X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: Goodbye Egnater, Hello....

Bogner

Alchemist 2X12 Combo

After spending the day ( a very LONG BAD day at the Drs for more kidney woes) I braved a trip up to GC Manchester to see what I could see for a new low watt head/combo since I have been less then thrilled with the Egnater Tweaker. Found a Mesa that was used, nice, but couldn't be sold today as they had just taken in it. Then I found a Bogner Alchemist 1X12. Nice tones, nice cleans, decent reverb, and high gain at low volumes. Drag in my Egnater stuff to start talking trade.

While Drew is running the numbers (I know I'm gonna take a loss) he comes back and asks if I'd be more interested in a 2X12 that they have in the back

Sure let's check it out

Plug the same LP I had been using in to check out all the other stuff with and I dig it. Very similar tones I was getting, just a little more volume.

Come to find out it's on clearance, so he can do a slightly better then even swap. I got the Bogner, 3 sets of EB Slinky's and a the Alex Skolnick DVD Set ($30)

I know what I paid for the Egnater stuff, but I also know the lack of independent eq was driving me nuts. Also gave me 30 days (usually all sales final on clearance stuff)

Going back to playing it in a bit

Re: NAD: Goodbye Egnater, Hello....

It sounds like you cut yourself a great deal there. Happy NAD!
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Nice! Didn't know skolnick had a dvd set either, wow!

Wonder what else they have in the back?!

Comment

NICE. I've been really interested in those Alchemists for a good while now. They sound fantastic in the clips I've heard.

Congrats!

Comment

Nice pickup, I love those Amps....

Comment

Congrats!!! I was playing ( and digging) one of those the other day.. Great deal!

Hope you get over your kidney issues!
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

oddly enough, i also have an egnater(renegade) and the bogner alchemist 212. and oddly enough, i also bought it to replace the egnater, as i needed more gain

however, after 2 weeks of testing and playing, im going back to the egnater.... if i wasnt going to take a loss in returning the bogner, i would. its a great amp, but its not what i thought it would be
              requiemofashes.bandcamp.com <- long island swede style melodeath

http://lucksrevenge.bandcamp.com/ <- my old band, hardcore/southern rock mix of big riffs and screaming

owner of RocketSauce Studios...we're awesome

Ibanez Premium RG927->whole mess o'pedals->Mesa/Boogie Mark V->Mesa big ass 412=lovely death metal tones

Comment

Originally posted by NevermindUs View Post
                oddly enough, i also have an egnater(renegade) and the bogner alchemist 212. and oddly enough, i also bought it to replace the egnater, as i needed more gain

however, after 2 weeks of testing and playing, im going back to the egnater.... if i wasnt going to take a loss in returning the bogner, i would. its a great amp, but its not what i thought it would be
                I had the tweaker 40. Nice amp, great clean, decent crunch. But had to get a reverb pedal, adn then a dirt pedal for extra gain, then an eq pedal since the two channels shared the same eq...blah blah blah

I have a Carvin MTS that has been my main rig fro 16 years now. But lugging a half stack everywhere is getting old, so I wanted something a little smaller and lower wattage for small gigs and jamming at home. was seriously considering a few other options, but this sounded great when I plugged into and couldn't argue the deal

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Congrats!!! I was playing ( and digging) one of those the other day.. Great deal!

Hope you get over your kidney issues!

Thanks man

Comment

Thanks all. This is a HUGE improvement to my ears and to what I was looking for over the Tweaker 40. Having to share eqs between clean and dirty just doesn't work for me. My settings aren't that far off, but far enough so that I needed an eq pedal to help out. So hopes of having something smaller and lighter added more stuff to set up and carry with the tweaker and the stomp boxes. With this I have what I wanted. The 4 button footswitch is pretty sweet as well, boost on either channel, as well as reverb and delay on/off.

Comment

The separate channel EQ is essential in my book. I have a hard time understanding two channels but only one EQ section...makes no sense.

Love my Alchemist.

Congrats on a great deal. Glad you're lovin' your tone.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Awesome!

I'd probably have one of those if I ever got the chance to crank one! Awesome sounding amp. Congrats.
                        Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        H-S guitars with floyds make me erect.
                        Originally posted by jcthejester13
                        I'm pretty sure it's like nailing twins. They are identical but feel totally different.

Comment

Originally posted by NevermindUs View Post

Big diff tween the Renegade and the Tweaker!! How you like the Renegade??

Originally posted by C Squared View Post
                          I had the tweaker 40. Nice amp, great clean, decent crunch. But had to get a reverb pedal, adn then a dirt pedal for extra gain, then an eq pedal since the two channels shared the same eq...blah blah blah

I have a Carvin MTS that has been my main rig fro 16 years now. But lugging a half stack everywhere is getting old, so I wanted something a little smaller and lower wattage for small gigs and jamming at home. was seriously considering a few other options, but this sounded great when I plugged into and couldn't argue the deal
                          The MTS serve you well?? I had a 3212. Was my first tube amp. I loved it until it went bad..
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Big diff tween the Renegade and the Tweaker!! How you like the Renegade??

i friggin' love my renegade. i have a general idea about the tweaker but i never really dived into it.

but to me, the renegade is about as close to the perfect amp as you can get. maybe if i can mod it for a little more gain, it will be perfect, but it does pretty much any sound up until death metal style gain. the low end and chug is there, just that little bit of aggressiveness is missing. even with the gain all the way up its too pretty hahaha

but id never trade or sell my renegade
                            requiemofashes.bandcamp.com <- long island swede style melodeath

http://lucksrevenge.bandcamp.com/ <- my old band, hardcore/southern rock mix of big riffs and screaming

owner of RocketSauce Studios...we're awesome

Ibanez Premium RG927->whole mess o'pedals->Mesa/Boogie Mark V->Mesa big ass 412=lovely death metal tones

Comment

The MTS serve you well?? I had a 3212. Was my first tube amp. I loved it until it went bad..
                              16 years of touring and recording without a hiccup. Changed the preamp tubes about every 2 years, power tubes a little more often depending on the venues. It does everything I ask of it whether it be a metal or punk show or a jazz gig. Even fares great in the studio (though a pain in the ass to lug everywhere). The eq setting is very responsive and the reverb on it sounds great. It can usually stay fairly clean even at high volumes. I love it man. What happened to your 3212?

Comment

Working...
                              X