banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which has a more noticeable affect on the amp's tone (tubes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which has a more noticeable affect on the amp's tone (tubes)

I'm going have some extra preamp tubes, I'm thinking about putting them in the other guitarists amp. He's satisfied with his tone. Thing is he's had the same amp for 4-5 years now and hasn't changed the tubes since. So both his pres and power are old. If I replaced all the pre's how much of a difference would it make?
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Re: Which has a more noticeable affect on the amp's tone (tubes)

Depends. Preamp tubes can last a LONG time. If you put the same brand tubes in, you may not notice any difference. If you change to a different kind of brand, you'll notice the difference more. Put on in V1 and see what happens. That shapes almost 80% of the behaviour and tone of the amp.

LP Custom
    Greenbacks
    Boss SD-1

Comment

Yeah pre's can last anywhere from minutes to decades. Power tubes can last for a while too depending on the miles put on them. Typically you will hear more of a difference replacing the power section, unless they where performing fine to begin with.
      Preamp tubes won't degrade slowly over time like power tubes though. They will just all of the sudden fail or become microphonic.
      Your ear slowly adjusts to the tone degradation of power tubes as well. They often will sound fine to the user, because the transition is so slow. Then they play another amp with a fresh set or try new tubes in their amp and it becomes immediately apparent to them.
      Last edited by Van Noord; 05-03-2012, 05:26 PM.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

It's fun to play with the very first preamp tube in the chain. The rest of them don't make as much difference to my old ears.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The amp in question is your buddy's Carvin V3, correct?

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
            The amp in question is your buddy's Carvin V3, correct?
            Carvin Legacy series I
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Legacy? Can you change power tube type? That would definitely make a difference, going from EL34s to 6L6s or 6L6s to EL34s.

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

I actually think it depends on the amp itself. I have some amps that are really sensitive to tubes and others that aren't overly touch. Of course this is provided you are talking 12X7 to 12AX7 not 12AX7 to 12AT7 or something like that
                Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Yes. Right now he's running El34s
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                    Yes. Right now he's running El34s
                    And he hasn't changed the power tubes in 4-5 years? Longest Ive had them last is 2 years, so he might benefit from new power tubes. I bet he would notice if you changed to 6L6s. In my PVs and Rectos, that kind of switch was wickedly noticable, both in tone and playability.

LP Custom
                    Greenbacks
                    Boss SD-1

Comment

In my experience I notice the difference when tubes go bad.

Bad power tubes especially in Fender amps make the sound break up more and lose punch. Just had two changed and the amp instantly got more clean headroom and opened up the sound.

Bad preamp tubes usually lead to lots of noise and lost gain if there is a gain channel on the amp.

So in my experience the power tubes have more effect

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
                        So both his pres and power are old. If I replaced all the pre's how much of a difference would it make?
                        He might lose "his" tone.

Not everybody is a new tube guy. When tubes get a few miles on them, they start doing what tubes do best...they start to breathe; you can't emulate that.

I'd say try 'em in there but mark the one's you pull so you can put them back in the same positions in case he wants his old tone back.
                        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get a tube tester. Then you won't have to guess. The amount of money you will save when you realize you don't need to change out tubes nearly as much as you thought you did will blow you away, as well as pay for the tester.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
                            He might lose "his" tone.

Not everybody is a new tube guy. When tubes get a few miles on them, they start doing what tubes do best...they start to breathe; you can't emulate that.

I'd say try 'em in there but mark the one's you pull so you can put them back in the same positions in case he wants his old tone back.
                            I may have posted it before, but Im pretty sure BB King has a song called 'lightning in a bottle' that was inspired by how the powertubes in his fenders would arc in and out at loud volumes, creating 'lightning bolts' inside the tubes. I think I remember him saying those were his favorite tones, the raunchy kind of breakup he used to get when the tubes were on the verge of death.

So glassman is right. He might lose 'his' tone. Is his tone bad, or do you just want him to try something else to see if he might like it?

I played with a guy years back who never wanted to really tweak and experiment with stuff unless something broke. I didn't really like his tone, but he did. I offered to help him tweak stuff, but he kept saying no. Finally, I just decided to work my tone around his and with some careful tweaks, they blended really nice.

Though, as you know, once you start rolling tubes, its hard to stop.

LP Custom
                            Greenbacks
                            Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                            X