banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inherent volume loss with modulation? Expert advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherent volume loss with modulation? Expert advice needed!

Was curious if with the use of modulation, there is typically a volume loss? I am an old school analog pedal user, and over time I've noticed a volume loss here and there. I am trying out a Line 6 M9, which I really like, but once again noticed with the mix up (on individual effect) there seems to be a volume loss.

Just curious if this is to be expected?

Re: Inherent volume loss with modulation? Expert advice needed!

It depends on the pedal, I think. Some pedals are strictly additive while others store and then release energy a short time later. Those latter pedals may reduce volume if they are set below the incoming signal's level. It's also possible that there's a problem with a component leaking energy, maybe even a grounding problem in a specific pedal. There could be competing EQ's going on somewhere too. I'd do the typical troubleshooting in cables and connections...it could be something as simple as oxidation on a plug or in a jack, reason enough not to just leave stuff plugged in all the time. Yank the plugs daily or once a week, whatever, so that the contacts stay scuffed up. Even cigarette smoke or perfumes, stuff like that, can coat metal contact surfaces and induce losses over time. -Rod-
    2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Heritage Cherry Sunburst
    Gibson 2010 Flood Anniversary Les Paul, Blue Swirl

Jet City JCA22H Full Stack
    BOSS GT-10 effects

Comment

Working...
    X