Orange amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange amps

I didnt want to hijack Surgeon's amp thread, so Im starting another.

Obviously, orange amps are becoming very popular. My local shop pretty much only carries the small ones. I played one big head once that was awesome and another one that seemed to have very little gain..

Can someone give me a lil run down of the different models and features? What has more gain, things like that..
    IIRC there is a Thunderverb, TD30...

Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Orange amps

I'm an orange fanboy(man) and that's still too much for me...

Here are two good links though, better than nothing.

and

The standard tiny and dual terrors are they're budget low-wattage versions of the AD series, which is the tube rectified more vintage-oriented crunch.

The Rockerverbs have more gain and are more shredder oriented. Tons of gain and yet great cleans and in-between tones. The dard-terror fills that place within the budget low-wattage series.

Thunderverbs Have less gain but have massive tone, can be used as bass amps as well. Their massive trannies give them a huge bass response when used with guitar.

The TH have the most gain of them all.

The ORs are single channel, supposed to be more vintage but they do have a lot of gain on tap and sound really creamy-fuzzy nice.

I don't have experience with all of these of course so watch the video...

Comment

He said massive tranny!!!

Comment

you get what you pay for, but even so all components are thru a circuit board so orange amps are hard to work on...

I love my thunderverb 50 and closed back 212 cab. mastodon and DOWN use them and they are my fav touring bands except for Them Crooked Vultures who would prolly not be opposed to this amp. it is very dynamic of an amp and the low end is really extreme, but yet has an awesome inverterattenuator so you get low end bass and growl and can sacrifice the stage volume. the 412 cab weighs 100+ pounds so take note that having an orange stack is not really doable with 412 unless you wanna sacrifice your back! expensive but worth it, really the same price as the others mesa/marshall/vox... note that humbuckermusic.com has good deals on orange amps... the thunder 100 is $1300 but thunder are the first batches coming from china so watch out for QAQC as even the rockerverb had major probs coming out of England at first.
        Last edited by everdrone; 06-10-2012, 01:54 AM.

Comment

thanks for the info!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I've played on a couple. The Tiny Terror which was very cool. And another at guitar center that I can't remember, but it had reverb and some great distorted tones. I think they make really good stuff. As cool as the Tiny Terror was, for the price and for a small amp my Blackstar is fine. If I was going to spend that much I'd just buy a Mini-Recto.

Comment

ya I really want a tiny terror combo...the 10" is $550 but the 12" is everyones fav and is a lil more

really like el34 and closed back and more watts but its not gonna happen for 37 pounds of portability

Comment

Originally posted by LatsMcGee View Post
                He said massive tranny!!!
                lol!

Comment

I have had a thunderverb 200 on my list for a long time, but $3k is a lot of money to get a new one. If I can find one used for a decent price count me in on an Orange.

Comment

My amp goal at the moment is Tiny Terror and a 212. Everdrone, thank you immensely for posting that site. It just brought me so much closer.
                    Originally posted by Aceman
                    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I have no intention of getting a BIG Orange amp as I still love my other amps but I now have a T.T and a D.T and they really rock. Love 'em!

Comment

I owned a single channel AD30 for years and have used a Tiny Terror, Dark Terror and a Thunder30.

The AD30 and the Tiny Terror were quite similar in tone, very vintage with a fuzzy tone as the gain was wound up. I used to set my AD for a very slight breakup so that if I hit the guitar hard I got breakup and if I back off a bit I got a clean tone with a slight hint of hair on it. It also took pedals very well.

The Dark Terror and Thunder30 I used at an open day a local shop had. The Thunder30 was an awesome amp! The cleans were good and the drive channel had more gain that I'd ever need myself. We even got Pantera levels of gain out of it for a laugh The overdrive wasn't as fuzzy as my AD was, but alot more modernly voiced. Apparently the Dark Terror is just the drive channel of the Thunder30, which would explain why they were very similar.

Comment

Working...
                        X