EH Nano Fuzz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EH Nano Fuzz?

Okay, so my wife and I have both become big fans of Elbow - particularly their song 'Grounds for Divorce', which has a wonderfully gnarly guitar riff doubled with the bass, all chewed up with a fuzz pedal. I know the guitar was fuzzed with a Big Muff, so I'm guessing the bass was, too.

We were watching the BBC concert DVD last night, and my wife asked if I could play it. I said "Sure, but I don't have a pedal to do that to my bass. I traded the Zoom because I don't use that effect on my bass a whole lot."

"What'd you trade it for?"

"The Fender Deluxe that I'm fixing up."

And she smacked me in the forehead. Quite forcefully.

Explaining the Zoom had never sounded that good helped a little.

So, reading between the lines, I'm now under orders to buy a fuzz pedal.

Now, in talking to a friend and doing some reading on here, I know a Black Russian Big Muff is the way to go.

However, the implied order is to keep it on the cheap, soooo...

Nano Fuzz? I can get one used for cheap.

How hard would it be to mod a Nano to get me control of either the tone, or the sustain? There's not enough space for both...

The song in question:

"Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Re: EH Nano Fuzz?

It would probably be more expensive to buy a Nano and mod it then just pick up a used Big Muff.

Maybe it's not exactly what you want, but if you don't have a choice? I've seen used BMs go under $100 all the time.
    For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
    http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

I was just recently on a bender to get my perfect fuzz, which resulted in me getting a large box russian muff yesterday.

What's cheap to you? What's your range?

The nano fuzz, imho, is not worth the money. A good temporary fix, but it will leave you wanting more. If you are really wanting to get into the black russian muff, scope out a used one. I'm not a big fan of the smaller boxed ones, but a lot of people like them, and they can be had for around 60-70$ around here. The clip you posted really has a dark and buzzy character to it, but he's using some sort of light modulation, to my ears at least.

If you can't score a black russian, check the little big muff instead of the nano. It won't get as dark, but at least you'll have a few knobs to tweek, and you should get close enough, although they tend to be more aggressive.

I'd give you other suggestions, but they'd be pricier, which would defeat the purpose.
      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

I put my nano muff on eBay the evening I got it. Just didn't have "it"
        Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
        Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
        Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
        Epiphone LP Special w/JB
        Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
        Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
        1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
        Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
          The clip you posted really has a dark and buzzy character to it, but he's using some sort of light modulation, to my ears at least.
          The interview I read about the album said they recorded it in three or four octaves on guitar, then double tracked it on bass. Not sure what they did to duplicate that live, but I imagine Octavias may have been involved.

I'm trying to keep it under $50... I do have a Digitech RP-7, which has a fuzz setting, but I'm not sure how well that'd work for bass.
          Last edited by jtougas; 06-04-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
            The interview I read about the album said they recorded it in three or four octaves on guitar, then double tracked it on bass. Not sure what they did to duplicate that live, but I imagine Octavias may have been involved.

I'm trying to keep it under $50... I do have a Digitech RP-7, which has a fuzz setting, but I'm not sure how well that'd work for bass.
            Get a cosmetically challenged, but perfectly functional Big Muff, Russian Big Muff, or Little Big Muff. You should be happy.
            - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

I just bought a Biyang Fuzz Star, based on this video :

Hopefully, the QC is nice and consistent...
              Last edited by jtougas; 06-04-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X