1x12 on a budget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1x12 on a budget?

I've seen this on Thomann - it's made of MDF and I assume the stock speaker is junk.

But... at that price, I'm wondering if I could replace the speaker with something better but still cheap-ish like an Eminence Legend series or Jensen MOD series and have a decent sounding 1x12 for around £100.

Other budget 1x12s I have looked at include the Kustom Defender 112, Blackheart BH112 and the VHT closed back 112 with their own-brand Chrome Back speaker.

I realise none of these is likely to be a match for a Mesa, vintage Orange or whatever, but has anyone used any of them and what did you think?

Re: 1x12 on a budget?

My honest opinion: build one yourself. A nice 1x12 is quite simple when butt-joining (lots of info on all the different types of joints on the web of course, butt being the easiest and still very strong) and will be built to your specs.

The one I have I built while living in an appartment with only a jigsaw, a drill, screws and glue. I had the guy at the hardware store cut the plywood sheet to my measurements and the rest was easily done at home. I copied the specs from a Mesa 1x12 too.

Finishing: stain and varnish made for a very classy looking cab that looked good in our little living room at the time. Kicked the ass of any other cheap 1x12 made of MDF or mystery wood.

Those made by Mesa, Orange or others will be amazing but if you're on a budget, DIY is the way to go.

Comment

If you don't want to build one, here are some cheap ones:

Jet City $149

Kustom $99

Comment

It's a nice idea, and I have looked into this a bit.

Unfortunately, I don't have a jigsaw, and no space to keep one anyway. (Even making space for a speaker cabinet is going to be a struggle.) I think I would have problems cutting the circular hole in the baffle with a hand saw.

Also, it's not easy to get hold of the high quality void free plywood that is recommended for speakers - anything I can find in local hardware stores is general construction grade and full of voids; you can see them just by looking along the edge of the sheet. I guess I could try using MDF, but then I don't know if there's any advantage compared to just buying one. Even then, I don't have a car and it wouldn't be that easy to get the materials home.

Comment

I have the Blackstar 1/12 and mine sounds fantastic. I bought it to go under my JCA 22 Jet City head and thought the Blackstar with the Celsestian 70/Eighty nuked the Jet City 1/12 big time in tone. Musicians friend has them for $189 with free shipping and this is a REALLY nice sounding great looking cab!!
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
          Last edited by Ascension; 05-23-2012, 09:27 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

DIY is the way. If not, buy a DIY cab used. I got mine that way, oversized. It's made of pine.
            Dropped a Wizard in it, it kicks ass.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I had a blackheart 1x12 and it sounded a little boxy but it by no means sounded bad.

Comment

Working...
              X