Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Messin' with the Tommy Bolin setup

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    I really have no idea, to tell the truth. I just plug into amps til I find a sound I like and then crank the bejeebus out of it. The UG30 definitely has more grunt and LF push than the Prescription Jr, but the midrange isn't quite as open ...
    Ya know, that's something about Dr. Z amps...all of 'em really...they all have the most amazing midrange character ever!!!!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      I have learned a few things with the "Bolin" setup:

- The BOSS TU-2 is a pretty sizable tone-suck, at least with low output single coils
      - I REALLY like my tone when I'm only going through a couple of pedals
      - Conventional wisdom is all well and good, but sometimes doing something 'wrong' can be so right. In this case, I am running Echo > fuzz > phase, as Bolin did. By today's wisdom, this is not the 'correct' order, BUT -- it sounds great!
      yeh that is an unusual order!
      how does it sound fuzz,phase then space echo?
      my hartman fuzz would never forgive me for going anywhere but first, but mine's a germanium NKT model so mebbe thats why it wont behave like yours does. Is the bolin a silicon hi gain type thing? I had a superfuzz that didint seem to mind where it was in the chain. Makes life a lot easier!
      Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM.
      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
        my hartman fuzz would never forgive me for going anywhere but first, but mine's a germanium NKT model so mebbe thats why it wont behave like yours does. Is the bolin a silicon hi gain type thing?
        The Bolin is a clone of the Sam Ash Fuzzz Boxx.

It is Silicon but very low gain...very interesting unit, one of the earliest Si fuzz pedals I know of.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

It sounds good, but not as fun!

my hartman fuzz would never forgive me for going anywhere but first, but mine's a germanium NKT model so mebbe thats why it wont behave like yours does. Is the bolin a silicon hi gain type thing?
          No, not hi gain at all.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Ya'll are making me want to find a delay and put it in front of my dirt boxes lol.
            Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
              Ya'll are making me want to find a delay and put it in front of my dirt boxes lol.
              That's the way I do it with pedals...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                That's the way I do it with pedals...
                I remember seeing that. It's why I love this place. I have learned a lot about the 'right ways' and then how to throw all that out the window. I've thought about gettin a simple analog delay to mess with it, but just havn't done it yet. Thinking of the aqua puss or an older EH memory man if I could find one at a good price lol.
                Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxplorer View Post
                  I remember seeing that. It's why I love this place. I have learned a lot about the 'right ways' and then how to throw all that out the window. I've thought about gettin a simple analog delay to mess with it, but just havn't done it yet. Thinking of the aqua puss or an older EH memory man if I could find one at a good price lol.
                  If you don't need a lot of time or frills the AP MK II is an AMAZING echo unit...I really like mine a lot!

Comment

Ooooh, man -- so happy with this setup!!!! Had a jam @ Ultra tonight working on a new song. Strat > Bolin rig > Bruno Underground 40 head into a Diezel 4x12. Recorded from about 20 ft away using the Tascam DR-1; a little bit of mic clipping due to the volume.

Comment

Great sounds, but i thought you were all about 2w amps?
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Bolin doubled many of his parts on CTTB- his basic tone is pretty thin. But you certainly need an Echoplex and a phaser. Live it was a little thicker, but any live Bolin with DP generally was a bad performance. Listen to 'This Time Around'. Bolin was pretty far gone at this point, and the rest of the band did their best to cover for him.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

(You need to dig up a real tape for your home stuff man It would be awesome!!)
                          Cool stuff and sweet old school tones....
                          The tonesuck is mostly related to the mismatching impedances(prolly)
                          Really loved that last clip!

Comment

Great sounds, but i thought you were all about 2w amps?
                            I am, but I usually do not bring my amps to rehearsal. It's a chance to try out other amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                              (You need to dig up a real tape for your home stuff man It would be awesome!!)
                              I would love to; one day, perhaps.

Cool stuff and sweet old school tones....
                              Thanks!

The tonesuck is mostly related to the mismatching impedances (prolly)
                              Really loved that last clip!
                              That's my guess, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X