Amp problem, sound clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp problem, sound clip

Any ideas what could be making this popping noise? It is pretty loud, completely random and unpredictable. My guitar is going direct to the amp, nothing in effects loop, I've tried multiple guitars and multiple guitar cables. I dont' have any extra cables that go to the speaker cabinet, though, so I can't really test that.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Re: Amp problem, sound clip

I should add that my amp has some known issues: when I power off it makes a loud pop sound, when I switch from clean to lead channel it makes same loud pop sound, the reverb tank has a high pitched squeal if I turn it up past 4 o clock. The tubes are relatively new.

Comment

Power tubes are a couple of years old actually, pre amp tubes only 6 months

Comment

Changed power tubes, unplugged reverb tank, took into another room on different power strip with different outlets. This is clearly something wrong with the amp itself.

Comment

which amp is it
          that noise is familiar
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

im guessing the squeal in the reverb in from a preamp tube going south (if its a tube driven reverb). I reckon your popping is too - probably the PI tube.
            Is the amp an old fender?
            Take each tube out and replace it with a good one till you narrow down the culprit.
            Dont belive the internet myth that preamp tubes dont wear out. PI tubes can wear out faster than power amp tubes, and the gain tubes can cook in a matter of months with eavy use.
            If swapping out all the preamp tubes wont help, then its time for the tech.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

This could also be an intermittent internal ground.

I have this issue with any amps at home but thats caused by power spikes as my mains is really crappy.
              Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
              WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
              http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm using the peavey xxx in my signature. I'm going to check the preamp tubes next and see if that fixes it. The good news is that I pulled out the reverb tank, then plugged it back in, no more squeal.

Comment

Changing the pre amp tubes didn't help, guess it is going in to the shop

Comment

might be a problem with the digital effects module...

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                      might be a problem with the digital effects module...
                      Good idea, I'll see if my tech can take that out of the loop for troubleshooting.

Comment

I remember now
                        we had a PA speaker at work that did that

it was a loose connection on the speaker wire
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                        X