• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JJ retube kits?

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
    Do you have a 3 pre or 4 pre Splawn?
    4. Its a 2010 model. Why?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
      The Valve Art tubes are Chinese. Did you like that tone or do you want something different?
      I thought the splawn was amazing! But I always hear that they sound better with diff tubes. Scott uses Sinos in them now and alot of players use all kinda diff stuff. Is VERY Very hard to know what to do unless you have a bias machine and big budget to buy all kinda tubes to swap em around. I"ll put it thisway, Ill be happy to get it working, sounding as good as it did before.. But, if it ends up improved...... Then OH YEAH!!!
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'll look for the bias tester I have, but it was 25 bucks for the adapter. Do you have a multimeter?

The 4 pre Splawns have one tube strictly for the cleans. I think thats the on farthest from the power tubes. A TungSol will be beneficial in that spot. I usually put a TungSol in the one next to it to (input and 2nd stage for OD channels), a Chinese tube in V3 and then a long plate tube in the PI. The Mullard RI is good for more oomph and warmth, the JJ ECC803 is good for a little sparkle and more detail, and the LPS is good for in between.

But really, if you like the way it is, then get some Penta Chinese preamp tubes and some Ruby EL34BSTRs from Doug's. The TungSol in the clean spot will give more chime and detail for cleans.

LP Custom
        Greenbacks
        Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
        X