banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To those curious about "boutique" amps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those curious about "boutique" amps...

Save yourself the dough and just get a good example of the classics that the so-called boutique amps are based-on.

I won't say that the boutique amps don't deliver. Most of them do! And I won't say that I didn't love my Bogners (or VHT, or H&K, etc). Cause I did!

But this past week and a half with my new [to me] Marshall DSL50 has been quite a revelation to me. This beeotch sounds every bit as sweet, juicy, chewy, organic, roaring, etc as the Bogner XTC Classic that I sold a few months ago did. Yes, the Bogner had superior cleans, and MIGHT have had something in the low-end that the Marshall doesn't have. But honestly, this DSL sounds so sweet I don't miss the Bogner at all. And I could buy 3-4 DSLs for the price of the Bogner!

I spent several hours yesterday re-doing my pedal board, and wiring my TC G-System back into it as well. I've got the G-Sys switching channels on the Marshall, as well as giving me a volume boost on solo-lead patches. All-in-all I couldn't be happier with my rig right now!

BTW... I played through a bunch of older rock like ACDC, Def Leppard, and a bunch of "newer" rock like AIC and Collective Soul and the Marshall just slayed for all of it. Besides scooped-Mesa type metal and country or jazz... this Marshall will do anything that any of the boutique amps I've owned or played will. Add to that the fact that the classic Marshall roar/kerrang is often not exactly duplicated in supposedly much more "capable" amps. My Bogners had something of their own for sure (low mids). But the high-mid Marshall sound really does it for me like no other. At this point I'm not really drooling over other amps. Just at the possibility of getting a second DSL50 to have as a spare/stereo setup and all at a price that's half of the boutique amps.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: To those curious about "boutique" amps...

Just playing devil's advocate here....

I traded a DSL100 for a VHT Deliverance Sixty, straight up..... Just saying.....

That being said, I do agree with the concept of get what works best for you.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
      Just playing devil's advocate here....

I traded a DSL100 for a VHT Deliverance Sixty, straight up..... Just saying.....

That being said, I do agree with the concept of get what works best for you.
      Different strokes for different folks. And most decent amps have their strengths and weaknesses. But there are a lot of guys out there looking for more or less a "hot rodded Marshall" at 2-4X the price of a good used Marshall. I was certainly in that camp. And now that I've been through the process, I realize that I was mainly doing it to satisfy my curiousity. Because there was nothing wrong with my Marshalls.

I will say that my epiphany regarding Marshalls and the DSL in particular came when I realized that Gary Moore did and Iron Maiden still does make great music/tones with their DSLs (and JMP-1 preamps).

In my earlier thread I noted also that a good friend of mine (who mostly got me into the boutique realm by selling me his Triamp and got me lusting after Bogners), fell in love with my DSL for the day he had it and if he didn't already have a brand new, custom ordered Splawn Quickrod on the way... he'd be looking for a DSL50 like mine. This guy's got an XTC, Twin Jet, Elmwood, and Aiken sitting in his basement right now. He's been a long time Marshall user (since the early 80s) and it even surprized him how well the DSL did against his much costlier amps. And I'm sure not missing mine.

So I just wanted to throw this out there for some of the younger guys who find themselves GAS'ing for a boutique Marshall style amp... that it's possible they can get the tone they are looking for without having to spend $2K +/- to get there.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

I agree. If you want a hot rodded marshall sound, why not get a Marshall? The JVM is also a really good amp.

DOn't know if you're all about the mod thing but voodoo man and Fyj (?) do some nice mods to the dsl.
        No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
        Mesa Stiletto Ace
        Gurus 5015
        Mesa Widebody 1X12
        Pedalboard

Comment

I agree. If you want a hot rodded marshall sound, why not get a Marshall? The JVM is also a really good amp.

