Overdrives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrives!

Well I have a few boards & a few overdrives. Yesterday I picked up a Maxxon OD808. So far I like it. I moved a few things around and I would up using this in my Shiva kind of like a clean boost. I had a modded TS9 there & I moved that onto the board that I use with my deluxe Reverb. The TS9 sounds much better with this amp. More drive & a lot more sustain. the one thing I did notice is the Mazzon doesn't have as much drive as the TS9 does, but it seems to have more clarity. My DR board I replaced the Classic Overdrive(MXR) with the TS9. All is good! i will need to sped a few days with the Maxxon to really get a feel for it, but so far it sounds really good!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Re: Overdrives!

Very cool!

Modded TS pedals are funny...most guys seem to mod them for more drive, more volume, less midrange and more low end, almost like they want a pedal that looks like a TS808 or TS9 but sounds more like a distortion pedal and less like an overdrive.

I know TS pedals in general have things about them that a lot of guys see as problems but when used as a boost or as an additional gain stage into an amp that's already cooking a bit it's hard to beat a good TS!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Amp pushed to break up + overdrive = awesome rock tone!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
        Very cool!

Modded TS pedals are funny...most guys seem to mod them for more drive, more volume, less midrange and more low end, almost like they want a pedal that looks like a TS808 or TS9 but sounds more like a distortion pedal and less like an overdrive.

I know TS pedals in general have things about them that a lot of guys see as problems but when used as a boost or as an additional gain stage into an amp that's already cooking a bit it's hard to beat a good TS!
        Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Amp pushed to break up + overdrive = awesome rock tone!
        Yes and yes

LP Custom
        Greenbacks
        Boss SD-1

Comment

The max on is kickin butt, I just got through running it through its paces and it's great. Not as much drive as the ts9, but it seems to retain the sound of the amp better
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
            The max on is kickin butt, I just got through running it through its paces and it's great. Not as much drive as the ts9, but it seems to retain the sound of the amp better

Dave are you comparing your new Maxon pedal to a modded one? Big differences not only in the overall gain,but also in the lows and mids on the modded pedal...
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              Dave are you comparing your new Maxon pedal to a modded one? Big differences not only in the overall gain,but also in the lows and mids on the modded pedal...
              That's the deal...modded TS pedals tend to beef up the lows, thin out the mids and add a lot of gain.

That can be cool but after trying a few of those types of modded TS pedals I realized that what you get in terms of less midrange and a bigger low end with more drive isn't worth what you have to give up in terms of cut and clarity.

There are so many killer OD pedals out there that do the fuller low end, smoother mids and more drive than a TS so better than any modded TS I say if that's the sound you want or need try one of those and let TS pedals be TS pedals...are they perfect, no but they do what they do better than anything else out there!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

That must be nice. I have a maxon VOP-9.

Official website for Maxon guitar effects and accessories. Learn about our pedals and artists, buy products online, get the latest news and reviews, downloads and more!
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                  Very cool!

!
                  LOL! Good observation!

I had an original 77' TS 808. Cool pedal, I owned it for almost 10 yrs. I played a TIMMY and never looked back. Sold it that week.

Comment

Originally posted by Soul Charter View Post
                    LOL! Good observation!

I had an original 77' TS 808. Cool pedal, I owned it for almost 10 yrs. I played a TIMMY and never looked back. Sold it that week.
                    I hear ya...I think there is room for all kinds of stuff in my arsenal.

I've got a half dozen or more OD pedals...all different and all very useful in their own way.

The rest of the rig, the sound I'm looking for and the amount of volume I can or have to use dictate what OD pedal I use!

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                      Never played a modded one. I was considering a Keeley Ts808 but decided on this. Its very nice. I sold my old TS9 to my other guitar player and he loves it. I still have the modded TS9 you did for me a bunch of years ago & I moved that onto my gigging board. It just sounds soooo good there. I like yhis Maxxon. it does a nice job....as I said earlier it sounds very natural, but doesn't have the drive of your TS9, but it sounds very clear. It works well, what I am doing is using it with the clean channel of my Shiva & when I kick in the OD channel it sings quite nicely.

If you decide you want to mod it.... PM me.... I am all ears..

Comment

I modded my TS9 to "ultimate" specs (several mods) and really liked it. Until... my OCD showed-up. After that, I could never really dig the TS9 again. The OCD is just so much more dynamic, has more headroom (especially in 18v mode) and clarity. By comparison, the TS9 always seemed like like there was a blanket over the speakers.

The OCD is also more clear than my Plexitone, but the PT does do some things that the OCD won't, so it'll stay on my board.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

You know my other guitar player in my band had a OCD & he hated it, quite honestly for what we do I think the TS9 sounds so much better. The OCD sounded very metallic & not musical at all. The TS9 just sounds like the amp cranked up!

I should also mention that we are doing all traditional blues with a bit more edge! The TS9 handles this very well especially with a Fender amp. The OCD just sounded unnatural!

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                            You know my other guitar player in my band had a OCD & he hated it, quite honestly for what we do I think the TS9 sounds so much better. The OCD sounded very metallic & not musical at all. The TS9 just sounds like the amp cranked up!

I should also mention that we are doing all traditional blues with a bit more edge! The TS9 handles this very well especially with a Fender amp. The OCD just sounded unnatural!
                            Did he use the OCD as an overdrive, or as a "distortion"? I use mine with the volume up high, the gain low, and the tone to taste. I cannot imagine an OCD sounding "unnatural" when used with a good tube amp that way. I also used my TS9s over the years that way, and any other OD pedal I ever had. Slam the front-end with volume that adds a clean edge to whatever breakup the amp is already producing... but not throw gain type overdrive at an amp that was already doing that function.

I should mention that I always like a very defined sound, with some top end presence. Anything that tends to darken the tone or make individual notes blend into each other just doesn't suit my tastes.
                            Last edited by Red_Label; 04-30-2012, 10:14 AM.
                            "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I don't know how he had it set, but I had my TS9 set with no gain and just a volume boost. More like a clean boost. The new OD 808 I am still tinkering with a bit, but ultimately I will look to set it in a similar way.

Comment

Working...
                              X