banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enhance my tone and how the V spots react to my amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to enhance my tone and how the V spots react to my amp?

Some of the brightness might be a little to do with that CL80. They do have a fairly neutral tone, but they can sometimes be bright. Sometimes, the V30s can be harsh. IF you still think it's bright when you get the tubes situated, maybe try some Greenbacks or G1265 variants?

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
      Is that a JJ ECC83S? Or the ECC803S? If it's got less than an inch between the plates, it's the former. If it's the long-plate version, I would argue it's a better tube, and it shouldn't sound too bad in V2. I think if you still want to tame the brightness, you should replace the V2 tube, and you should probably do it with a well-selected Chinese tube or a long-plate JJ. I like the Chinese ones better, but if you've already got an ECC803S, give that a shot. Soulcrusher_X likes the Penta brand, and I've never tried them. I like Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+.

I wouldn't blame you if you were turned off to JJs altogether. I don't really like them in the preamp at all, but I can understand where someone would find a use for the ECC803S. The ECC83, though, fuggeddaboudit.
      It was the short platted one, ecc83.
      Originally posted by grumptruck
      No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
      Originally posted by Gear Used
      PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
      Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
      Mesa Stiletto Ace
      Gurus 5015
      Mesa Widebody 1X12
      Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

The cathode follower is not the same as the phase inverter. The cathode follower's purpose is to lower the impedance of the circuit at that point to drive the tonestack. The Deliverance is a bit unorthodox in that one of the gain pots actually changes the EQ actively, so the tonestack isn't the only thing providing the EQ, but it needs some current to maintain signal integrity through the filters. I could put up some equations with filter frequencies and R and C values to prove all this stuff, but that would require a lot of confusing equations and not much real-life applicability. It would also be testing portions of my brain I shut off long ago.
        Actually im well aware of that. The reason i didnt explain the difference between a cathode follower and a phase inverter for him is it would have done nothing but confuse him. My point was some people will refer to V4 in his amp as a PI and some will refer to it as a cathode follower either way its the same position.

Ive read the stuff Myles Rose has written about the PI slot I once had a long conversation with Doug Roccaforte about it and you are right people wont come to an agreement about it.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Also a D60 owner, the thread is awesome!!! I know nothing about the "guts" of the amp, but according to my research and experience, if your cab doesn't say VHT or Fryette on it, the sound wont be as good. For whatever reason, these heads are picky about what cabs they like and which ones they don't. So if you have access to a VHT cab somewhere, it might be worth your time to try one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Burruss View Post
            Also a D60 owner, the thread is awesome!!! I know nothing about the "guts" of the amp, but according to my research and experience, if your cab doesn't say VHT or Fryette on it, the sound wont be as good. For whatever reason, these heads are picky about what cabs they like and which ones they don't. So if you have access to a VHT cab somewhere, it might be worth your time to try one out.
            It's more so speakers than it is cab. Though dimensions do play a role.

Also did you retube your amp at all? If so, what did you have luck with?
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

No, I haven't done it yet, but I will be in the next few months. There's this guy who sells tube sets designed specifically for a certain amp that you want. I don't remember the name, but I've sent an email to a friend, will be re-learning the name of the guy. I think he uses JJ's exclusively, if that helps.

Comment

the speakers in the cab I use, VHT Fatbottom 4x12, are P-50-E's. Custom made for Steve Fryette by Eminence I believe. They sound fantastic!

Comment

No, I haven't done it yet, but I will be in the next few months. There's this guy who sells tube sets designed specifically for a certain amp that you want. I don't remember the name, but I've sent an email to a friend, will be re-learning the name of the guy. I think he uses JJ's exclusively, if that helps.
                  You talking about Eurotubes? If so, I wouldn't recommend that option. They only sell JJ's. All JJ's in the VHT will sound bad.

That being said JJ KT88's rock and a ECC803 should sound good in V1-V2.

But unfortunately that's it.