DOn't know if you're all about the mod thing but voodoo man and Fyj (?) do some nice mods to the dsl.
          Yeah... I've heard about them. I've got a former bandmate who's got a DSL100 that's got one of their mods. But I've never noticed anything spectacular about his tone. Of course... it might be HIS fingers... LOL! He's not really a player's player. But if there is one mod I would be interested in, its a mod to better match the Classic and Ultra channels in terms of that big tone. The Classic channel in crunch mode with an OD hitting the front end is like a classic JCM800 2203. HUGE! Kick-in the Ultra channel and it thins-out more like a JCM900. That's pretty much my only beef and if I can correct that, I'll be 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
            Yeah... I've heard about them. I've got a former bandmate who's got a DSL100 that's got one of their mods. But I've never noticed anything spectacular about his tone. Of course... it might be HIS fingers... LOL! He's not really a player's player. But if there is one mod I would be interested in, its a mod to better match the Classic and Ultra channels in terms of that big tone. The Classic channel in crunch mode with an OD hitting the front end is like a classic JCM800 2203. HUGE! Kick-in the Ultra channel and it thins-out more like a JCM900. That's pretty much my only beef and if I can correct that, I'll be 100% satisfied.
            There is a simple mod like snip the c24 or c14, which in turn makes the red channel more like the green/orange.

If they made both channels similar without a shared eq, it would probably get more cred than it does.

Probably would cost more though.

I heard though upgraded ot/pt to Mercury, some better components and upgraded tubes do help make it more beastly.

That's the one amp that any OD/distortion i had sounded amazing through.
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

Speaking off tubes, there's a mod that will let you run kt88's in the dsl.
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

There is a simple mod like snip the c24 or c14, which in turn makes the red channel more like the green/orange.

If they made both channels similar without a shared eq, it would probably get more cred than it does.

Probably would cost more though.

I heard though upgraded ot/pt to Mercury, some better components and upgraded tubes do help make it more beastly.

That's the one amp that any OD/distortion i had sounded amazing through.
                Nice! I'll have to look into that. I've certainly done simple mods like that before. Yeah... I really like the way my OCD sounds through it, and my Plexitone as well.

Comment

Speaking off tubes, there's a mod that will let you run kt88's in the dsl.
                  Interesting... will have to keep that in-mind in case I get bored after a while. LOL!

Comment

I believe it is the c24 if I recall. Should be able to google c24 mod for dsl or check out Marshall amp forums, they have a step by step layout. It's as easy as snipping a cap bc that's exactly what your doing. Have you ever modded an MXR Phase 90 to sound more like the Script version? It's the same thing, snip a cap. There's a few other DIY mods you could try.
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

I stand corrected it's the C12 mod.. My apologies. Been a few years hahahaha
                      Mesa Stiletto Ace
                      Gurus 5015
                      Mesa Widebody 1X12
                      Pedalboard

Comment

check this site out shows u how to do the c12/c17 treble bleed mod, install a choke, and a few others....

Replacing the output transformer of a Marshall JCM2000-series DSL100 guitar amp. Installing a choke, or auto-transformer, into a Marshall DSL100 guitar amp.
                        Mesa Stiletto Ace
                        Gurus 5015
                        Mesa Widebody 1X12
                        Pedalboard

Comment

Well I tried removing the cap and it did make a big difference. The red channels definetly sound more like the green and it feels and sound more huge with the gain around 5. It definetly feels like there is more low end and less treble but I am pretty sure it took away some of the gain as well, not allot but some. The EQ for the two channels match really good as well. Basically it sound more like a extension to the green channel which is a good thing to me. I definitly am going to keep it this way."]Well I tried removing the cap and it did make a big difference. The red channels definetly sound more like the green and it feels and sound more huge with the gain around 5. It definetly feels like there is more low end and less treble but I am pretty sure it took away some of the gain as well, not allot but some. The EQ for the two channels match really good as well. Basically it sound more like a extension to the green channel which is a good thing to me. I definitly am going to keep it this way.

Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Lol... I always read Red Labels old threads and would get curious about the Bogners and such, and yes they are great sounding amps, but non of them did what I need any better than my Marshall 2204. I sometimes wanted to pipe up and say something, but I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade so to speak haha! Never nice when someone is feeling great about their rig and then someone bashes it!

Interesting journey and seems like you've basically re-kindled with an old friend! I had similar things happen with stuff.
                            Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/3262/marshalldslc12mod.jpg

Awesome dood! Thanks! Dunno if I'll have time to snip that tonight, but I'll guarantee it'll happen by next weekend!

Comment

Working...
                              X