ISO Cab build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO Cab build

Upgrading what I have doesn't seem feasible as it won't fix the what I think are the core issues. Don't see anything on the market in my price range that does.

So, I began looking at a build...

First question. Plywood or MDF? MDF seems like a more dead, less resonate material than plywood and would help tame cab resonance. Plywood on the other hand is much stronger and is a material used typically in great sounding cabs. I think the plan would have a box built of 3 layers of 3/4" which should make MDF strong enough and plywood much less resonant so I am debating which way to go. Would the Green glue be a better choice than wood glue for the construction?

Second question. What about dimensions. I know there are formulas used for room design to help break up or minimize node issues. Does it make sense to design the interior space using that same concept? If so, what is the formula again? I want to say its like 5/4/3 or something like that but I can't remember.

Third/Fourth/Fifth question. Does making the interior with non parallel walls make sense? Should I pack it up with absorptive materials to catch reflections like a full size room? What would be the best absorptive material to use in an ISO cab? I am pretty certain I will want a good amount to kill reflections in the box but I would like to not wipe out a lot of high end at the same time.

I know its going to be a juggling act regardless but the larger interior with better control of reflections and thicker laminated box to control cab resonance better should result in a better sounding cab along with a heavy beast of a contraption.

Re: ISO Cab build

I've had one of these for years. Works like a treat. Might give you an idea of how to start.

Comment

Re: ISO Cab build

MDF is plenty strong. 3 layers of 3/4" mdf (in a box the size of the link) would result in a box that weighs over 200 pounds.
      Thats a LOT of overkill
      Bonding MDF with Plain wood glue results in the two pieces becoming one. No need for anything fancy.

I have built boxes for 12" subwoofers with well over 500W RMS going to each (of 4) out of 1 layer of 3/4 MDF
      Supported about 155 Db of sound.
      I would go with a single layer of 3/4 with the inside lined with sound deadening (like the cab in the link)
      More sound is going to escape through the necessary openings and latches than through the MDF
      Originally posted by MikeS
      a "career" of playing sold-out bedroom shows to the posters on my wall.
      Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
      whats becoming of this generation
      We want to listen to music while we mow the lawn.

Comment

Working...
      X