Finding the impedance of an unmarked speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the impedance of an unmarked speaker

Anyone know how to do it? I was just given a 10 inch G-K speaker today, and I want to find out if I can use it to replace the shredded stock speaker in my 50-year-old Gibson Skylark amp. It requires 8 ohms.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Finding the impedance of an unmarked speaker

Use a multi meter. They usually read at a couple of Ohms lower than what they are. EG:Most 8 Ohm speakers will read around 6 Ohms on a multi meter.
    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
      Use a multi meter. They usually read at a couple of Ohms lower than what they are. EG:Most 8 Ohm speakers will read around 6 Ohms on a multi meter.
      There ya go!

If you hit the terminals with a meter expect to see something around 6.5 or 14.5 give or take...maybe even 3...3 or so would be a 4 ohm, 6 or so would be 8 then 14ish is 16...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, fellers. Unfortunately, the speaker reads at 13.8, so I cannot use it. And now I have one more useless thing sitting around. Damn!

I think one of those $40 15W Weber 10-inchers is in my future. I'd love to get a CVA-10 or CTA-10, but $85 is a bit much to invest in this amp when all it does is serve as a bedroom amp or occasional practice amp.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-15-2012, 08:20 AM.
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Why can't you use it? It makes sound, correct? If the Skylark has 8 ohms on it, then it doesn't want to see any LESS than 8 ohms. More is okay. IE: 8-16ohm speaker on a 8ohm xformer setting.

Sometimes, a higher impedance speaker on a low impedance xformer setting smoothes out the tones a sliver.
          Last edited by Soulcrusher_X; 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM.

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

Is that the brown "tolex" Skylark with the front mounted single volume control??

If so just grab a Weber Signature 10 inch...I like the alnico version with the ribbed cone!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              Is that the brown "tolex" Skylark with the front mounted single volume control??

If so just grab a Weber Signature 10 inch...I like the alnico version with the ribbed cone!
              Yep, that's the amp, and that's the speaker I was looking at. I was actually leaning toward the straight cone, though.

The amp sat in an abandoned house on BLM land in the desert for at least 15 years, near a window. It was covered in an inch of desert dust and full of rat's nests. It worked, but would shut off after about 30 minutes of playing. Paid $100 to have it fixed, and it works great now. But that speaker is like a saltine cracker. Brittle as ****, and has a hole in it. The amp works fine, but that speaker is really dragging it down.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-15-2012, 08:27 AM.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                Yep, that's the amp, and that's the speaker I was looking at. I was actually leaning toward the straight cone, though.
                straight cones are cool I guess...sort of a cheap/trashy sound, I prefer the slightly cleaner more articulate tone of a ribbed cone most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  straight cones are cool I guess...sort of a cheap/trashy sound, I prefer the slightly cleaner more articulate tone of a ribbed cone most of the time.
                  Exactly why I want the straight cone for this amp. I am hoping for "good trashy," unlike what is in there now, which is "bad trashy" from that 50-year-old, sun-baked, holey stock speaker.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

+1 on the Weber Signature alnico...cheap and will get you pretty close to a early P10R tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                      Why can't you use it? It makes sound, correct? If the Skylark has 8 ohms on it, then it doesn't want to see any LESS than 8 ohms. More is okay. IE: 8-16ohm speaker on a 8ohm xformer setting.

Sometimes, a higher impedance speaker on a low impedance xformer setting smoothes out the tones a sliver.
                      I am operating under the rule of thumb (possibly incorrect, as rules of thumb can certainly be) that solid state amps could go with a higher impedance load with no problem, but tube amps were more sensitive to having proper impedance matching.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

If the amp wants to see 8 ohms a tube amp can handle 100% mismatch in EITHER direction, meaning a 4, 8 or even a 16 ohm speaker will work in your amp however in my experience if the amp wants to see 8 and you go to 16 the amp will loose punch and sound a little gutless...not a great thing in a single ended 5 watt amp...

Comment

Exactly why I want the straight cone for this amp. I am hoping for "good trashy," unlike what is in there now, which is "bad trashy" from that 50-year-old, sun-baked, holey stock speaker.
                          Then go straight cone.

Comment

Thanks for all the info.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I am operating under the rule of thumb (possibly incorrect, as rules of thumb can certainly be) that solid state amps could go with a higher impedance load with no problem, but tube amps were more sensitive to having proper impedance matching.
                              Tube amps are a little more forgiving, but I try to keep the mismatch with the speakers being the higher number, but that's just me.

Though, like TGWIF said, since it's a single-ended 5 watter, keeping as close to the suggested rating will probably keep the amp from sounding too 'choked'. Who knows, the little extra resistance may allow you to open it up more and it may end up sounding good. Try it out, it could sound awesome. Though, going with a Weber is never a bad idea.

LP Custom
                              Greenbacks
                              Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                              X