Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Explain the VHT sound to me...

In short....

The VHT/Fryette sound sounds like sex.....
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
    Originally posted by Gear Used
    PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
    Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
    Mesa Stiletto Ace
    Gurus 5015
    Mesa Widebody 1X12
    Pedalboard

Comment

Originally posted by mwalluk View Post
      In short....

Like sex with an Uber clean first time prostitute......

Comment

In short....

Would that be like teenage grope in the backseat sex or Japanese bukakke type sex?
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
          Like sex with an Uber clean first time prostitute......
          No way! the VHT has been refined from experience it knows all the dirty tricks.
          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            Would that be like teenage grope in the backseat sex or Japanese bukakke type sex?
            More like a hot chick who's borderline psychotic. You know the type. Has emotional baggage and is bat %$^ crazy, but she's still hot. You know she's crazy going into it, but you say $^%& it anyway and raw dog and bail. A lot goes down, some not proud of, others make for a penthouse story. You get tested the next day just to make sure. That's the VHT sound or maybe my mislead youth, not sure.
            No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
            Mesa Stiletto Ace
            Gurus 5015
            Mesa Widebody 1X12
            Pedalboard

Comment

More like a hot chick who's borderline psychotic. You know the type. Has emotional baggage and is bat %$^ crazy, but she's still hot. You know she's crazy going into it, but you say $^%& it anyway and raw dog and bail. A lot goes down, some not proud of, others make for a penthouse story. You get tested the next day just to make sure. That's the VHT sound or maybe my mislead youth, not sure.
              So.....sex with a redhead chick?

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                  Well ya, that's a given.....

Seriously though, I think this best represents what the FRYETTE sound is truly about.......

Chris Cole (Mark Wahlberg) is a fanatical admirer of an 80s heavy metal band called Steel Dragon. By day, Chris is a photocopier technician and by night, he is the lead singer of a Steel Dragon tribute band called Blood Pollution (the name is taken from a Steel Dragon song).

Internal struggles among the actual Steel Dragon band members culminate with the firing of their lead singer, Bobby Beers (Jason Flemyng), and the starting of recruitment sessions to find a new vocalist. Chris experiences his own strife with his Blood Pollution bandmates, particularly guitarist Rob Malcolm (Timothy Olyphant). During a live performance, Rob's playing fails to live up to Chris' over-demanding standards regarding note-for-note accuracy to the original Steel Dragon recordings, and Chris sabotages Rob's amplifier mid-song. This results in a fistfight between the two onstage. The next day, Chris arrives at Blood Pollution's rehearsal space (the basement of an X-rated theater) to find that he's been fired and replaced with his arch-rival, the (now former) lead singer of another Steel Dragon tribute band. Rob also cites Chris' inability to create his own musical style, preferring to remain the singer in a tribute band.

One day, Chris receives an unexpected phone call from Steel Dragon's founder and rhythm guitarist, Kurt Cuddy (Dominic West), and is offered an audition for the band (thanks to two of Blood Pollution's groupies, who showed Kirk a videotape of one of Blood Pollution's concerts). After hanging up on Kirk once, thinking he's being made fun of, Chris ecstatically agrees. At the studio, he meets the band, as well as learning that Bobby Beers was fired because he was a closeted gay, and gives an outstanding performance of "We All Die Young" (a Steel Dragon song in the movie, but it is actually a song by Steelheart, whose lead vocalist (Miljenko Matijevic) provides Cole's singing voice for the film). Chris joins the band as their new singer, adopting the stage name "Izzy." Following a successful debut concert with Steel Dragon, Izzy must come to grips with the pressures of his new-found fame and success. The band embarks on a lengthy tour and Izzy experiences the excesses of the lifestyle, with the group's manager, Mats (Timothy Spall), serving as a sympathetic mentor to Izzy.

His new lifestyle impacts his life both for better and worse, particularly with his relationship with his supportive girlfriend, Emily Poule (Jennifer Aniston), when she decides not to continue with him throughout the remainder of the tour as a rock star girlfriend, though Emily and Izzy agree to get back together when the tour reaches Seattle. Eventually, Steel Dragon stops in Seattle for a show, and Emily arrives at his hotel room as they had previously arranged, although Izzy had become so inebriated while on tour he forgot about the arrangement and did not even know what city he was in. Although taken aback by all the groupies, Emily still tries to reconnect with him, reminding him of their plans to meet up once he got to Seattle, however he is too intoxicated to really understand what she is saying, eventually suggesting they go to Seattle together. Heartbroken with his inconsiderate behavior, intoxication and the fact that he is sleeping with so many groupies, Emily leaves him.