I would recommend going through Dougstubes or Tubedepot.

Try a mix first, you can always swap some later.

Power Tubes:

JJ KT88s
                  Gold Lion Kt88s
                  Tungsol 6550
                  EHX 6550
                  Winged C's 6550

should all be pretty good.

Pre amp:

Tungsols, EHX, Sovtek LPS have all worked well for me. Looking to pick up a Mullard and a JJ Ec803 down the line.
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

the speakers in the cab I use, VHT Fatbottom 4x12, are P-50-E's. Custom made for Steve Fryette by Eminence I believe. They sound fantastic!
                    Yea the P50E's were designed by Fryette. Frequency and Schematic wise, they are similar to Vintage 30s. I'm almost thinking that they are probably really similar to EVM 12L's.

I hear the Fat Bottom cabs are real nice. Bigger dimensions. I would love to pick up the 212 cab down the line.
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                      You talking about Eurotubes? If so, I wouldn't recommend that option. They only sell JJ's. All JJ's in the VHT will sound bad.

That being said JJ KT88's rock and a ECC803 should sound good in V1-V2.

But unfortunately that's it.

I would recommend going through Dougstubes or Tubedepot.

Try a mix first, you can always swap some later.

Power Tubes:

JJ KT88s
                      Gold Lion Kt88s
                      Tungsol 6550
                      EHX 6550
                      Winged C's 6550

should all be pretty good.

Pre amp:

Tungsols, EHX, Sovtek LPS have all worked well for me. Looking to pick up a Mullard and a JJ Ec803 down the line.
                      Yes I was talking about euro tubes. I wouldn't have ever thought that talking to Bob over at euro tubes would be a bad idea.

Comment

Yea the P50E's were designed by Fryette. Frequency and Schematic wise, they are similar to Vintage 30s. I'm almost thinking that they are probably really similar to EVM 12L's.

I hear the Fat Bottom cabs are real nice. Bigger dimensions. I would love to pick up the 212 cab down the line.
                        I HIGHLY recommend it. Best cab I've heard, and even luckier to own it.

Comment

Yes I was talking about euro tubes. I wouldn't have ever thought that talking to Bob over at euro tubes would be a bad idea.
                          No, don't get me wrong. Bob is awesome, really good person, great customer service. You have to keep in mind that he sells JJ's, so that's what he would suggest for you. That's all they sell, so ofcourse he's going recommend you a full set of..... JJs.
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

If the P50E is similar to the V30, then it is WAYYYY difference than the EVM12L. The EVM is a 200 or 300 watt speaker depending on the version, 160oz magnet, large dome, straight cone. Nowhere near V30.

LP Custom
                            Greenbacks
                            Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                              Actually im well aware of that. The reason i didnt explain the difference between a cathode follower and a phase inverter for him is it would have done nothing but confuse him. My point was some people will refer to V4 in his amp as a PI and some will refer to it as a cathode follower either way its the same position.

Ive read the stuff Myles Rose has written about the PI slot I once had a long conversation with Doug Roccaforte about it and you are right people wont come to an agreement about it.
                              Well, I think also, in this amp, the PI being a Cathodyne rather than a long-tail is also a little confusing probably for some. So, technically, yes it is a cathode-follower and yes, it is a phase inverter.

LP Custom
                              Greenbacks
                              Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                                If the P50E is similar to the V30, then it is WAYYYY difference than the EVM12L. The EVM is a 200 or 300 watt speaker depending on the version, 160oz magnet, large dome, straight cone. Nowhere near V30.
                                I meant that in this way. P50E has some characteristics of the V30, almost if they took one and tweaked it out. Same could be said with EVM 12L specifically speaking of Zakk Wylde who used to use V30s but wanted something more. So almost like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.
                                Mesa Stiletto Ace
                                Gurus 5015
                                Mesa Widebody 1X12
                                Pedalboard

Comment

Working...
                                X