NPD X3 - EPIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD X3 - EPIC

So I'm on my way out, but I thought I'd let you guys know what I got this week/today (two separate shipments)

And while it's not a pedal, I finally ditched my 1-spot and got a Voodoo Labs PPII+. Very happy about that, as it means I can fill up my board and have regulated, isolated power all of my effects.

Initial impressions of the pedals are great. I've never had a compressor before, and I forsee it'll take a bit of getting used to the effect. I REALLY like the ML Jr - it's a keeper for sure. Got to play that one for a few hours and HOLY CRAP does it smoke. Only had about 15 minutes with the RAH, but I really like it so far. It's as dynamic, if not more so, than my Sunface. I don't want to be hasty, but I'm considering selling my Box of Rock, it's that good.

Of course, even on the day I got all of this, I'm not satisfied. I'm ordering a new pedal as we speak (damn your tempting sales PGS!!!) and it should be here next week.

I's happy
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: NPD X3 - EPIC

Very nice!

You have to be in good with the PGS guys by now!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Haha, yeah... I have given them quite a bit of business, haven't I?
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

A bit yea...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

You's crazy, mang!

I'd love to own any of those.

Congrats.

Comment

I've typed up this review three times to have the page expire on me. I can't do it again, so I'll come back and elaborate when I'm less frustrated.

So I've spent a little bit more time with each of these pedals, and I wanted to share some observations. I haven't tried them at volume yet - hopefully next weekend.

Memory Lane Jr: Wow. This is an amazing, amazing delay. The repeats have that wonderful analog warmth, yet it manages to stay nice and clear at the same time. I think it would fit very nicely in a mix. The modulation is just killer. I really like that you can set up the tap switch to either double the current delay time or turn on and off the modulation. I have it set up for modulation - I find it really handy to go from a nice shorter delay time to a longer, modulated delay. I think Diamond has a home run on their hands with this one. Yeah, it's not 100% analog, but it's less digital than most other digital delays out there. Plus, it's not a monstrosity like the Memory Lane 2, it runs on a 9V power supply, and it's got 1200MS of delay time. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.

Wampler Ego: Now, I've never played with a compressor before, so I've got nothing to compare it too. However, I really, really like this one. Very transparent, plenty of volume for using as a clean boost. If you're like me and haven't used a compressor with a blend before, it may take a bit of fiddling to find the right combination of sustain and blend. However, once you get it to that sweet spot, it's just great. I use it to add some spice to my cleans. It works beautifully.

Catalinbread RAH:

HOLY. FRAK.

This may just be the best "amp in a box" or dare I say, best dirt pedal, I've ever played. In a matter of minutes, it knocked my Vexter Box of Rock off my board. I turned on the RAH, turned it off and turned on the BOR, and less than ten seconds later I decided I was going to sell it. The RAH is seriously that good.

I use it with the gain dimed and ride my guitar's volume knob to vary how much distortion is in my signal. It's an incredibly dynamic pedal, very touch responsive. I was surprised how good it sounded with single coils. I've actually played it more with a Strat than with humbuckers, to be honest. But either way, it's got that authority that you want in a brit-voiced pedal. Power chords can be nice 'n chunky or thick and middy, depending on how you set the mid control. (The mid control is one of my favorite features of the pedal. I wish all amp in a box pedals had a 3 band eq.)

Something else I've noticed with Catalinbread pedals, or at least the two I've had - they have quotes etched into the back of the PCB. Pretty cool, huh? The one they used on the RAH is... entertaining, to say the least. I'll try and get a picture up tomorrow.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ML Jr and the RAH. I'm still getting used to having a compressor, but I really enjoy it so far, and I'm liking it even more the more I play with it. I'm going to move it around in the signal chain and see if I can get it to work a little bit better with my other dirt pedals. Where do you guys usually put your compressors?

And the best part - I've got a Dr Scientist The Elements shipping out tomorrow! Should be here Wednesday. I've been through quite a few pedals already this year, and I'm settling down on my favorites. I've only got one more pedal left to buy, and my board will be full. I'll have everything I need all on one board.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Every time you start an NPD thread I find out about a new pedal maker that I didn't know existed.

Congrats, man.
              I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

I swear to god, I'm turning into a TGP member. I've even started reading it - only for the "show your pedalboard" threads though. They lock them down when they get over 1000 posts. They're on thread number #25 now.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

....right about that!!
                  And it is a disease!
                  Good health to you in the future
                  Hehehe

Got a box full of all kinds of pedals.......most of them collects dust!
                  Never used that many as it is......but I have them for reference these days.....and it really do not make me feel any happier either!

The old lesson about the great amps and guitars still applies.....even in this moronic century of pedal hoarding and flipping!

Comment

Can we get some vids?

Nice score. Always wanted to try a wampler.
                    Originally posted by grumptruck
                    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                    Originally posted by Gear Used
                    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

Just thought I'd update this thread - finally got around to taking some pictures. Here's what I meant about the RAH's circuit board. I got a huge kick out of it.

Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Thats awesome hahaha
                        Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                        Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
                          Every time you start an NPD thread I find out about a new pedal maker that I didn't know existed.

Congrats, man.
                          Every time he starts a NPD thread I by a used pedal from him......
                          Originally posted by MikeS
                          a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
                          Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                          whats becoming of this generation
                          We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

That's badass.

Comment

Working...
                            X