're self-sufficient. If you're going to buy something else, your money's probably best spent on a more suitable stage amp. A problem with mic'ing small amps is the PA speakers are in front of you, and although the crowd may hear you okay, you may not be able to hear yourself. I used an 18 watt Fender Blues Jr at a gig and was totally drown out; can't imagine using a 5 watt amp. It wouldn't mix well with an enthusiastic drummer. The more I think about the hoops you could have to jump thru, the more I think that that you're better off doing it right in the first place.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                            X