banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirt Cheap Empty Vintage 4x12! Life Is Good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Cheap Empty Vintage 4x12! Life Is Good!

So I've got a three piece rock band going. Both the guitar and bass amps are 1x12 combos, and after awhile, I started thinking, "we need more speakers!" So I started looking at local classifieds and bought this for $30

Back is totally sealed! Wiring this up will be FUN!

Actually made in Pickering, not Toronto, but it is in the Greater Toronto Area.

It was built sometime between 1966 and 1972. It was originally intended to be used as a PA cabinet with stand mounts on the bottom, the marks of which still exist. And I thought my EV cabs were heavy! I wouldn't dream of hoisting one of these onto a speaker stand.

These are some spacious handles!

It's actually to my benefit that this thing is empty, as I've read online that the original 12" Marsland speakers were not great sounding, and were best suited to bass. I'm thinking about going with some 12" ceramic Weber speakers, as they are lighter and cheaper than the alnico's. Anyone have experience with these?

Also, is 25W per speaker enough for a 4x12 being used with a 50W tube amp? I figure if I order 8 ohm drivers I can wire it series/parallel for 8 ohms and have a 50W cabinet. I get that amps usually aren't running at the wattage labeled, and often times I run it in 15W mode, but even in 50W, the speakers should theoretically hold up with the amp cranked in 50W mode, yes?
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Re: Dirt Cheap Empty Vintage 4x12! Life Is Good!

Thats so Badass. I would die for a Traynor 4x12 for my 71 YBA Bassmaster "Plexi" project. They are rare as Me*ic*n virgins here!
    30 clams? yer killin me!!!!
    That thing is put together like a brick pagoda!
    I'd pay three US hundred dollars for that If I had the dosh!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
      Thats so Badass. I would die for a Traynor 4x12 for my 71 YBA Bassmaster "Plexi" project. They are rare as Me*ic*n virgins here!
      30 clams? yer killin me!!!!
      That thing is put together like a brick pagoda!
      I'd pay three US hundred dollars for that If I had the dosh!
      Ya, I thought it was a pretty good deal! There's a guy in my area who just sold two of these, with the original speakers in them and stand mounts attached for $300.

You got a YBA eh? I've heard a few basses through YBAs into various cabs, never heard it live with guitars though, but the basses sounded good! I've heard good things about them being used as guitar amps. How is it stock compared to a Bassman?
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
        Ya, I thought it was a pretty good deal! There's a guy in my area who just sold two of these, with the original speakers in them and stand mounts attached for $300.

You got a YBA eh? I've heard a few basses through YBAs into various cabs, never heard it live with guitars though, but the basses sounded good! I've heard good things about them being used as guitar amps. How is it stock compared to a Bassman?
        They are insane values even still. They are getting more expensive and hard to find though.
        Very close circuit to a original Fender bassman/Plexi amp circuits. With a few changes, the circuit is scary close.
        The transformers are overbuilt, and dont saturate like the cheaper marshall x-fomers.
        The lead dress isnt the same quality as a Fender by any strecth.
        Some people like the Traynor Bassmasters 'as is' for guitar, and they sound great, but there is a craze for converting them into Plexi-esque amps, and why not, if you can get close enuf to to a convincing Plexi sound for 3000.00 less, wouldn't you??

Join the Yahoo Traynor Groups why don't you? A slow , but helpfull forum, wiht died in the wool Traynor Junkies!
        Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Can anyone address my question about running a 50W tube amp into a 50W cabinet (4x25W speakers wired in series/parallel)

Comment

It'll be fine. I used to run my old MKIII into a 412 with Greenbacks, which are 25w speakers.

LP Custom
            Greenbacks
            Boss SD-1

Comment

Cool cab. Speakers will be fine unless you run it wide open with real low tunings all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                Can anyone address my question about running a 50W tube amp into a 50W cabinet (4x25W speakers wired in series/parallel)
                That cabinet will actually be 100 watts, not 50. 4 x 25 = 100.

Wired in series/parallel, the total load will be dependent on that of the 4 speakers. If they are all 8 ohms, the total load is 8 ohms. If all 4 are 16 ohms, the total load is 16 ohms.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  That cabinet will actually be 100 watts, not 50. 4 x 25 = 100.
                  I've been told that's not how it works. From what I understand, it's still a 25W cabinet, but the load is spread out over the speakers.

Christian (The Guy Who Invented Fire) is the one to ask for this. Or Glassman.
                  Custom neck-thru strat
                  1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                  1995 PRS CE24
                  D'avanzo #8
                  Breedlove Solo Concert
                  1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                  1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                  1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                  Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

No, Erik is right. 4x25=100 watts, but your 50w head may push more than 50 watts maxxed out. You should be OK, but I wouldn't want to run the Mig60 I used to have maxxed through a GB cab. Also, low tunings at high levels can pop lower wattage speakers.

Comment

If I wasn't right, then current Marshall cabs wouldn't be rated at 300 watts (4 x 75) and Vintage Marshall RI cabs with Greenbacks wouldn't be rated at 100 watts (4 x 25).

Comment

The only weirdness that happens is if you have speakers of different wattage handling capabilities... I.e. a 25 watt greenback and a 60 watt vintage 30. The power will only be 50 wAtts.
                        Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by King IzzO))) View Post
                          No, Erik is right. 4x25=100 watts, but your 50w head may push more than 50 watts maxxed out. You should be OK, but I wouldn't want to run the Mig60 I used to have maxxed through a GB cab. Also, low tunings at high levels can pop lower wattage speakers.
                          We only play in Drop D every once in awhile, the rest of the time it's E standard. Good to know! I plan to wire up an 8 ohms cabinet so that we can keep the 8 ohms V30 in the combo hooked up and run the amp at 4 ohms

Comment

Yorkville Factory tour & some history.

Comment

Working...
                            X