wampler ego compressor vs dmb spankenstein or other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wampler ego compressor vs dmb spankenstein or other

Hey all I'm looking for a small footprint compressor pedal (ideally $200 or less) so far my contenders are the Wampler Ego Compressor (love the clean blend knob and tone variations) and the DMB Spankenstein.

I really want something that has a clean blend knob. Ideally I'm looking for that nashville/country squash and something that will have a nice jangly sound for my 12 string (think byrds and other jangle pop). And I want something with a small footprint.

I think right now the Wampler is probably going to win me over because of it's versatility with tone shaping. But I'm open to other suggestions as well, and if you make a suggestion please attach a demo video from youtube (if one exists).

Thanks everyone for participating I'd like to decide in the next couple weeks.

Also in other news I'm having DMB build me a custom dual drive pedal (it's a 4 knob Stellar Drive into a 4 knob Lexi Drive in a single enclosure). I'm doing a teal enclosure with cream knobs. That should be arriving in a couple weeks and I will post pics when she comes.

Re: wampler ego compressor vs dmb spankenstein or other

I actually just got an Ego last week. I really, really, REALLY like it. Go for the Ego.

Just FYI, it's a slight bit bigger than the DMB Spankenstein. I don't remember the enclosure numbers, but it's about a quarter inch longer and wider than the standard MXR-sized box. It's the same size as my top jack sunface and my Dr Scientist Elements.

That custom DMB sounds really cool. I've been getting way into boutique pedals lately - besides what I already mentioned, I recently acquired a Catalinbread RAH, a Cusack Tap a Whirl, and a Diamond Memory Lane Jr. I've also got a custom Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom XS (same pedal, just in an MXR size box) on its way to me. I love the boutique stuff. Congrats on your future DMB and hopefully your new Ego Comp!
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I still for the life of me do not get the clean blend on compressors. I'm pretty sure a simple amplitude graph can prove it actually negates the effect of the comp.

I still dig my Monte Allums CS-3 in all kinds of ways. Wish they had those back in the day (the day being the 80's).
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        I still for the life of me do not get the clean blend on compressors. I'm pretty sure a simple amplitude graph can prove it actually negates the effect of the comp.
        It's called parallel(or New York style)compression and it functions more like what one might call a sustainer. You get somewhat normal transients combined with the sustain and fatness of heavy compression. If the compression circuit has a lot of squashing artifacts it can still even sound heavily compressed even though more peaks are slipping through.

One might say the end result is that it pulls up valleys rather smashing the peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
          It's called parallel(or New York style)compression and it functions more like what one might call a sustainer. You get somewhat normal transients combined with the sustain and fatness of heavy compression. If the compression circuit has a lot of squashing artifacts it can still even sound heavily compressed even though more peaks are slipping through.

One might say the end result is that it pulls up valleys rather smashing the peaks.
          that's exactly what I'm after, I want the option to blend back in some attack/sustain from the natural signal. I've tried dyna comps, keeley comps, etc and while nice I didn't like them as much as the Doubleback comp I tried, unfortunately it was just way too big for my already overwhelmed pedalboard.

I think I'm going to go for the Wampler I can save $20 if I order direct from Wampler anyway.

I don't mind if it's a little bigger than the MXR/DMB footprint I just don't want a huge box like the Doubleback. I already have a ravish sitar that takes up a ton of space and I've been considering a Line 6 MM4 or something similar to take the place of several modulation pedals on my board though I don't know how good it sounds compared to the standalone stompboxes it's modeling (uni-vibe, chorus, tremolo, rotary, flanger, phaser tones).

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post

Then set the attack to zero and sustain all the way up. Big whoop.... [assumes you aren't dealing with dyna-comp, etc...)
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It is just how you do in studios....
              What the big thing for guitar should be escapes me bigtime...but well who am I to know?

Comment

Basically I am looking for options because other comps I have owned/used dont do everything I want. I love brad paisleys tone and he uses the ego comp. Really the ego comp is what I want but since its a $200 pedal I just want to ensure that I am making the best informed choice possible. It isnt a pedal I intend to always leave on, it is an effect for me.

I would rather buy one comp pedal that can do a variety of tones than have to get a janglebox for ny 12 string uses and something like a keeley comp or w/e for the country squash.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Then set the attack to zero and sustain all the way up. Big whoop.... [assumes you aren't dealing with dyna-comp, etc...)
                  Bah, whatever. I lack motivation to convince or disprove.
                  Last edited by ParameterMan; 04-20-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by indie folk guy View Post
                    Basically I am looking for options because other comps I have owned/used dont do everything I want. I love brad paisleys tone and he uses the ego comp. Really the ego comp is what I want but since its a $200 pedal I just want to ensure that I am making the best informed choice possible. It isnt a pedal I intend to always leave on, it is an effect for me.

I would rather buy one comp pedal that can do a variety of tones than have to get a janglebox for ny 12 string uses and something like a keeley comp or w/e for the country squash.
                    I think you should get the Ego Comp. It seems to handle being walloped by higher-output, bassier pickups much better than either the original Ross/MXR units or any current boutique copy but still has that nice bite. Just seems to be a really well-balanced circuit.

* Disclaimer: I don't own, neither have a personally played one. I have done a lot of intarweb research and it's on my list of pedals to own someday.

Comment

You know, if you don't like it, you can always return it. I highly doubt that will happen, but still
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Working...
                      X