Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bass amp question

orig opened this up in the guitar room... My bad

Looking for a gigging bass rig. Ive thought about Carvins for years. And also am intrigued by that Randy Jackson sig amp. And other Mark Bass amps.
    Anyhow, any thoughts on either brand? Or others? Id like light weight and reasonable cost. (As much as I love the AMpeg SVT...)
    Also, how much power should I look for? Guitarist will have a 1/2 or full stack..

Thanks

Jol Dantzig

Re: bass amp question

I use Ashdown ABM 500. Great sounding bass amp with British flavour.
    I would suggest a hybrid amp with tube in the pre. Because of that you can use an overdrive pessl in front and get a great tube breakup. My 50w Mesa guitar amp compite Hand by hand with my Ashdown 300w bass amp, so I would suggest no less than 200w unless you want to go with the DI out to the FOH.

Comment

In regards to volume, I barely keep up with a half stack with my B100R, though having more would be very nice. I'd say aim for at least 200W solid state if you must keep up with a half stack.

I'd be tempted to go for a 200W BA series Ampeg (used made in USA if possible). BA-210 or 115HP, depending on the speakers you want.

If I could always count on a decent PA, I'd get the old B50R (the 50W 1x12 version of my B100R) or a BA 112. All you'd need it to do would be to serve as a monitor, and they are good sounding, smallish, light, and cheap.

As for dealing with the half stack thing:

1) Your guitarist should probably not be playing a half stack, especially if you have to go buy a new amp to keep up with him. That is completely unnecessary in most venues, and does nothing but make the band sound bad. He might-should get a 2x12 or 1x15 cab.

2) He will 90 percent likely not stop playing the half stack, not matter how much sense it makes.

3) Use a direct wire to the P.A. or a microphone, and you can keep up with anything the PA can keep up with without pushing your amp so hard. Therefore, you can get by with a cheaper and smaller amp. You just hope that his stupid half stack doesn't drown out the PA.

4) Get an extension cab.
      Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-24-2012, 12:50 PM.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Find, and buy a used Music Man HD-150, and get a good 1x15, or 2x15 cab. Maybe a 1x15 paired with a 2x10.

Smile to yourself onstage as you realize that no guitarist will ever be louder than you again, and your volume is only on 4.

Gloat all day over the fact that this only set you back 800 bones.

Or, pay twice that, and get a 700 watt Mark Bass head and cab set up...that weighs in at 40 pounds, total.
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

i have a svt5pro which is like 1000w mono into 4 ohms. i got a great deal on it and its more bass amp then ill ever need.

if i had it to do again (and pay a more normal price) id get an ampeg svt3pro. very versitile and sounds great with enough power for most gigs.

the mark bass stuff is nice, i play with a few guys who have em. they are light and sound good. one dude blew a speaker which was a few hundred to replace and another has an issue where it randomly cuts out for a few minutes then comes back to life.

Comment

Thanks! Thats kinda what I really wanted to know too. I think a tube pre would be good. Ive only ever played solid states or the SVT full tube. The RJ sig mark bass has either a tube pre or emulated. hoping my local store will get one..
            I have a ampeg BA115 now.
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              I have a ampeg BA115 now.
              LOL. I thought you just had a bedroom amp or something now. That will do the trick. Just turn that up, pipe that direct into the PA, or mike it. Your amp is more than adequate. In fact, I even suggested the same amp above before knowing that you already have it! There is no need for you to go spend lots of money just because your guitarist plays too loudly. If anything, get an extra cab for it.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-24-2012, 11:57 AM.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

My rule of thumb it that the bass amp should have three times the wattage of the guitars. Tubes count double, so if the bass amp is solid state, you need to x2 what you already tripled.

So, if your guitarist is playing a 100-watt tube stack, you need a 300-watt SVT. If you choose more modern solid state gear, you should shoot for the 600 watt range.

If you can get your guitarist into a 20-watt head, your job is much easier.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  LOL. I thought you just had a bedroom amp or something now. That will do the trick. Just turn that up, pipe that direct into the PA, or mike it. Your amp is more than adequate. In fact, I even suggested the same amp above before knowing that you already have it! There is no need for you to go spend lots of money just because your guitarist plays too loudly. If anything, get an extra cab for it.
                  100w is pretty whimpy if you want a clean detailed bass tone. 200w+ is as low as i would go. its not about volume, its about headroom and those low notes need a ton of it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    100w is pretty whimpy if you want a clean detailed bass tone. 200w+ is as low as i would go. its not about volume, its about headroom and those low notes need a ton of it
                    I had the same suggestion of at least 200W, but a bird in the hand, ya know. All he needs to do is mike it or pipe it out to the PA directly. Better yet, do that and/or get the guitarist to turn down. Most volume mismatches are better solved by one guy getting quieter to match instead of one guy getting louder to match.

My B100R has kept up well enough in loud hard rock bands for nearly 20 years (though there was a break while I was in the Navy), run pretty much on 10 and 10 (master and gain) most of the time. I thought it was blowing it's stock speaker, but I had it checked out and it is fine. Just needed to be tightened down. Twice the wattage would be better, but I am not sure if I would bother switching just to go from 100W to 200W. OTOH, I do bother keeping a mic, stand, and cable in my trunk at all times. It also has a line out, or I can use a direct box if they have it, and also get to use it as a monitor.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

i cant imagine that your amp with both knobs dimed was very clean. i like those amps, ba100, they look cool and sound nice too. i like em better than the ba-115 although its more a tonal thing than volume or anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                        Find, and buy a used Music Man HD-150, and get a good 1x15, or 2x15 cab. Maybe a 1x15 paired with a 2x10.

Smile to yourself onstage as you realize that no guitarist will ever be louder than you again, and your volume is only on 4.

Gloat all day over the fact that this only set you back 800 bones.

Or, pay twice that, and get a 700 watt Mark Bass head and cab set up...that weighs in at 40 pounds, total.
                        LOL! those brutal? easy to find? Nice avatar!!

Good info everyone! Id like to plan in case I cant use a pa and all and also, my ampeg may not be reliable. the effects dont work, so I worry the rest may konk out..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

If your amp is going, then I'd look for a used BA-210 or BA-115HP. They are good, plentiful, and cheap.

I'd also suggest a B200R, but I have played the import ones, and they are obviously crap. Even the guy at the shop told me they have had so many returns and complaints since Ampeg went overseas. And the US ones are very hard to find. That is Blue Diamond series, 200W, with a tube preamp. A US-made one is the one bass amp I would jump for.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

when ampeg was st louis music they made decent and fairly reliable stuff. since loud tech or whatever bought them its been slowly down hill. still for the most part decent stuff but more reliability issues than anyone would like to see.

a used ba210 or ba115-hp would be my suggestions as well. they made a ba500 that was thumpin too if you can find one. 2x10 combo at 8 ohms add an 8 ohm extention ( hint hint 1x15) and you get 500w @4 ohms

Comment

Jeremy, I am curious; was the BA115HP ever made in the US?

Yep; my amp dimed is not exactly clean, but not exactly dirty either. I mike it or line out when possible, and it can keep up with whatever the PA can keep up with. I got it around the time that they first came out, and I am happy that it has lasted me this long with absolutely nothing having to be done to it. SLM stuff is much better than I thought it might be at first, coming from V series stuff.

My main guitar amp is also an SLM Ampeg. It has needed some work. The reverb tank dropped a spring out the bottom (Accutronics part), and I had to replace the speaker (Eminence part). Both are recent repairs. Total cost $125. Not too bad for an amp I've had since '95.
                              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X