rebirth of a hard working amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebirth of a hard working amp

This old girl has been touring and gigging constantly for its entire life till last year. Its owned by a fellow i play in a jazz duo with, but hes recorded and used it with literally countless artists since the 80s. It had its tube rectification replaced with an SS setup bringing it up from 12 watts to 22, and the speaker was replaced with an altec. Over the years of touring and abuse it had developed a rattle that we just could not track down. Eventually we worked out it was the speaker baffle. For some unknown reason (probably cost cutting) fender decided to use particle board back in the early 70s i guess. Anyways, instead of just getting it repaired, we got Eric from Erics Guitars and PA in Petersham (aussie bros, i highly recommend him!) to build a new cabinet and build it for a 1x12. The new speaker is a cannabis rex and the cabinet is solid as a rock- much more solid than any stock fender. New knobs too. I reckon it has another 40 years of work ahead of it now.
    Im a little pissed tho....its sounds so good now that it makes my number one gigging amp (a princeton reverb II) sound kinda asthmatic.
    Anyways, here it is:
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-22-2012, 08:50 PM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: rebirth of a hard working amp

awesome post! I wouldve just had a new baffleboard built..theres mojo in that old wood, but may she rock on long after I belong to the ages.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Silverface Fenders for the win. I love my bassman to death. Congrats on getting yours working again.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Im not a big fan of Silverface Fender sound compared to Blackface.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

looks good
          i've been in contact with eric, i have samples of his available materials saved to my desktop. he's in cahoots with mitch/bob's amp shack too, isn't he?
          hell of a team!

you know what you have to do, cam.

Comment

what? get him to make a new cab for my old twin too?
            i gonna hit him up for a bass cab shortly.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
              Good sound is good sound.

on the old wood mojo front tho....yeh an old cab gives you bragging rights and that "worn in" look, but a new solidly constructed cab sounds better. This is a working musicians amp, not a collector's item. The guy who owns it doesnt need to prove his vintage cred to anyone. Hes a total monster player.
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 05-23-2012, 08:56 AM.
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                For some unknown reason (probably cost cutting) fender decided to use particle board back in the early 70s i guess.
                And the 60's...I don't think I'll ever seen a BF or SF that had anything other than a particle-board baffle.
                Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Thats interesting gman. My twin is a 67 and has plywood. Do you reckon a previous owner has replaced it somewhere along its history?
                  What do you use in your amps?
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    Neither am I, but buying a Silverface and blackfacing it is much more cost efficient than buying a blackface.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      Neither am I, but buying a Silverface and blackfacing it is much more cost efficient than buying a blackface.
                      Early silverfaced Fenders still used the BF circuits..Easy to switch over to BF specs also if it doesn't.

Nice amp....Princetons are sweet lil amps!
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        Thats interesting gman. My twin is a 67 and has plywood. Do you reckon a previous owner has replaced it somewhere along its history?
                        What do you use in your amps?
                        I use plywood in mine. They're 3/8" (3/4" at the perimeter) and semi floating so I need a little more "structure" than particle board can offer.

My BF 66 Super Reverb has the original particle board baffle in it and it works great.
                        Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Working...
                        X