New pedal day: Analogman Beano boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pedal day: Analogman Beano boost

Played the Beano boost today, loved it, bought it. Do I love it more than the Naga Viper boost? hmmmm ... good question!

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: New pedal day: Analogman Beano boost

Congrats! I've become an Analogman convert since I got my Sunface. I just got on the king of tone waitlist, and I'd really like to get his Sun King. It's a King of Tone with a Beano Boost in front.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

I never understood why anyone would want a treble boost...until I got one. I can't explain exactly the sounds it makes, but it sounds amazing into a overdriven tube amp. Congrats on the Beano, looks like a great booster.

Have fun!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timhatimay View Post
        I never understood why anyone would want a treble boost...until I got one. I can't explain exactly the sounds it makes, but it sounds amazing into a overdriven tube amp. Congrats on the Beano, looks like a great booster.

Have fun!

Tim
        Thanks, I have several boosts: a z.vex SHO, Thundertomate treble boost, Catalinbread Naga Viper, and Nick Greer Sweetback Driver. The Beano definitely has its own character that I quite like.

Comment

How do you like that Space Echo?

Originally posted by nedcronin
          Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
          Originally posted by metalmachine
          dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkstained View Post
            How do you like that Space Echo?
            Love it! It's coloured, spluttery, and very unpredictable. It's also noisy. Couldn't ask for a better non-tape echo unit!

Comment

I'm also a lover of Analogman pedals. I've got the Beano Boost, as well as the Analogman modded Boss OD w/the Frog mod. I got this when I went on the King of Tone wait list last September (I'm still on the waiting list). I also have an old Analogman modded Arbiter Fuzz Face, from back when he used to get them and mod them w/germanium transistors (before 04/02).

AgileGuy, I don't think Analogman is making the Sunking anymore, unless he has started it up again. I wanted one of them as well. It is actually a Sunface Fuzz and Beano Boost in one unit.
              Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
              Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Strat111 View Post
                I'm also a lover of Analogman pedals. I've got the Beano Boost, as well as the Analogman modded Boss OD w/the Frog mod. I got this when I went on the King of Tone wait list last September (I'm still on the waiting list). I also have an old Analogman modded Arbiter Fuzz Face, from back when he used to get them and mod them w/germanium transistors (before 04/02).

AgileGuy, I don't think Analogman is making the Sunking anymore, unless he has started it up again. I wanted one of them as well. It is actually a Sunface Fuzz and Beano Boost in one unit.
                Sunking and Sun Lion are two different pedals. You're thinking of the Sun Lion. I'm thinking of the Sun King.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Oh, my error. I'll have to go and check out the SunKing. Thanx for clarifying my thinking.
                  Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
                  Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Comment

I've always been curious about the Beano Boost but never tried one. Having built several treble boosters myself, including a Rangemaster clone, I've always wondered what changes he made to the circuit, if any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      I've always been curious about the Beano Boost but never tried one. Having built several treble boosters myself, including a Rangemaster clone, I've always wondered what changes he made to the circuit, if any at all.
                      If you run the Beano in the middle (treble) setting it's the same. The mid and bass settings on the 3 way toggle are changes, the option for DC power is a change and the LED is a change but past that it's the same as a real Rangemaster save for the transistor used.

Old Beanos used a NOS, white dot NKT275, later ones use a NOS CV7003 and mixed in over the years have been a few NOS Ge 2NXXX (mostly 404's).

The Beano is even wired point to point like a real Rangemaster.

The magic that Mike brings to the Rangemaster party is the time he puts into nailing down trannys that are sweet sounding and keeping the noise low.

Ben, I'm SUPER glad you dig the Beano...it truly is a great pedal and ended my search for a RM clone.

Too many RM clones or Treble boosters are harsh, hard sounding noise traps with more hiss than gain...not the Beano!
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                        If you run the Beano in the middle (treble) setting it's the same. The mid and bass settings on the 3 way toggle are changes, the option for DC power is a change and the LED is a change but past that it's the same as a real Rangemaster save for the transistor used.

Old Beanos used a NOS, white dot NKT275, later ones use a NOS CV7003 and mixed in over the years have been a few NOS Ge 2NXXX (mostly 404's).

The Beano is even wired point to point like a real Rangemaster.

The magic that Mike brings to the Rangemaster party is the time he puts into nailing down trannys that are sweet sounding and keeping the noise low.

Ben, I'm SUPER glad you dig the Beano...it truly is a great pedal and ended my search for a RM clone.

Too many RM clones or Treble boosters are harsh, hard sounding noise traps with more hiss than gain...not the Beano!
                        Good info. When I saw the switch on it before I wondered if it did the same as what I did with the clone I built. I can't quite remember the tranny I used but it might be a CV7003. I think they are reversible so you can try them in both directions and go with whichever sounds best. I ended up building two, one for me and one for my bandmate, both point to point on terminal strip too. Haven't used it in a while but need to dig it out. May even tinker with the trannys as I have a small bag of them. It sounds killer with my Marshall.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 05-18-2012, 10:12 PM. Reason: meant terminal strip, not tag board

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

Agree on all points.

I also would like to add that the wiring inside is a work of ART. Smallest solder points I've ever seen. Beyond MilSpec neatness. Just amazing!

Comment

The toggle switches caps...one is the stock value the other give more lows than stock.

As for the tranny, in a RM clone it is really about finding one that is good and gainy w/o being harsh and noisy.

The CV7003s that Mike uses is a UK part, not all of them are the same but there are several out there.

As for the wiring, the Beano is not on a board...it's true point to point...lots of work involved but makes them neat little works of art but plenty of cats do use a board.

Also worth bringing up in this thread starting in 2012 Mike started using Orange Drop caps...he thinks they sound closer to the old caps in his original Dallas RM than the smaller caps he was using.
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                              Agree on all points.

I also would like to add that the wiring inside is a work of ART. Smallest solder points I've ever seen. Beyond MilSpec neatness. Just amazing!
                              YEP!

I love that Mike went to the trouble to do the PTP...original RM's are PTP so not only is it a nice little nod to the past but Mike thinks they quieter too.

Comment

Working...
                              X