Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavy vypers?

I have a feeling Ill regret posting this... haha

Whats the thought on these? I need practice amp with headphone jack. yest I played a vyper (65) for awhile and though I dont think its a hifi marvel, I did find alot of fun and useful sounds in it. I was really supprised by the 6505 model. Id LOVE to have a 5150 or 6505 cuz I love that fat tone they put out, but I need more than that one tone, so I dont have one. I had fun pummeling away on it with the vyper and then moving on to other things.
    what are your thoughts? I asked about the reliability, as I have the feeling they wont see YEARS of use and the sales guy said probably 3-4 years with alot of play.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: peavy vypers?

Which one were you looking at? They have the 100watt head with the tube power section "from a 6505". Like you said, they're fun, I used a SS combo once and it was cool. Bout as useful as any modeler our there... I think if I were ever serious and a modeling rig I'd go with an eleven rack and a mos valve power amp. I'd have a little more confidence in toting that around. I just don't think the vypyrs have good build quality.

But IMO I always think they're very useful tools and have L6 podxt that has served me well. I just won't use it live.
    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

great little pratice amp for the $$$

Comment

I bought the Vypyr 30 head/112 cab setup in January and so far it's pretty nice. 12 amps w/ overdrives, and about all the major effects including reverse (which I have yet to figure out). The effects sound nice, no complaints. I know individual pedals would sound better than a do-all multi-effect, but they get the job done nicely enough. The distortions are really good though. It seems like with the 12 amp overdrives (6 amps are overdriven on the 'clean' channel, distortion on O/D ch.)+ fuzz + XR Wild + Tube Scrm you have endless possibilities. What it won't do is death metal, no good dist. for that (buy a pedal). I live in an apartment so I can't really let it stretch its legs, but for the $320 I paid for the amp & cabinet I don't have any regrets (yet).
        LTD M-50 W/ AHB-1 Blackouts.
        Thinline W/GFS Classic II
        Soloist W/Duncan Detonator
        LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
        Blackstar HT5-H.
        Custom 112 cab W/G12 75T.

Comment

Has Peavey ever really put out crap? seriously - name one piece of gear that was not generally working road band worthy at a decent price?

I can't imagine the Vyper is any different. Ignore the booteek illuminati, and haters. Peavey has rocked a thousand peiple for every ten Marshall has (maybe not quite that many...).

In all honesty, the ONE amp I wish I still had was my Peavey Studio Pro. It was one of the early transtube models. You could play effing anything with that amp.

And the 5150 model on my Cube - THAT is my sound baby!!!!
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i used a vypyr 100 exclusively for over a year and a half.

-lots of useful sounds from metal to blues to classic rock
            -awesome versatility
            -power sponge to simulate less power
            -aux input and output
            -sanperra 2 pedal makes accessing effects, amp modelers, and looper relatively convenient.

dislikes:
            -hissy digital noise surpressor sound when playing softly on all dirty or clean models. makes clean tones less than desirable to my ears
            -freezes up once in a blue moon and has to be rebooted.... like maybe once every 3 months.
            Last edited by rumblebox; 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM.
            Regarding any post I've made before 2018, assume I've changed my mind by now.

Comment

Oh yeah I can't believe I forgot, you REALLY need the footpedal but if you read the reviews on musiciansfriend or samash everyone says they are very complicated; the $120 one only got 3 of 5 stars. You don't hit one button and your done I guess. I'm reluctant to spend $120 on a complicated piece of equiptment, the $230 upgrade got 5 of 5 but $230 just for a channel changer? Really?
              LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
              Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Originally posted by rumblebox View Post
                dislikes:
                -hissy digital noise surpressor sound when playing softly on all dirty or clean models. makes clean tones useless.
                Is that what that noise is? Holy crap! I have another post here about using a tube amp just for cleans for that very reason, the rest of the amp is great just bad cleans. People thought I was crazy.
                LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
                  Oh yeah I can't believe I forgot, you REALLY need the footpedal but if you read the reviews on musiciansfriend or samash everyone says they are very complicated; the $120 one only got 3 of 5 stars. You don't hit one button and your done I guess. I'm reluctant to spend $120 on a complicated piece of equiptment, the $230 upgrade got 5 of 5 but $230 just for a channel changer? Really?
                  the foot pedal is actually pretty simple after a few minutes of familiarization... and it's pretty necessary if you want to get the full benefit of the onboard effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Bfeeney View Post
                    Is that what that noise is? Holy crap! I have another post here about using a tube amp just for cleans for that very reason, the rest of the amp is great just bad cleans. People thought I was crazy.

yea i called customer service and they said it's normal. i'm like... um no.

i'm not a huge fan of clean guitars anyway. i loved the distorted tones though.

my vypyr 100 and pedal is actually still for sale. the original buyer backed out.

Last edited by rumblebox; 04-27-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

they are fine as long as you dont mind weird background hissing noises when you use clean sounds.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Has Peavey ever really put out crap? seriously - name one piece of gear that was not generally working road band worthy at a decent price?
                        Valve King Royal 8. Easily the worst sounding amp I have ever played. Seriously, it was worse than the cheap solid state amps you get in those "my first guitar" amp + guitar packages.

Comment

Considering Peavey's catalog, if that's all you can come up with....
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Considering Peavey's catalog, if that's all you can come up with....
                            Yeah, one ain't bad, no ones perfect I guess.
                            LP W/GFS Crunchy Pats
                            Blackstar HT5-H.

Comment

The Wiggy was pretty bad too. But I like the Vypers. For a practice amp, they are great. There are even tutorials online to 'defang' them so they don't look so goofy.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X