Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Blackstar HT-1?

Hey folks,

Firstly for those who don;t know, my amp collection consists of a Marshall MG15 and a gorgeous Laney VC50. However, the Laney has to stay at my parents house while I'm up at uni, coz its just too big!

So I was playing through my Marshall earlier, and I noticed that the drive channel made a very strange crackly noise if i turned the volume or gain knobs at all, and sometimes the output would just drop dramatically. I tried it with different guitars so I know its an amp issue.

I started thinking about what might be wrong with it/where I might get it repaired, but then I thought "To be honest, I'm always complaining about how I don't have a nice amp to use up here in York, so maybe its time for a new amp!"

So I went browsing around a few websites, and came across this: http://www.andertons.co.uk/combo-amp...ith-reverb.asp

This looks like exactly what I need in an amp right now. Not too big, not too loud, but nice sounding. I listened to the demo video and liked what I heard, and there is a music store nearby that has some in stock so I can go try one out. I just thought I'd ask the forum if anyone has any experience with this amp?
    Ministers and superstars
    are drinking champagne in their cars
    6 strings on a 12 guitar
    all my dreams are made of stars
    and the rock and roll still burns in me

Re: Thoughts on Blackstar HT-1?

Hated mine. Fun for a few hours as it is organic like a tube amp, and has tube like dynamics. But I Returned it within 2 days. Buzzy bees nest tone. Speaker and enclosure are awful and contribute to crappy sound. No tone controls so you are stuck with muddy bees nest ( marshall) or scoopy american bees nest ( mesa).

Dont fall for the hype and increased expense, considering what it is....a bad tube preamp distortion pedal. Much better sounding practice amps out there for the money...Fender Mustang, Vox VT, roland cube xl. HT5 is much better as well.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I had previously been wondering about an HT5 or a Marshall Class 5. My concern there is that I'm worried even 5W tube will be too loud cranked. I live in a terraced house with paper-thin walls... Still, thanks for the heads up, I'll bear that in mind when I go to try it out.
      Ministers and superstars
      6 strings on a 12 guitar

Comment

Oh, the other thing I meant to say was that I frequently use a Boss Blues Driver pedal (which as an aside sounds fantastic through the Laney)
        Ministers and superstars
        6 strings on a 12 guitar

Comment

As you like your Laney, why not look at the LC15 or VC15? Maybe that's a little powerful though. Alternatively, get yourself to a Radiospares store and grab a can of contact cleaner - that may be all those pots need. A quick spray and waggling them back and forth a bit should help clean the tracks up.
          Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
            As you like your Laney, why not look at the LC15 or VC15? Maybe that's a little powerful though. Alternatively, get yourself to a Radiospares store and grab a can of contact cleaner - that may be all those pots need. A quick spray and waggling them back and forth a bit should help clean the tracks up.
            Yea I'm definitely looking for more of a practice amp. And regarding the Marshall, I don;t really like it that much anyway. It was a decent amp to start out with but it doesn't quite cut it anymore...
            Ministers and superstars
            6 strings on a 12 guitar

Comment

Get the contact cleaner anyway, it'll make it easier to sell at a decent price.

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Hi Mike,

As you are very limited for volume I would forget tube amps. You know I like my valve sounds but at home I'm more than happy to play through my Microcube. I basically only use the Plexi sound with a little chorus and delay and it sounds wonderful. A friend has the Line6 15 watter and that sounds really good as well. I like my tube amps for gigs but the little modellers are great for home use.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
                  Hi Mike,

As you are very limited for volume I would forget tube amps. You know I like my valve sounds but at home I'm more than happy to play through my Microcube. I basically only use the Plexi sound with a little chorus and delay and it sounds wonderful. A friend has the Line6 15 watter and that sounds really good as well. I like my tube amps for gigs but the little modellers are great for home use.
                  Hi Rich, how are you mate?

I will probably try out some solid state amps as well, but I guess I'm just a sucker for tube sounds... I blame you for that one!!

My eye was also caught by the VOX AC4, which has built-in attenuation down to 1/4 of a watt... Opinions??
                  Ministers and superstars
                  6 strings on a 12 guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Gingrel View Post
                    I had previously been wondering about an HT5 or a Marshall Class 5. My concern there is that I'm worried even 5W tube will be too loud cranked. I live in a terraced house with paper-thin walls... Still, thanks for the heads up, I'll bear that in mind when I go to try it out.
                    I play my HT-5 alot while I'm watching tv. I keep the volume below the tv's volume and it sounds great.

Comment

There's always the Lil' Nightrain and its matching cab - that runs at 1.5-2w. You should have no difficulty running that at home - I know I don't with mine, then again my neighbours are perhaps further away than yours.
                      Last edited by Chris of Arabia; 04-28-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, you're giving me lots of options to try out.
                        Ministers and superstars
                        6 strings on a 12 guitar

Comment

Working...
                        X