Emi Governor and Celestion G12T-75?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emi Governor and Celestion G12T-75?

Will the delta between sensitivities be an issue? Emi suggests the sensitivites to be within 2-3 dBs for different types.

The Emi is at 102db while the Celestion is at 97db...giving me a 5db delta. Will the governor be noticeably louder? Or is this gap just because Emi and Celestion just use a different method of measuring sensitivity?

Re: Emi Governor and Celestion G12T-75?

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
    Will the delta between sensitivities be an issue? Emi suggests the sensitivites to be within 2-3 dBs for different types.

The Emi is at 102db while the Celestion is at 97db...giving me a 5db delta. Will the governor be noticeably louder? Or is this gap just because Emi and Celestion just use a different method of measuring sensitivity?
    I put a unsed canibs rex into my Traynor & run it with 1 12 cab I hink I have gov ycv 20 I wanted to tame the highs because it is at ear level. I love my Traynors !! --never thought I'd part with 1/2 dozen mesa's though I did !!

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post

The gov is going to be louder.
      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Yep, IMHO, it'll be an issue.

To give you an idea, s difference of 3db is the equivalent of doubling an amp's wattage (that is to say, with the same cab, a 100 watt amp will be 3db louder than a 50 watt amp). 2db is what is usually considered the minimum to hear a difference between 2 different speakers.

5's gonna be big and the Governor's gonna overpower the celestion. Not an ideal match, again, IMHO...

Comment

Crap. That means the Governor is no longer an option then.

Edit: I just gotten a reply from Emi... took only minutes! Fastest customer service reply yet!

It is difficult to compare our SPL ratings to another manufacturer's. The problem is that there is no industry standard method of representing SPL and we all do it a bit differently. I can tell you from experience that the Governor will be a bit louder than the G12T-75, but I do not think it will be a significant enough difference that you can't pair them together effectively.

Should I get a Governor?

Btw... I'm doing sort of a mini-stack with another 1x12 cab. The G12T-75 is in a JCM900 combo.
          Last edited by fretburner; 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I have done the v30 and gt12-75 combo as well. The v30 was louder. Enough that u do not hear the 75. It is there and fills out frequencies and all that.

I found the governor louder than the v30
            Epiphone LP Special w/JB
            Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

If you want a more even playing field, the Governor matches well with the Man-O-War, which is Emi's version of the G12T-75.

LP Custom
              Greenbacks
              Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                If you want a more even playing field, the Governor matches well with the Man-O-War, which is Emi's version of the G12T-75.
                +1
                Epiphone LP Special w/JB
                Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have budget for 2 speakers for now. I'm going to buy an active speaker first (for acoustic and vocals) before thinking of another guitar speaker.

Originally posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
                  I have done the v30 and gt12-75 combo as well. The v30 was louder. Enough that u do not hear the 75. It is there and fills out frequencies and all that.

I found the governor louder than the v30
                  Bummer. I thought a V30 was safe because they're supposed to be both 97db.

Good thing is that a friend of mine has an Emi Governor that he will lend me, just to hear how it pairs up with the T75. I will report back.

Comment

If the Gov works well, but you think the G12T should contribute more, just get the Gov now and then the MOW later.

LP Custom
                    Greenbacks
                    Boss SD-1

Comment

I have a 4x12 loaded with this combo. It absolutely KILLS for rock music. Louder and fuller than it's celestion counterparts.

Comment

If the Gov works well, but you think the G12T should contribute more, just get the Gov now and then the MOW later.
                        That sounds like a plan...

Comment

I finally got the Emi Governor on my JCM900 combo and G12T-75 on my closed-back extension cab... and while the sound I'm getting is absolutely awesome, the Emi Governor just OVERPOWERS the T75.

I could barely hear the T75, but I know it's there because I can hear and feel the bottom end. It's a GREAT combo. Now I have 2 choices -- pass on the Emi Governor and buy me a V30, or buy an Emi Governor (the Emi was lent to me by a friend) then save up some more for a Man-O-War later on.

Decisions, decisions...

Comment

Run this combo in my 4x12 right now.
                            It is not permanent for my tones, but see no problems with dissimilar volumes either.

Comment

Working...
                            X