Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's dial in those wah pedals.

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
    MXR/CAE - two wahs in one. Red is thick and throaty. Great with humbuckers. Love it dialed in so its not too strident, but can add growl and colour to both rhtym and lead without thinning the bottom end. Yellow mode is bright and cutting - kinda like how my vox and crybabys "should" sound like. Rich and colorful. Both modes have their own 'q' trimmer. Its also got an internal gain pot too. I think more than any wah ive tried, this one has the ability to fit pretty much anybodys rig regardless of axe and amp combination. Plus it has the booster if you want it. Killer. The rest are now redundant cos it can do all if what the otehrs can do, only better.
    Like wahwah's mate burgerman says in his review video "the best wah ive ever tried".
    +1 for the CAE wah but the goop on the trim pots is very thick and i don't want to risk breaking the damn thing just to tweak it a bit. I also like the vocal mod on rev. D crybaby which i plan on rebuilding with a halo replica inductor.

Comment

GearJoneser, how about more of this kind of thread, for other effects pedals. As much as I've modded guiitars, I'm new at pedals.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I have two Thoma Organ Company Wahs, a Vox Clyde McCoy & a Vox 847. I use the 847 on my gigging board & I have my second Thomas Organ Company Wah on my home board. The Clyde is on a backup board that I used when I played out with my Marshall. I don't really use it too much any more.

I have made a lot of the adjustments you mention & I have never been able to do it in 10 minutes. haha First my two main Wahs were both heavily modded by John Spina & he did a great job. My original Wah was so worn out I was considering replacing it with something new. John offered to look at it & was able to fix it. The rocker just kept falling & no matter what I did it would just drop. About a month after I got it back from him I saw he was selling his TOC wah so I bought that too. Personally these old Wahs have the sound I desire. I love the Hendrixy/Claponesque type of tone and I get it without too much tinkering with these. The Clamp on my original wah was so worn I just couldn't keep it adjusted. The screw would loosen & then the gear would pop out so it was a struggle to keep it working.BUT I LOVED THE WAY IT SOUNDED WHEN IT DID WORK! Now that John has repaired it for me its working, but I have retired it. I have his newer Thomas Organ Company wah on my board. It has a gain adjustment that I like. I have it set to give me a bit of boost when I turn it on, but it still maintains the character of these great old wahs..

To be honest once John has modded my Wahs for me I never adjusted anything. They sound just the way I want them to.
        Last edited by Bludave; 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
          I have two Thoma Organ Company Wahs, a Vox Clyde McCoy & a Vox 847. I use the 847 on my gigging board & I have my second Thomas Organ Company Wah on my home board. The Clyde is on a backup board that I used when I played out with my Marshall. I don't really use it too much any more.

I have made a lot of the adjustments you mention & I have never been able to do it in 10 minutes. haha First my two main Wahs were both heavily modded by John Spina & he did a great job. My original Wah was so worn out I was considering replacing it with something new. John offered to look at it & was able to fix it. The rocker just kept falling & no matter what I did it would just drop. About a month after I got it back from him I saw he was selling his TOC wah so I bought that too. Personally these old Wahs have the sound I desire. I love the Hendrixy/Claponesque type of tone and I get it without too much tinkering with these. The Clamp on my original wah was so worn I just couldn't keep it adjusted. The screw would loosen & then the gear would pop out so it was a struggle to keep it working.BUT I LOVED THE WAY IT SOUNDED WHEN IT DID WORK! Now that John has repaired it for me its working, but I have retired it. I have his newer Thomas Organ Company wah on my board. It has a gain adjustment that I like. I have it set to give me a bit of boost when I turn it on, but it still maintains the character of these great old wahs..

To be honest once John has modded my Wahs for me I never adjusted anything. They sound just the way I want them to.
          Thanks again Dave....It's nice reading this sought of thing!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I use a Teese RCM3, do none of those modifications are necessary…

If you are interested in a source for mod’s...

Last edited by Stratman; 04-17-2012, 05:38 AM. Reason: Moody mods
            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
              I've done that and a lot more to a stock
              - Replaced the input resistor with a 50k trim pot so I could fine tune it
              Did the input resistor change help with bottom end on the wah?

I dig my Crybaby Q-zone wah at times as a fixed wah filter.. kinda set-and-forget pedal. However, it sucks a bit too much of the bass out of the signal. I have opened it to try to tweak it, but the only trim pot is there to limit the top of the "sweep" (frequency center on the knobs).

I have toyed with the idea of changing out the input resitor to try to recapture some low end.

Comment

Mojo posted something cool on facebook today; a retrofit kit for Crybaby and Vox 847 wahs, with a bunch of mini-slider switches to change up the sounds.

looks pretty cool. I think i might pick up one sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post
                  Did the input resistor change help with bottom end on the wah?

I dig my Crybaby Q-zone wah at times as a fixed wah filter.. kinda set-and-forget pedal. However, it sucks a bit too much of the bass out of the signal. I have opened it to try to tweak it, but the only trim pot is there to limit the top of the "sweep" (frequency center on the knobs).

I have toyed with the idea of changing out the input resitor to try to recapture some low end.
                  It might, but I doubt it. I was mainly using it to ensure that wah level = bypass level. If anything, it will bring back more treble.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                    I use a Teese RCM3, do none of those modifications are necessary…

If you are interested in a source for mood’s...

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/Pe...-Wah-Pedal-Kit
                    So are we talkin wah mods or wah moods? ;o) I owned a Picture Wah for a very short time,but returned it because my own modded Vox 847 was more vocal and a cooler looking wah also...
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                      Mojo posted something cool on facebook today; a retrofit kit for Crybaby and Vox 847 wahs, with a bunch of mini-slider switches to change up the sounds.

looks pretty cool. I think i might pick up one sometime.
                      Holy crap that's awesome! I've been looking for something almost exactly like this! I'll be picking this up soon, and report back once I've got it all together.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I have a standard stock Crybaby. I like it just the way it is. It fits my playing style and the tone is good. I just hated the black finish so....

www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                          It might, but I doubt it. I was mainly using it to ensure that wah level = bypass level. If anything, it will bring back more treble.
                          I have found that the bass is more full using the deep mode on my 2:Ninety or just switching to my APH neck pickup. I tried using the Q-zone as a mid-boost for a while, but really, it is what it is, which is a fixed wah pedal. It does still sound great when I play lead lines in the wah's sweet spot.

It isn't the most versitile wah, but it is one of the easiest to use.

And just an HC forum picture borrowed for reference:

Comment

I have a Fulltone Clyde deluxe. I like it , but If I could do it all over I'd just get the regular Cylde. I basically keep it in the Jimi position 99% of the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X