Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC flashback

Thoughts?

Its time for me to pick up a delay unit, and I had pretty much settled on the MXR CC. Im an old school analog and tape echo guy, and it does what I need it to as faras delay times and its got a nice warm tone. I also understand it works well into the front of the amp, which is important as my amp has no FX loop.

But I see where the TCFB has a looper, which I find amazing as a practice tool. its only 20 bucks more than the MXR, however Im wondering if the analog and tape echo variants stand up to the actual analog warm tone of the MXR.

Anyone care to comment?

Ps. My budget is already stretched @ $150 ish as im also needing other things, id grab a space echo if I could.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: TC flashback

Small cheap.....I would buy the CC instead if I where you.....nothing wrong with the TC....but I think you would like the character of the CC more in the long run, than endless options jack of all trades thingy.

Comment

I don't know either of those units, so I can't be much help. I only own 2 'delay' units: the Space Echo and an old Ibeenhad pink analogue delay, which I don't care much for 'cause it's more like slap-back ...

That being said, delay is quite different from echo. It all comes down to what you want.

TC Flashback might be more versatile ... but, do you need that? If not, then the Carbon Copy will do just fine.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thx guys.

Indeed my usage is very limited in need. Im not a fan of do it all products in general. Just the looping is a big draw. But i dont want to sacrifice tone for it.
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Its not enough of a looper to be a practice tool in my opinion.

Its just enough time to lay down a rhythm part and play lead over it.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'm very interested in the Flashback myself.

Comment

I've never heard of a single person who regretted buying a TC Flashback. I'd get one myself, if I didn't already own a million other delay pedals.

Comment

Thanks folks. The 40 sec of loop time in the TC is plenty for me. But ive been searching yootoob clips, and i just havent found any I like using the analog or tape setting. The other modes are not something I would use, or are too clear/crisp/digital.

Still undecided, but leaning towards CC.

Comment

what specific sounds do you like...warm and modulated or crisp and clean?
                  Originally posted by jeremy
                  God hates bad guitar tone
                  GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                  AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                  EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                  Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Heyya Hoss.

Definitely on the warm side. Analog..tape...i dont mind faux tape or analog if its good.

Comment

I spent HOURS listening to clips last night and came to a few conclusions.

Even the higher quality flashback clips left me cold in the tape and analog modes.

The aquapuss is cool, but not enough delay time for me, and its a bit too clear.

The EH Memory Toy is now the CCs biggest contender. Its not quite as warm as the CC, but has a very cool spacey echo-y type flavor to it.

They are opening up a new GC on thursday about 1.5 miles from my house. I live up on a mountain, and its down in a valley on the other side of a puddle jumper airport. I can actually see it from my deck when the leaves fall. Likely going to be bad news for my bank account,lol.Will prolly head over and see if they have all of these.
                      Last edited by JeffB; 06-10-2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Looping is a good tool I guess but if I were you I'd just get the Carbon Copy...I liked that delay for old school analog pedal delay.
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I love my TC Chorus so I'm sure the TC Flashback is real good too.

But the EH Memory Man Deluxe is the one I'd recommend. If mine disappeared I wouldn't even audition anything else - I'd just get another Memory Man.

I've owned so many delay devices over the years (Echoplex, Boss, Line 6, etc.) that I can't even remember them all. The MM remains my fave.
                          Last edited by Gypsyblue; 06-10-2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I want to add that the EH Memory Man not only has wonderfully warm and clean echo, but that the LEVEL control can be used (and SHOULD be used) for boosting your guitar signal - especially if you use single coils. With the level on my MM set for some boost, I can lower the volume control on my Strat for cleaner tones that don't get muddy and which retain highs even with the volume on the guitar turned way down, and then raise the volume on my Strat for more overdriven tones. Works BEAUTIFULLY! Use that EHMM level control as a boost - not just to achieve unity gain.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                              I spent HOURS listening to clips last night and came to a few conclusions.

Even the higher quality flashback clips left me cold in the tape and analog modes.

The aquapuss is cool, but not enough delay time for me, and its a bit too clear.

The EH Memory Toy is now the CCs biggest contender. Its not quite as warm as the CC, but has a very cool spacey echo-y type flavor to it.
                              I'd really love to know how you came to those conclusions listening to YouTube posts....conclusion is a pretty strong word.

I don't make any except the most vague and general possible considerations after recording, eq, playing, amp/guitars and Tube vid quality, followed by my computer/speaker combo.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X