Axe FX II??? Convince me it is not gonna help with my low volume recordings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axe FX II??? Convince me it is not gonna help with my low volume recordings

Hello, I have bad bad bad G.A.S.! Axe FXII is in my crosshairs, please tell me why I should not get this computer/amplifier! I would only be using it for my demos that I record at low volumes at my apartment. I am expecting axefxIIcoupon in 3-5months. Any insights are appreciated, thanks

Re: Axe FX II??? Convince me it is not gonna help with my low volume recordings

because it sounds like crap

I would personally go for the eleven rack or the pod hd500 as i find them both to sound far better, they dont have the oddness in the highs.
    Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
    WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
    http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post

I would personally go for the eleven rack or the pod hd500 as i find them both to sound far better, they dont have the oddness in the highs.
      many thanks for the help/opinion

thos pod hd500s are pretty killer, I see that the MF/GC coupons apply and they are the same thing as the podHDPro.

Comment

Save your money it won't sound that much if any better than the HD POD's, The Vox Multi amp pedals or the new Boss GT 100. It's all about mixing the signal once it's recorded. If it were me I would choose between the Vox, Boss or POD's.

Last edited by innerdreamrecords.co; 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM.
        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I think its worth it for the heavier tones.

The bands Between The Buried and Me and Cynic used it on their latests records. Check them out for examples. And of course Animals As Leaders

Comment

Maybe that is so, but there is a distinctive difference, and it's just a question of whether that difference is worth paying a premium for. For lots of Bogner owners, it is, and for lots of AxeFx owners it is too.

Everdrone, consider a used AxeFx1 too.
            I disagree. I have very good ears and I don't hear the difference that justifies the price nor do I hear a significant if any improvement over the 3 I mentioned. Modelers all suffer from not moving air in a room and they all sound like direct recordings. Don't let the hype and the price fool you.
            Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

If you're just gonna use it for demos, don't spend the big bucks on the latest AxeFX..

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post

Are you talking about the AxeFX II or the previous run?
              My Soundclick

Comment

For basic studio use, all of the utilitarian processors, be it Line 6 Pod, Boss GT, Zoom G, or Vox Tonelab all get the job done competently. The Axe Fx II will sound better. Some of the biggest names in rock use it for studio use.

Low volume is purely relative in this case, because all of these processors now have USB connectivity, so you're really just controlling parameters on the digital board.

I would look at the low-end alternatives and spend your money on a good power amp such as the Atomic reactor or even a Fryette for stage use, because when you're trying to "push air," that tube output is really going to affect your sound.

FWIW, the Vox is hands down my favorite unit. That 12AX7 really does make the tone a little more organic. Axe FX truly is king though.
                AccountKiller

Comment

Fx II will sound better. Some of the biggest names in rock use it for studio use.
                  This means nothing. Taylor Swifts last album was over half POD direct for the guitars. I bet you couldn't tell me which ones either.
                  Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                  Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                    This means nothing. Taylor Swifts last album was over half POD direct for the guitars. I bet you couldn't tell me which ones either.
                    You're absolutely right about that. I don't listen to Taylor Swift, period.

People buy the Axe Fx for a reason. It's pretty freaking awesome. Is it $2000 awesome? That's up to your needs, and how much "more" you want from your studio guitar tone.
                    Last edited by 9unslin9er; 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM.
                    AccountKiller

Comment

It's the best modeller you can buy (until the Kemper starts gaining steam). Take that for what it's worth.
                      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                        Can i just be clear? Are you saying that there is no qualitative difference in the sound between an AxeFx2 and a POD HD? Or are you saying there is a difference you'd be willing to acknowledge, but that difference would not justify paying 4 times the money for it?
                        In the right hands you wouldn't be able to tell me the difference between a guitar recorded with an AxeFX, a POD HD or a Boss GT 100. I've heard them all and I can hear they all sound like a direct recording and because of this the difference is in the "flavor" of the amp models. Which you prefer is personal taste. Just like recording software has a color to the sound so do the modelers.
                        I'll leave it at this if I can achieve the same results with a $500.00 piece of gear as a $2,000.00 piece of gear why would I spend the money.
                        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

what were we talking about??? i was watchin jack tamaract do thos cool loops!

Comment

I know a guy that just jams with a local cover band. he bought one. then bought another for a backup. I think it's cool there's a whole community of support that share patches and all that. the connectivity to the computer is also nice. other than that, I'd not drop that much moolah on it. then again, I've been using the same ADA MP-1 for over 20 years (because it gets the job done!). Ed, if you like it and you want it and it'll make you happy, get it... then let me have weekend visitation rights.

Comment

cheers, great insights and yalls opinions are much appreciated. innerdream makes a lot of sense, pushing air is a big hurdle that no one has jumped, even with IRs. I listen to my new animals as leaders album and the guitar solos sound great but the guitar riffage sounds processed a bit too much for my tastes. my ears are not that great, and my mixing ability is less. so prolly would not be money well spent. I definitely agree that axefx is awesome but prolly not so much in my hands, I note all the hype about axefx and then everyone immediately selling and getting axefxII that has the IRs built in and USB for easier reamping. I am talked out of it thank god

Comment

Working...
                              X