banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise pedals: at the front, at the end, or in the loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise pedals: at the front, at the end, or in the loop?

Reading the info on the Decimator has got me wondering...

I use my NS2 at the beginning of my chain of fx and into the front of the amp. I've been getting satisfactory noise reduction.

But, the Decimator says to use it either at the end of the chain or into the amp's fx loop.

Is there a 'correct' location to insert a noise pedal? What are the advantages of using the loop vs. front of fx chain, vs. end of fx chain?

Where do you put your noise pedal?
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Noise pedals: at the front, at the end, or in the loop?

well the NS-2 operates on a loop system, where you put all the pedals in its loop.

the decimator has no loop, so everything that generates noise goes before it so it can do its job.

I'd say location of your noise reduction units should depend on the design of the pedal and your rig's design too.

I use my NS-2's loop as advised for all my front-of-amp pedals ie wah, eq, OD, tuner. I also need to get another noise reduction unit to put in my amp's FX loop to get rid of excessive preamp noise.

Comment

First (Front) Otherwise you would have to change the threshold everything time you hit an overdrive or fuzz or anything that changes the basic signal level.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
        First (Front) Otherwise you would have to change the threshold everything time you hit an overdrive or fuzz or anything that changes the basic signal level.
        See, that kinda what I thought too. If I put it at the end, won't the noise gate squash any effect I turn on?

I've never used the loop feature of the NS2...
        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

my signal chain for the NS-2 is as follows:

guitar or wireless unit -> NS-2 input

NS-2 send -> tuner -> wah -> EQ -> OD -> NS-2 Return

NS-2 output -> amp

supposedly, helps reduce the noise for all the pedals plugged into the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarded View Post
            I've never used an NS-2; I always used a rackmount device instead. It should be placed last in the chain so that it can tackle the noise from your preamp, fx, or other sources. If it's 'squashing' your playing, you have the threshold set too low.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have the Decimator G String, and my bandmate has the plain Decimator. I've used them both. The G String is better IMO, because 1) It's noise reduction sounds much more natural, and 2) It lets you use several configurations. It has it's own loop, into which you can put the effects. Or you can just use a patch cable as the loop and use the pedal in line wherever you want, just like a regular Decimator (but with the added benefit of it tracking your clean guitar signal). Note: If you choose not to put anything in the pedal's effects loop, you must use a patch cable in order for the pedal to do anything.

I would (and do) put the regular Decimator or the G String in my effects loop when playing an amp with that feature. However, I keep the effect of the pedal to a minimum. All I want is a reduction in buzz and hum, not a wet blanket thrown over every last bit of extra noise. When you have all your effects plus your preamp going through it, it is very easy for the pedal to overreact and affect your tone and sustain in a very bad way. you can apply the NR more heavily if you use it before the effects and/or preamp.

Also, get a power adapter for the thing, for sure. They don't react kindly to fading batteries at all.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-24-2012, 01:58 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X