Full Range Boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Range Boost?

Does anyone know of such a pedal? If so, tell me about how you like it and how you use it ...yeah, i know, they boost the bass and middle and treble equally rather than just the mids or treble ( full range).
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Full Range Boost?

Check out the Keeley Katana. I haven't used one but from what I recall It'll do what you're looking for.
    Widow - "we have songs".
    Originally posted by Aceman
    Mega gain pup plus mega gain amp usually equals mega crap.

Comment

you are looking for a clean boost and there are tons of them out there

Comment

One of the best.

Comment

Do you mean a boost that is "like" a Treble Booster but just "full range" or do you mean like a flat clean boost??
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

EHX Linear Power Booster.

Comment

pardon my ignorance good sirs, but wouldn't an eq pedal work like this, where you just bump up whatever frequencies you want to boost?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                pardon my ignorance good sirs, but wouldn't an eq pedal work like this, where you just bump up whatever frequencies you want to boost?
                No.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Why not? Would a full range boost add compression or something that the EQ pedal wouldn't?
                  If I wanted to boost with my GE7, I'd just crank the volume on it and leave the EQ alone.

I'm interested in this one as well, my Blues Driver is a great boost but it tightens the bass and boosts the mids. That's good but I'd like a more neutral, wide boost as well.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

its hard to get "the same only louder" pedal because your amp will behave differently with a different signal into it. The best solution is to have a pedal that allows you to trim bass and treble to match how your amp is behaving - so you get a percieved flat boost if that is what you are after.
                    Insofar as this goes the fulltone fat boost is killer, or the xotic rc boost.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I did a little looking around the net, and this* thread hit the jackpot.

Apparently, as our beloved moderator said, a "full range" boost IS a clean boost that emphasizes all frequencies evenly.

If you read, there are two kinds of clean boosts for the purpose of this discussion ;a warm clean fatboost, and a boost that would inadvertently brighten things and be more Hi-fi clean. I'm not entirely sure how to interpret it, so take this FWIW, thats just my interpretation from what I read here*.

So, the fulltone fatboost for example is a warm clean boost, and something like the RC Booster for instance, that would be a Hi-fi/ bright clean boost. Does that sound fair?
                      Also, someone does use the compressor on a pedal for a warm clean boost;

Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-08-2012, 07:53 PM.
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

If that's the case, then wouldn't a good ol' EHX LPB-1 do the trick?

Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                          So, the fulltone fatboost for example is a warm clean boost, and something like the RC Booster for instance, that would be a Hi-fi/ bright clean boost. Does that sound fair?
                          They can both do pretty similar jobs depending on where you set the knobs.
                          The thing is, there is no such thing as truly flat in the audio world. Also, committing yourself to what one manufactuer defines as "flat' is too limiting. What might work for one amp and its eq/gain settings may not work the same way for another.
                          Thats why you can buy boosts with trimmers.
                          Having said that, if you really want something with only one knob, the super hard on is pretty damn sweet and works especially well with marshall amps IMO.
                          The older MI boost n buff also had one knob which gave you up to 20 db of flat boost, before cranking the higher frequencies up to +35 db. They designed it this way because cranking the bass past a certain point will only cause the preamp tubes to flab out, so cranking a flat level will no longer sound "flat" anymore.
                          Ive had a bunch of clean boosts and also eq pedals doing the same job.
                          Save youself a lot of time, money and energy and just invest in a fat boost cos it sounds great with all kinds of amps at all kinds of volume/eq/gain settings. You wont be sorry.
                          Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            Why not?.
                            Because even when set flat, your guitar signal is passing through several notch filters.
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                            X