After the end of the tour, Izzy reports to the next series of Steel Dragon recording sessions with song concepts for the band's next album. The rest of the band rejects Izzy's ideas, with Kurt explaining that the band has to stay true to the "Steel Dragon thing" to fulfill fan expectations. Izzy is angered upon realizing that he was only recruited for his vocal abilities. After a heartfelt conversation with Mats about how he feared he had no control over the direction life has taken him, Izzy begins to reconsider his rock star lifestyle. On the next tour, in a scene directly paralleling one near the beginning of the film with their roles reversed, Izzy hears a fan (Myles Kennedy) singing along with him toward the end of a live concert. Impressed, Izzy pulls the fan, who introduces himself as Mike, onstage and hands him the microphone to finish the concert. Backstage, Izzy realizes that what he wanted for so long was not what he thought, and he says goodbye to Mats, departing from the band while doing so.

Izzy (now Chris Cole again) makes his way to Seattle (while Steel Dragon, failing to evolve to changing tastes and styles, has its fame fizzle out) and starts a new coffee-house rock band with his old friend and former bandmate Rob. He finds Emily working in the coffee shop she and her roommate purchased a few years earlier, but is initially too ashamed to speak to her. While walking one evening, Emily sees a flyer for his band posted on the wall and takes it down. In the final scene, Chris is singing with his band in a bar and Emily walks in. Chris leaves the stage and speaks to her. They reconcile, ending the film with a kiss and the final note of Chris' first original song "Colorful" (which is actually a song by The Verve Pipe).

Aww $%^&*!!!!!!!!! Not again.... That's the synopsis for the Rock Star movie.... My bad.
                  Mesa Stiletto Ace
                  Gurus 5015
                  Mesa Widebody 1X12
                  Pedalboard

Comment

Sorry for derailing this thread.

Looking at the list of amps you have, you will be pleasantly happy witht the Pitbull. It will hold it's own against any of the amps you have listed and still have it's own niche thing going on.

It's hard to describe but it really has it's own thing going on.
                    Mesa Stiletto Ace
                    Gurus 5015
                    Mesa Widebody 1X12
                    Pedalboard

Comment

The VHTs I've heard have a really "hard" midrange. In comparison, I think Mesa Mark IVs are smoother in the mids. Both are great, but in different ways. As mentioned before, very little to no sag, very articulate on the high gain... The Pittbull in particular is very tight from what I remember.

If yours comes with KT88s and you haven't played KT88 or 6550 based amps before, you should be surprised by the headroom and frequency response.

Comment

My UL was a 2003 model (I think), loaded with KT88s, graphic EQ, and had the half-power option. It held its own just fine against my Bogner XTC Classic, as well as the Bogner Uber Twin Jet and Elmwood M60 that I had at my house during that period. Having said that, I don't miss it as much as my XTC. But that's just a preference.

Will say that the cleans on the VHT were okay, but didn't compare to my XTC for liveliness, spank, complexity, etc. It had a nice crunch and a punchy roar. The ability to scoop the tone and get some massive metal tones with the EQ was nice... but I found myself tiring of that tone very quickly and had completely stopped using it by the end. Like ANY and ALL hi-gain amps to my ears, I did find that the tone lost definition with the pre's dialed above 2:00 or so. I just don't care for over-the-top, mushy gain. I've found that setting the gains at noon, using the POWER tubes to drive the amp, and hitting the front end with a fairly clean OD pedal that stays tight is the way to get an amp to really high levels of gain without going mushy. But even then, I tend to just prefer to use amp drive and go crunchy and defined, but not distorted.

Anyways... you'd dig the UL. I did. But I just get bored with everything after a while that costs over $1K and have found that I actually prefer to own cheaper amps (like my current DSL50) because then it's more likely to stay, even when I get a bit bored -- because it's not worth enough money to be worth the hassle of selling and shipping.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Clear, aggressive and punchy as all hell are the best ways for me to describe them!

VHT's are the ONLY high gain channel switching amps that interest me in anyway!
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                            Clear, aggressive and punchy as all hell are the best ways for me to describe them!
                            I think this sums it up.

LP Custom
                            Greenbacks
                            Boss SD-1

Comment

Working...
                            X