What do I need to make patch cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to make patch cables?

I just ordered some of those GLS pancake plugs, and I'm about to place an order with Redco for plenty of Mogami W2524 wire when it occured to me - aren't I missing something?

Don't I need heat shrink tubing or something? Or is it fine to just use cables and plugs?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: What do I need to make patch cables?

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    I just ordered some of those GLS pancake plugs, and I'm about to place an order with Redco for plenty of Mogami W2524 wire when it occured to me - aren't I missing something?

Don't I need heat shrink tubing or something? Or is it fine to just use cables and plugs?
    Send us a link and maybe I can see how I'd do it? I use George L and it's just putting the ends on,metering them,and plug em in and wank.....I do use automotive plastic split loom tubing around the thin cables for protection..

Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I use shrink tubing, don't know if my cables are better for it. Mabe it will provide extra support for when cables are pulled out by grabbing the cable and not the plug. Custom length cables will give you a tidy rig and probably more reliable since you wont be tripping over excessive lengths.

Comment

I'll be using this cable with these plugs.
        Custom neck-thru strat
        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
        1995 PRS CE24
        D'avanzo #8
        Breedlove Solo Concert
        1996 USA Dean Baby Z
        1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Ok cool.....When I use those 90s...I use heatshrink between the halves and right up to the area where the wires are soldered....Then(if you want) you could also use a bigger/wider piece of heatshrink over the larger bottom end of the plug....Just make sure to get the tubing onto the cable before you solder to the plug(Like I've done so many times).....Lol
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Something to hold the plug while you solder it?

Comment

Is that cable going to fit inside then plug? I purchased instrument cable (same thickness as my planet waves) with those plugs before and the cable was too thick for the plug.

Also, I dont think I was able to get shirk tubing on the terminals.

I use larger right-angle plugs now. Heaps of room to work and one cut shirk-tube covers everything (terminals and cable internally)

Comment

What you need is a nice meter to make sure those cables work right.

I couldn't resist. Just kidding.

Sort of.

BTW, that cable should be fine in those connectors without heatshrink. I only add heatshrink if the cable is loose in the strain-relief clamp.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly_Rancher View Post
                  Something to hold the plug while you solder it?
                  This... Those plugs get a little warm when you solder them.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                  Originally posted by Securb
                  The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                    What you need is a nice meter to make sure those cables work right.

I couldn't resist. Just kidding.

Sort of.

BTW, that cable should be fine in those connectors without heatshrink. I only add heatshrink if the cable is loose in the strain-relief clamp.
                    I overkill on cables if it's possible! I have cables that I made over 15 years ago that still work great because I overkill....Lol...

Comment

Originally posted by trevorus View Post
                      This... Those plugs get a little warm when you solder them.
                      Yes and never solder over yourself while wearing shorts..Ask me how I Know? ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                        Yes and never solder over yourself while wearing shorts..Ask me how I Know? ;o)
                        Ouch.

I have one of those little soldering stations with the magnifying glass and helping hands. I got it when I got my (failed) BYOC DS-1 kit, never thinking it'd have another use. Well whaddya know, I guess it's going to come in handy.

Thanks all for the advice. As nerdy as it may be, I can't wait to get my cables done. Because I don't have the right length patch cable, all my pedals are in weird places on my board. Once I get cables made, hopefully I'll be able to arrange everything to fit quite nicely.
                        Custom neck-thru strat
                        1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                        1995 PRS CE24
                        D'avanzo #8
                        Breedlove Solo Concert
                        1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Ouch.

I have one of those little soldering stations with the magnifying glass and helping hands. I got it when I got my (failed) BYOC DS-1 kit, never thinking it'd have another use. Well whaddya know, I guess it's going to come in handy.

Thanks all for the advice. As nerdy as it may be, I can't wait to get my cables done. Because I don't have the right length patch cable, all my pedals are in weird places on my board. Once I get cables made, hopefully I'll be able to arrange everything to fit quite nicely.
                          Have some fun...All of us are here if u need us! As always! ;o)

Comment

You also might need bandaids and some topical antibiotic.
                            Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Working...
                            X