Gibson Gold tone Trace Elliots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Gold tone Trace Elliots?

Anyone play these still? I see a few pop up on ebay from time to time. The later ones seem to be better built. I used to enjoy jamming on the 15RVS they had at MF for a long time. Kinda wish I'd gotten it back in the day just cuz the damn thing looks so cool. Sounded pretty good too.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Gibson Gold tone Trace Elliots?

i thought they were great amps when they came out. i think gearjonser still has one

Comment

I really like the GA30RVS. It's sorta like a Vox AC-30 that's more woody than chimey.
      It's actually 2 separate 15W amps running in stereo, sharing the same reverb pan. It's got some of the best reverb I've ever heard, because it's sort of a pseudo stereo verb.

This is the amp that Joe Perry used in the late 90's/early 2000's, so it sounds really good with Gibson guitars.....Fenders too. It's a very loud amp too, and the EL-84 breakup is really nice.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention about my Goldtone is that it has a lot of useful features, despite only having a volume/tone/reverb.

First, it's got a boost that turns on another gain stage I believe.
        Second, each of the stereo sides has it's own FX loop and external speaker out. Because of it's two loops, I can use the amp as a stereo power amp with other preamps or my Vox Tonelab. It's like owning a stereo power amp combo.

If I want, I can even run one side through one of the combo speakers, and send the other side to a closed back 212 cab.

So, despite having only 3 knobs on the back, it's the most versatile tube combo I've ever owned. I'm glad they discontinued it too, so the value of mine will go up. These are real sleeper amps because they don't cost as much as boutiques, but sound just as good. I wish I also had the GA15RV. At least it's not as loud.
        Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-01-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Well built amps...very robust construction.

I've had a few in the shop over the years and none of them had any type of component failure...all were tube issues.
          Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
            Well built amps...very robust construction.

I've had a few in the shop over the years and none of them had any type of component failure...all were tube issues.
            All in all a pretty neat design for this Goltone, yet, even thouigh i do have a similar amp in that it has pCB mounted tube sockets and Pots ( Carlsbro), I'm trying to wean myself off such amps..Joneser should deal that Gibbo, IMO the Matchless eliminates any great need for that amp.;

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              All in all a pretty neat design for this Goltone, yet, even thouigh i do have a similar amp in that it has pCB mounted tube sockets and Pots ( Carlsbro), I'm trying to wean myself off such amps..Joneser should deal that Gibbo, IMO the Matchless eliminates any great need for that amp.;
              Having the same tubes doesn't mean they overlap tonally. Besides, why would you sell a good sounding amp if you doesn't need money or space?

Comment

They were pretty cool. *Almost* got a 30...but chiked. Dangit.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdV View Post
                  Having the same tubes doesn't mean they overlap tonally. Besides, why would you sell a good sounding amp if you doesn't need money or space?
                  Actually, I could use money and space but I use the amp and like it.

Also, they don't overlap much at all. They sound different enough in tone and reverb sound that they're both their own thing.

The Matchless Chieftain is like a Bassman preamp with a gain knob, running into a dual EL-34 power section. It's like a super Bassman in a sense.

The Goldtone is like two AC-15's running in stereo with a Fender Reverb tank, but louder with a firmer bottom end.

But yeah, the Matchless is one of the best amps I've ever plugged into. If I use it with something like the Klon or Green Rhino, it's a beast.....the fatness of the notes is unparalleled.

Comment

snagged it off ebay, 429 plus s/h

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Sweet deal!!

Comment

Should have bought a new one 10 years ago.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I saw the amp you probably bought- the 1x12 combo, and at the time I remember thinking;"that seems like a very good deal", and didn't post it here -didnt want you to get orpheo'd or P.O.'d.
                          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

All's fair on ebay. I popped a $451 bid in with 10 seconds left. I was it. Sold for 429. Kinda odd since all that appears wrong with it is the logo is broken and I can get a new one for less than 20 bucks. I think these are sleeper amps. Joe's right, they ain't building more of them.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
                              All's fair on ebay. I popped a $451 bid in with 10 seconds left. I was it. Sold for 429. Kinda odd since all that appears wrong with it is the logo is broken and I can get a new one for less than 20 bucks. I think these are sleeper amps. Joe's right, they ain't building more of them.
                              I think the Gibson Goldtones are a treasure that has been overlooked.
                              I wish I had all of them, in a perfect world.

The logos were pretty fragile, and I don't know if there's many left, unless you know of a good place to find some. There's a little ding in my logo, and I wish I had an extra, as well as some of that grill cloth. That's one flaw on these amps is how easily the cloth warps. There's a tricky way to take these amps apart, and that's necessary to even staple the cloth back in place.

As much is made of Vox, Matchless, Bad Cat, and all the rest, the Gibson Goldtones of the late 90's/early 2000's are some of the best EL-84 production amps ever. No question about it.

Here's the dealer that deals most with Goldtones, and even they don't have many part left. In the 2000's, they used to have a lot of logos, circuit boards, cloth, tolex etc. I think they're running dry.
                              British Audio is located in West Nashville, TN Repair, Restore, Rebuild-Guitar Amps, Tube, Solid State, Digital, Pro-Audio, HiFi, Studio Gear, Mixing Consoles, Studio Monitors, Keyboards, Digital Pianos, Synthesizers, Powered Speakers, Subwoofers, & Guitars Retail Shop-Strings, Cables, Accessories, Tubes, Parts
                              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-01-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X