No announcement yet.

Genalex - Gold Lion Tubes.........???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Genalex - Gold Lion Tubes.........???

Sylvanias? Is it the STR387s? Have you tried the Ruby 6L6s? So far, in most of my amps, those Rubys have been my favorites. Supposedly they are a reproduction of the Slylvania 387s. I used the JJs a long time ago, which were good, but I can't remember too much of what they were like.

I wasn't too big of a fan of the SED =C= or Svet 6L6GCs in the MKIII, but the wrong grade may have been selected. (I didnt have it modded for adustable bias) I read that they are better with the bias set hotter than usual.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Comment

Yep, 387's. The early marks were biased pretty warm too, I think they cooled the bias on the mark IV's, mine pops fuses with GT 6's, so yeah, it's pretty hot.

I've heard good and bad about the ruby/mesa 440, they're supposed to be real similar to the TAD STR, which I have, so I never really considered them. The TAD's aren't bad, just not in the Sylvania class. Hopefully these 7581's are.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
        Yep, 387's. The early marks were biased pretty warm too, I think they cooled the bias on the mark IV's, mine pops fuses with GT 6's, so yeah, it's pretty hot.

I've heard good and bad about the ruby/mesa 440, they're supposed to be real similar to the TAD STR, which I have, so I never really considered them. The TAD's aren't bad, just not in the Sylvania class. Hopefully these 7581's are.
        Good and bad about the Ruby/Mesa 440? lol well.....

Good: Personally, I love the big, growly, articulate 3D tones.
        Bad: They drift out of spec pretty quickly. Luckily, Doug spec'd me out some good ones, so they stayed in a comfortable range when they settled.

So, if the real deal 387s are better than the TAD/Ruby/440s, then I need to find some. If you try those 7581s and they are better still, then I NEED some.

You said you tried the =C= 6L5s, right? What did you think of those?

LP Custom
        Greenbacks
        Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
        X