Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea? Bad Idea? Guitar & Bass 4x12

So here the idea I've got:

Take a slant 4x12 with guitar speakers in it and remove the bottom two speakers. Replace with two 12" 200W car subwoofers and wire them to a separate jack, which is in no way connected to the jack with the guitar speakers.

Send a cable from the 1x12 guitar combo amp to the jack wired with the two guitar speakers and a cable from the 1x12 bass combo amp to the jack wired with the subwoofers.

So effectively, each amp is running with one 12" in it's own combo plus two more in a shared 4x12. Good idea? Bad idea? Insane idea? WHY?
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Re: Good idea? Bad Idea? Guitar & Bass 4x12

ahhhahahahahaha

dude i mean try it. wtf? what've you got to lose?
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      ahhhahahahahaha

dude i mean try it. wtf? what've you got to lose?
      I like the way you think. I think it would equally up the volume of the guitar and bass, and maybe help meld the two together tonally. I feel it's worth trying, I'm just wondering what all the tone snobs, I mean aficionados think!
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Electrically it will work, but be sure to pay attention to the total impedance. The math could get weird depending on how you wire it all up.

Also, car subs tend to have a very low top end. A bass guitar can generate some fairly high harmonics. (Which is why so many bass amps use "10" speakers.) The car subs will probably be fairly dark and muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Electrically it will work, but be sure to pay attention to the total impedance. The math could get weird depending on how you wire it all up.

Also, car subs tend to have a very low top end. A bass guitar can generate some fairly high harmonics. (Which is why so many bass amps use "10" speakers.) The car subs will probably be fairly dark and muddy.
          Hmmm. Good point

Comment

The mounting of the cone is not tight enough to get the response you need.

It is a "sub" woofer. To produce the frequencies, the cone has to move great distances.
            They (10" or 12" car subwoofers) have a frequency response of ~20 to 500 Hz
            Compared to a 15" bass speaker (Eminence for instance) which goes to 3.7kHz.

Sensitivity ratings are very far apart as well. 91dB for an Infinity Kappa 12" (car subwoofer) vs 99.2 Eminence Delta Lite 15"(bassguitar speaker).
            (To increase the volume by 3dB you need to double the power etc.)

Infinity make nice speakers. Cheaper brands don't even get that sensitivity rating (Kicker - Comp 12" 88.3 dB)

Not saying it can't be done... Question is, is it going to deliver what you are looking for?
            Amp department:
            JCM 900 MkIII 100w, EL34 (sold)
            Class 5 (pure class...)
            Hughes&Kettner TM18H
            Marshall 1965A (4x10 G10L-35's)

Guitar Department:
            Gibson Les Paul Standard
            Fernandes Japan Customshop

Comment

I have to agree on the top end response from the car speakers, but I would also think that the pressure inside the cab created by a guitar signal and a bass signal could possibly affect something.
              Beer me!
              Originally posted by Kam
              ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

I had a Rockford-Fosgate PUNCH car subwoofer in my 1x12" bass amp once - it was actually pretty fukking cool.

WOOMP WOOMP WOOMP

With mixing guitar and bass speakers in one cab, you're looking at a little phase cancellation and stuff like that, but that is not A) guaranteed or B) constant
                my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Working...
                X