banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where should I put a Phaser in my chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I put a Phaser in my chain?

I've never been an effects guy , recently I've been getting into Overdrives and I finally broke down and bought a Powered Pedal Board . I Run Straight into my Wah> and then my Pedal Tuner > and then I have 3 different OD Pedals before going out to my amp.

I was going to buy a Fulltone Dejavibe but I just wasn't digging it. Again , I'm just not an effects guy. However I really dug this little EH Small Stone .
    So I bought it. Adds just enough to my sound without ruining it.

I was just wondering where you all might place it in your chain , I was going to place it right after my Wah , before my Overdrives. What works best for you? Thanks!

Re: Where should I put a Phaser in my chain?

Traditionally, modulation effects go after distortion pedals. Try it there...
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

if you have an effects loop
      it should go there
      after the preamp and before power amp
      all time based boxes should be after preamp

but heck sometimes cool things happen elsewhere

dont be afraid to move it around from time to time

make a delicious noise
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

a) Technically generally acceptable answer: After gain/OD/distortion/eq devices. Preferably in a loop, before Reverb.

b) Ultimate correct answer: Where ever you think it sounds coolest!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Theory says in the effects loop after any overdrive or distortion but I like to run my Phase 90 in front of my amp. I get all my drive from my amp and it just sounds better to me that way.
          Last edited by ErikH; 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            Theory says in the effects loop after and overdrive or distortion but I like to run my Phase 90 in front of my amp. I get all my drive from my amp and it just sounds better to me that way.

This. My EVH Phase 90 sounded subdued in a very non-cool way in the effects loop of my Fender Princeton Recording amp.

Most days, my signal chain is: Me>guitar>Dunlop Crybaby Classic>MXR Classic 108 Fuzz>MXR EVH Phase 90>amp. With a Line 6 DL-4 in the loop.

Works for me, but subject to change without prior notice.

Originally posted by nedcronin
            Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
            Originally posted by metalmachine
            dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

I have an EVH Phase 90. It is almost at the end of my chain and in front of the amp. It works best for me there.

Comment

Awesome, Thanks! Sounds like all of you are on the same page that it sounds best at the end. I'll experiment but I wanted to know where most traditionally place it. Good deal......thanks! EH Small Stone is a cool little pedal BTW.

Comment

I prefer my chorus, phase and flanger in the front of my amp and BEFORE any drive/ distortion. I did run them through the loop for a while, and thanks to Niels (Vashu) giving me the benefit of his knowledge and moved them to the front.... works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Where ever you think it sounds coolest!
                    This.

put it in front, before and after distortion, then in the loop. Choose what sounds the best to you. There are no rules.

Comment

mine sounds best before drive/dirt pedals

Comment

The front end of my board is Guitar->DS-1 Recto->Phase 90-> BB Preamp. The amp is an 18 Watter clone, so it adds a modest amount of addition overdrive, but it's not a modern high-gain type amp.

Putting the Phase 90 in front of the BB Preamp gives it a old-school sound, like when people would just stick a few boxes in front of a raging Plexi. It gives a more subtle phasing sound, more a part of the guitar's tone.

Having it after the DS-1 gives a more artificial-sounding swoosh, since the phaser is working on all the harmonics generated by the distortion box. In this mode, the phaser sounds more like its own effect, rather than just a tweak to the natural guitar tone.

The "in the loop" solution is really intended for high-gain amps that generate a lot of overdrive in their preamps. You didn't say what kind of amp you have, but with four overdrives, I'm guessing it's not very hgih-gain.

I would try it various places in front of, in between, and after your overdrives.
                        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
                        X