Best Modeling Combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Modeling Combo?

I hit the GC this past weekend and got to try out several for the fun of it and started to come up with some opinions. I wondered what the concensus was.
    Roland Cube
    9.09%
    Line 6 Spider
    6.82%
    Vox Valvetronix
    34.09%
    Fender Mustang
    20.45%
    Peavey Vypyr
    2.27%
    Other
    11.36%
    They are all crap! / Rob Option
    15.91%

Re: Best Modeling Combo?

I've only tried the Line 6 and Vox. Both are good, but the Valvetronix sounds better to my ears. Some modeling amps are too processed sounding, but the vox sounds more natural to me.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

IMO, it's the Vox, hands down. I've been using an AD50VT since 2006 and gig with it all the time. No issues other than replacing the tube once or twice. Just did a speaker swap not long ago for the heck of it. It has a Celestion CL80 in there now. Sounds even better.

A close second for me would be the Roland Cube.
      Last edited by ErikH; 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I love my Vox VT40+, it's small, loud, and most of all sounds great! I will throw some props to the Roland Cube amps, they sound great but for me it's Vox Vox Vox!
        Epiphone Coronet w/ Paf-Pro and HS-2
        Yamaha Drop 6 w/EMG 81 and 85
        Fender Stratocaster w/ Lace Sensors R-S-B
        1968 Ovation Tornado Electric
        all rocking into a Vox AC-4TV
        viva la Vox!
        ShoogaGoogaGunga!

Comment

I will also say that I have heard good tones from the Peavey's but I just can't stand all the plastic all over the face of it. Looks like it's just waiting to break!
          Epiphone Coronet w/ Paf-Pro and HS-2
          Yamaha Drop 6 w/EMG 81 and 85
          Fender Stratocaster w/ Lace Sensors R-S-B
          1968 Ovation Tornado Electric
          all rocking into a Vox AC-4TV
          viva la Vox!
          ShoogaGoogaGunga!

Comment

If you can afford it the Spider Valve or maybe even the Peavey Vyper valve amps. I have owned several of the Vox amps and the Vox ST and though I like them a lot I think I like the sound better of the other two. I use them for recording only so can't speak to playing live with them or as an amp for practice. The bigger Cube amps are nice and so are the Mustangs.

This is pretty good:

Pulse 2AM - YouTube
            Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Out of all I tried, I thought the vox sounded the best. I dont tend to like top panel combo amps, but the overall layout was pretty user friendly which made them easy to dial in tones rather nicely.

Most all peavey distorted tones sound buzzy to me. Especially the vypyrs and valvekings. I still want to try out the new generation of the bandit 112. It looks to have all the right features when you dont need a gazillion effects or presets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ball&Chain View Post
                Out of all I tried, I thought the vox sounded the best. I dont tend to like top panel combo amps, but the overall layout was pretty user friendly which made them easy to dial in tones rather nicely.

Most all peavey distorted tones sound buzzy to me. Especially the vypyrs and valvekings. I still want to try out the new generation of the bandit 112. It looks to have all the right features when you dont need a gazillion effects or presets.
                Did you try the "valve" Vyper and Spiders? They're more expensive though. Also with all of them you have to make you're own presets to get the most out of them.
                Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Ive tried them both. I try to dial in my own tones. Most of the presets have all the effects stuff I dont have much use for.

Comment

I voted Mustang because I happen to love Fender tones the most and fender knocks those outta the park. The Marshall-esque models are decent, and the whole shebang takes my stomp boxes somewhat decently as well.

Plus, the level of connectivity and control with the Fuse software is insane. In Fuse you can change between cab sims, change all the presets, tweak amps with parameters like "bias" and "sag", add noise gates, OD, modulation, reverb, etc, and it's all extremely easy to use.

They're cheap, reliable (so far), and they look good and sound good. Some amp models clean up very well with the guitar's volume giving you a decently "tube-like" experience... what more could you want?

Comment

Mustang all the way for me. I've tried every amp on that list except the Peavey (because, seriously ... it's a Peavey) and owned a Vox VT30 for a while. The Mustang kills them all. It has the most "real" sounding and feeling models, and the Fuse software takes it over the top.

I went in with $300 to spend on a practice amp, and wound up choosing the $100 Mustang I.
                      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

If you play heavy music i don't think the Mustang is the right choice, I bought the Mustang 1 and returned it after using the Fuse software with it I still couldn't get a heavy tone i thought was good. For most rock though they're great.
                        Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                        Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

I voted for the Cube. I have a Cube 60, and I love it. Its easy to dial in a good tone on it, and the cleans are spectacular.
                          Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
                            If you play heavy music i don't think the Mustang is the right choice, I bought the Mustang 1 and returned it after using the Fuse software with it I still couldn't get a heavy tone i thought was good. For most rock though they're great.
                            I'm not into metal much but I can get an OK "Crazy Train" type of tone on the twin reverb model with my crunchbox out front.

I'll admit though, that's probably the one big downfall of the mustang. The high gain models sound thick and compressed but in a pretty muddy way, with less dynamics and harmonics than I'd want. Better use the noise gate, too.

Comment

personally I vote for fender mustang or roland cube but really I think it just depends on what you are after sonically and featurewise. The Fender nails all the classic clean and slightly gritty sounds while still having some good heavy crunch tones. With FUSE it's very tweakable and using it with Amplitube/computer recording it's wicked cool. I kinda wish I hadn't sold mine it was a great apartment amp. The Cubes are also very cool. Vyper wasn't bad but I've heard that the control panel/computer on them can have issues. I hated the Line 6 spider personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X