No announcement yet.

suggestions for tubes for laney gh50l?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestions for tubes for laney gh50l?

i just got a 90's laney gh50l, and its finally the sound ive been looking for. however, the tubes are pretty much dead, all around. so im just going to retube the whole thing. i have heard that this amp is extremely suggestive to what tube/tube combinations are in the amp, so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

i got this amp to play in a melodeath metal band. and it definitely does what i want. currently its got sovtek 6l6's but im not sure what preamp tubes are in it. i dig the sound, but i think i rather try some el34s in it since 9 times out of 10 i prefer el34 tubed amps. im digging the bass response and the high end isnt harsh as ive heard, i was just wondering what differences different tubes will do to this amp
    requiemofashes.bandcamp.com <- long island swede style melodeath

http://lucksrevenge.bandcamp.com/ <- my old band, hardcore/southern rock mix of big riffs and screaming

owner of RocketSauce Studios...we're awesome

Ibanez Premium RG927->whole mess o'pedals->Mesa/Boogie Mark V->Mesa big ass 412=lovely death metal tones

Re: suggestions for tubes for laney gh50l?

The speaker choice will matter as well but here's what tubes work for me in this amp.

Full JJ EL34 re-tube over the stock TAD tubes.

JJECC83's sound the best so far to me in this amp & with my setup. When mixing stuff I liked,
    V1=Mullard RI or Tungsol RI
    V2=JJ ECC83S
    V3=JJ ECC83S
    V4=TAD ECC83.

Avoid Tungsol RI, EHX & LPS tubes in the V3 spot of the preamp.

For power tubes, SED Winged C's are the most reliable according to most people online, very expensive though, but since you only need a matched pair I guess you may want to spend on those.
    Ruby EL34BSTR & Tungsol EL34B are also getting good rep.
    I haven't had experience with these personally.

JJ EL34(regular version) has been reliable to me. They sounded a lot better than the stock TAD's to me even when biased at about 70%.
    I am using JJ 6CA7 in mine at the moment. These sound like 6L6's and have a noticeable effect on the amp's performance.

So if your going to start using EL34's in there then you'll find that the amp responds differently to your playing & sounds a little different too. You will need to set the switch on the back of the amp for EL34s & rebias the amp as well.

Whatever power tubes you get, make sure that they have been burned in for about 24-48 hrs by the tube dealer.
    MY gear:
    PRS SE Custom 22 (with SD 59' neck & SH14 C-5 bridge)
    GH100L & GS412IS
    Hardwire DL8
    535q Wah
    Boss NS2

Comment

Working...
    X