No announcement yet.

How to deal with a single channel amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with a single channel amp.

The way I see it, for playing Rock there's two approaches with a single channel amp:

1) Setting the amp right where it starts to cook, then blast the preamp with a OD/Boost/whatever pedal. The classic way.

2) Running the amp hard and distorted, then cleaning the sound up with a EQ pedal with the volume set low in front of the amp. Mimmicking the volume knob on the guitar, but with no tonal loss.
    I think Paul Gilbert uses this method.

(I'm ignoring the third way of running the amp clean and getting all the dirt from a distortion pedal. I don't want that.)

Right now I'm toying with my Tweaker, since I'm not really liking the tone of the Blues Driver pushing the amp.
    I'm getting really close to what I want with a cheap Behringer bass preamp pedal in front, set with the level real low and with some treble in.
    It sounds so much better than just rolling the volume down.

Are there any obvious pro or cons to one method or the other that I'm missing?
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: How to deal with a single channel amp.

I've always been an exponent of getting the signal right at the start of the chain, and then working the right input/output settings out as you get towards the speakers - that's the recording approach though, as in how to get a clean unclipped signal laid down with a good s/n ration. That perhaps isn't the best (only) way for good tone from a guitar/amp, where distortion is all a part of the mix. Reading the above though, #1 still feels right and that you just need to settle on the perfect OD/boost for you with that amp.
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

i am doing the second...
      But I don't use any pedals at all...
      Avenger-cable-BK VHII
      I set a lead setting to the amp and let the volume knob to do the rest...
      I can have 4 diffrent channels out of one channel amp...(Clean 10%,Crunch 30%,Heavy 75%,lead 100%)
      It's sick...

Comment

I like to get the amp to a nice level of crunch for rhythms

Then i have two options I have a boost of some kind for solos and an EQ pedal for cleans.

Similar approach to what you are doing but it just gives you three options rather than two.

My actual preference though is a 2 channel amp.
        Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
        WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
        http://fret.boards.net

Comment

I use a combo of both methods. I dial my amp into a good crunchy rythem, use my volume knob and/or a eq pedal to clean it up, and then a fulldrive 2 for leads and real heavy stuff. If I want a prettier clean sound, I add my phaser or a flanger. Easy, effective and always cool watching people scratch their heads thinking I have a multi channel amp lol.
          Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Both methods can be used at any time by just employing your favoyrite overdrive for boost, and winding back on your volume for clean.
            Can you decribe what is it about the blues driver you dont like Diego? I'm not a huge fan of them, modded or otherwise, so perhaps just a change of pedal will get you the sounds you are after.

Re: tonal loss when dropping the volume. Losing a little top end is not such a bad thing when rolling back the volume. Your sound sits further back in the mix and is also warmer and less present. Quite often many players dont use the full on volume for clean sounds for that very reason. Don't forget that the band changes in volume a lot depending on what the drummer is doing, and most often, cleaner playing is usually used when the drummer is hitting less hard and everyone is chilling a bit, rather than rocking the house. Dynamics are the key to sounding great as a band.

If you really want to keep your clarity when playing clean there are 2 more options. One is to install a simple treble bleed circuit in your guitar, and the other is to use your amp for pure clean and get dirt from your pedals (which you already said you dont want to do).
            Do you ever point your amp straight at your head? Either by elevating the speaker or tilting it back, you will get a whole other perspective of things. The reason is that treble waves are very directional, whereas bass waves are much more diffuse. Often when you have the amp on the ground or pointing at your legs, it sounds great to you, but to the audience where its facing, or indeed to the mic that is sending your guitar sound to the PA the sound may be extremely bright and unpleasant. Try it some time, and you will probably find you can live with less treble quite happily.

So, three things you can try. One is to tilt your amp back, two is to use your stock volume knob for cleaning up, and three is to try a pedal that is less cutting/present than a blues driver.
            Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-01-2012, 06:05 PM.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Option 3:

Turn it own, turn it up, rawk out with your cawk out.

There is NO turning it down!
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                Both methods can be used at any time by just employing your favoyrite overdrive for boost, and winding back on your volume for clean.
                Can you decribe what is it about the blues driver you dont like Diego? I'm not a huge fan of them, modded or otherwise, so perhaps just a change of pedal will get you the sounds you are after.

Re: tonal loss when dropping the volume. Losing a little top end is not such a bad thing when rolling back the volume. Your sound sits further back in the mix and is also warmer and less present. Quite often many players dont use the full on volume for clean sounds for that very reason. Don't forget that the band changes in volume a lot depending on what the drummer is doing, and most often, cleaner playing is usually used when the drummer is hitting less hard and everyone is chilling a bit, rather than rocking the house. Dynamics are the key to sounding great as a band.

If you really want to keep your clarity when playing clean there are 2 more options. One is to install a simple treble bleed circuit in your guitar, and the other is to use your amp for pure clean and get dirt from your pedals (which you already said you dont want to do).
                Do you ever point your amp straight at your head? Either by elevating the speaker or tilting it back, you will get a whole other perspective of things. The reason is that treble waves are very directional, whereas bass waves are much more diffuse. Often when you have the amp on the ground or pointing at your legs, it sounds great to you, but to the audience where its facing, or indeed to the mic that is sending your guitar sound to the PA the sound may be extremely bright and unpleasant. Try it some time, and you will probably find you can live with less treble quite happily.

So, three things you can try. One is to tilt your amp back, two is to use your stock volume knob for cleaning up, and three is to try a pedal that is less cutting/present than a blues driver.
                My Blues Driver is modified to Keeley settings. It still cuts too much bass and bumps the mids too much IMO, it makes things tighter but I don't always want that.
                I want something that won't change my EQ curve so much.

That's why I'm getting a Zvex Super Duper.
                I understand that less brightness makes for a sweeter, more subdued sound, but I can manage that otherwise. I really don't like too trebly sounds but I hate muffled sounds, too.
                I want that to be an option, not mandatory.
                Last edited by Diego; 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Depends on how clean you want your cleans! I run my amps full out including all effects and then use a Heavy Electronics Descend fer stepping down the saturation. -
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                  X