Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AMP Shootout

Originally posted by Toe-Knee View Post
    Thankyou and yes I did. I also build effects pedals too.

This one actually keeps changing voicing wise as i just can't leave things alone but currently it's pretty much a stock SLO but with higher quality filtering in the poweramp.

I'm starting another that i'm doing as an experiment soon i'm just waiting on some final parts then i'll do a step by step build log i reckon. So far all i've done on it is the preamp but it's a bit more detached from the SLO heritage this time around.

I'll probably also post my MKIIC+, Uberschall & Krankenstein (non stock) build logs too as i do them.
    That is great man. I really wish I could sit down and put one of these things together. I'm getting my knowledge together but I wish I got in to this stuff way back in high school or college instead of just getting in to it. I really like it though dude. Some really good stuff
    Ibanez S520-> NS2->TS9 (Monte Allums Modded)->JCA100H->Emi Texas Heat 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by Mattr4president View Post
      That is great man. I really wish I could sit down and put one of these things together. I'm getting my knowledge together but I wish I got in to this stuff way back in high school or college instead of just getting in to it. I really like it though dude. Some really good stuff
      To be honest with you i have only been doing it a year or two and most of it was self taught. If you are prepared to put the time and effort in it's all fairly easy. The hardest part is the very steep learning curve at the beggining and for me the fact that i'm colour blind makes it a lot harder
      Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
      WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
      http://fret.boards.net

Comment

I can't see the pics of this Toe-Knee special at work for some reason.

Comment

To be honest with you i have only been doing it a year or two and most of it was self taught. If you are prepared to put the time and effort in it's all fairly easy. The hardest part is the very steep learning curve at the beggining and for me the fact that i'm colour blind makes it a lot harder
          wow really? Awesome So did you start with kits or modding your own stuff? I'm in the middle of looking for a house but when I do I'm going to have a good size work bench and plenty of time.

Comment

wow really? Awesome So did you start with kits or modding your own stuff? I'm in the middle of looking for a house but when I do I'm going to have a good size work bench and plenty of time.
            I kinda threw myself straight in the deep end.

I did a BYOC kit purely because I needed a TS type pedal this triggered my interest from there i built a Zvex SHO clone entirely from scratch.

From here i decided it was time to step up and sat for months on end reading articles (mainly safety for the first month)

Then i was going to build a 18w marshall as theyre very well documented and come as kits but figured that i wouldn't really use it too much and i should go for something that i would enjoy and dove in head first into the SLO and took it one stage at a time whilst continually reading.

When you get a space setup to do it i will be glad to help you along with things and provide parts and such where neccesary... I've considered putting a kit together at times but doubted the interest levels and such.
            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

I did a BYOC kit purely because I needed a TS type pedal this triggered my interest from there i built a Zvex SHO clone entirely from scratch.

From here i decided it was time to step up and sat for months on end reading articles (mainly safety for the first month)

Then i was going to build a 18w marshall as theyre very well documented and come as kits but figured that i wouldn't really use it too much and i should go for something that i would enjoy and dove in head first into the SLO and took it one stage at a time whilst continually reading.

When you get a space setup to do it i will be glad to help you along with things and provide parts and such where neccesary... I've considered putting a kit together at times but doubted the interest levels and such.
              Wow. Thanks man I reAlly appreciate it. I was thinking of putting together one of those kits that Mojo sells. They have a bunch. Start small and work my way up to one of those SLO's

What would you recommend for beginners reading?

Comment

Funny, this sounds like how I started too. My first big build was a 50w SLO, then I modded my first JSX with plans for this one too. Then I bought a few "dead" amps and put them back together with various mods. I have most of the parts to build another SLO and Im going to do a few small-watt amps, like the Jet Citys. It's really, really fun and very gratifying when someone asks you at a gig what kind of amp that is. "I built it"

Oh, and the white on black SLD is wickedly nice-looking. My vote for sexiest amp.

LP Custom
                Greenbacks
                Boss SD-1

Comment

Wow. Thanks man I reAlly appreciate it. I was thinking of putting together one of those kits that Mojo sells. They have a bunch. Start small and work my way up to one of those SLO's

What would you recommend for beginners reading?
                  Check out the SLO CLone forums. Wickedly smart dudes there, and if you want to build one, they have PCBs and tons of links to where to get all the parts.

Two books that have helped me are "Designing Guitar Preamps" and "Designing Guitar Poweramps" by Merlin Blencowe.

LP Custom
                  Greenbacks
                  Boss SD-1

Comment

My baby - she needs no introduction.

Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                      Check out the SLO CLone forums. Wickedly smart dudes there, and if you want to build one, they have PCBs and tons of links to where to get all the parts.

Two books that have helped me are "Designing Guitar Preamps" and "Designing Guitar Poweramps" by Merlin Blencowe.
                      i was just going to give this exact same advice.
                      WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Comment

95 Bogner Ecstasy 101B white chassis, built by Reinhold at original location....all options, including cab assigning, S/P FX loop, Class A/AB, attenuator loop, Line Out, half power etc.
                        Marshall 1960AHW w/Vin 30/H 30. JJ EL-34's and Tungsol Pre's. NOS Mazda Belvu in the clean channel pre slot.

I have the original metalfront head shell, cane grill head shell, and Bogner 412 & 212.
                        I like the look of the Marshall cab when using the metal front.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 05-10-2012, 05:49 PM.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

C'mon Joe! Put that Silver Jubilee up there!
                          Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Vasshu...is that a stock color or did you roll your own?

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                              Vasshu...is that a stock color or did you roll your own?
                              I'm not Niels, but I believe the seafoam green was a limited run for the supersonic 22's when they first came out.
                              Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I'd kill for a head in that color.

Comment

Working...
                                X