best tubes? for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best tubes? for metal?

Got a peavey 3120 with el34's but thinking about some 6l6's or maybe some kt77 I like both I think it would be killer to have the combination of the two?!

Re: best tubes? for metal?

I'd say modern Metal Amplification has done the most with a combination of hi tech amps able to be biased on the fly with BOTH 6l6's and EL34's?
    Other than that, I think Boogie /Soldano has traveressed the most ground with the 6L6,
    Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-27-2012, 08:27 PM.
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

you could also try the E34L (JJ makes em)...it's also sort of a cross between a regular EL34 and a 6L6, soundwise.

If you do decide to go with KT77s, you might want to check the resistance and wattage ratings of your screen grid resistors. If they are too low, you could burn out the resistors and possibly one or more of your tubes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
        you could also try the E34L (JJ makes em)...it's also sort of a cross between a regular EL34 and a 6L6, soundwise.

If you do decide to go with KT77s, you might want to check the resistance and wattage ratings of your screen grid resistors. If they are too low, you could burn out the resistors and possibly one or more of your tubes as well.
        I've thought alot about the e34l's

Comment

I've tried most common power valves and for metal of any kinda i just keep coming back to the JJ E34L.

It has the tightest lows that i've found that aren't flubby in anyway and the midrange has a really nice aggression as does the high end without being too fizzy

As has already been stated you may want to check the screen grids.
          Ideally you are going to be wanting 1k/3w at the very minimum but i always go with 5w just to be on the safer side.
          Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
          WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
          http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Working...
          X