• Show
Clear All

• need new wah pedal

im thinking:
    area 51
    vox
    wh10v2
    crybaby

what do you like best. i kind of want a frusciante tone but i dont want a tone sucker or a easily breakable wah like the wh10 but if it is that good ill hhighly consider it. thanks.

Re: need new wah pedal

Jeffery Teese IMHO makes the best wahs I have heard aside from a real "vintage" wah. He makes many different models, but I prefer the Picture Wah & the Joe Walsh. Both of these are very tradional sounding. Think Tales of Brave Ulysses or Hendrix. He also makes many models that are completely adjustable.

Teese wah Real McCoy Custom Clyde McCoy Picture Vox Crybaby Cry Baby Thomas Organ Company wah-wah wha-wha pedal guitar effect Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese wah wah wah wah wah wah

I actually don't own one. A few months back I was having trouble with my Thomas Organ Company Wah so I was considering buying one of these but my buddy John Spina fixed my wah & sold me another Thomas Organ Company wah that he modded. I really like the "old School" sound of a Wah. I now have 5 wahs and they all work in different ways. I have a Vox Clyde McCoy on my small board that I use with my fender amps. I have a modded Vox 847 on my board that I use with my Marshall & I have my Thomas Organ Company wah on my main board. They all sound different but similar. I think its more about the amp that makes them sound different.

On the Real McCoy website there are clips of each of the wahs they sell. Our own Wah Wah is featured on there. His Wah tones are awesome!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I picked up one of the new Vox handwired wahs off of CL for $100. I really like it a lot.
      Last edited by B Bent; 06-14-2012, 07:25 AM.
      I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
        Jeffery Teese IMHO makes the best wahs I have heard aside from a real "vintage" wah. He makes many different models, but I prefer the Picture Wah & the Joe Walsh. Both of these are very tradional sounding. Think Tales of Brave Ulysses or Hendrix. He also makes many models that are completely adjustable.

Teese wah Real McCoy Custom Clyde McCoy Picture Vox Crybaby Cry Baby Thomas Organ Company wah-wah wha-wha pedal guitar effect Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese Teese wah wah wah wah wah wah

On the Real McCoy website there are clips of each of the wahs they sell. Our own Wah Wah is featured on there. His Wah tones are awesome!
        I ordered one of Geoffrey Teese's wah guts and put it in a CryBaby volume pedal I had. It is a great sounding wah. I also orderd the FoxRox wah retrofit to make it fuzz friendly. Teese's wahs already come w/fuzz friendly technology. They are a bit pricey, but worth it. My Teese wah sounds like a mix of the Picture Wah and the RMC1.
        Farhad aka Strat111

"The older I get, the better I used to be".
        Woke up this morning, sticky, broke, & confused.

Comment

Everyone has a different idea of what the wah sound is. For this reason, I recommend the Dunlop 535Q Crybaby. It has a lot of play in terms of knobs and parameters you can tweak to get your ideal sound. I am a big fan of the optional boost that can engage with the wah.

They are real road warriors, and sound great. I've yet to meet someone who can't get a good sound out of one.
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

What Phil said. Really versatile. However, too many knobs and too many options tend to make me crazy trying to tweak the right sound out. A nice simple wah with little or no options would be cool too.

A standard vox v847 won't do it for you if you're going for that sound. It's great but it's super trebbly and good for that naisilly funk sound. Go to your local GC or guitar store and just buy a crybaby classic (highly reccomended over the original). Take it home just to try it out on your rig, and if you don't totally dig it just return it. GCs return policy is 30 days and they'll give you your money back, no problems.

Then you will have an idea of what that sounds like and you can use that to compare against other wahs.
            Gear:
            Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
            Epi Dot Natural
            Partscaster blackie
            Breedlove Passport Mahogany
            VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
            Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

I have a lot of adjustments on my Wahs too, but the reality is I don't use any of them. When I first got it I spent about an hour getting it where I like it & have never touch the knobs again. I don't like twisting all the knobs. I like playing!!
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                I have a lot of adjustments on my Wahs too, but the reality is I don't use any of them. When I first got it I spent about an hour getting it where I like it & have never touch the knobs again. I don't like twisting all the knobs. I like playing!!
                Same here... but it's being able to set it to where you never have to touch it again that is the benefit of having the adjustments there. You can dial in just the tone you dig.
                - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

You guys must have a different mindset than me as I had to get rid of my 535Q as I messed with it endlessly. I finally landed on a KH Crybaby and I don't think about it anymore. I do agree though that the 535Q is the most versatile if that is what you are looking for in a wah.

Comment

How does the overall tone differ between an inductor wah (Dunlop) and an optical wah (Morley)?

I have the Dunlop Dimebag wah and it has too many options. I'm not even sure exactly what everything's doing. I want a simple plug & play pedal.

Comment

I've been using a Modtone, and it's pretty good. I originally bought it as a backup, but I've been using it regularly for quite a while, now. It's not quite as thick as I'd like, but it's true bypass, and does the job rather nicely.

For the price, I can't complain. Beats the Hell out of a Dunlop GCB-95, that's for sure! Although that might not be saying much! LOL

Comment

There are Wah conneseurs - guys want a very specific tone, and it's a CryBaby, Hot rodded Crybaby, Vox, etc...

Or they love all sorts of wah. If you have to ask, you are not in the first group, and thus I am all onboard with Phil.

A 535 will be my next wah. Of course, I have this in the meantime:

Crybaby Stereo-Fuzz Wah (with Volume!)

Last edited by Aceman; 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I love the sound of RMC wahs but after a LOT of issues with my last one I sold it and moved to Wilson Wahs...same or better tone, better construction, just as good of customer service that I have to use a LOT less than RMC.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've been using a Modtone, and it's pretty good. I originally bought it as a backup, but I've been using it regularly for quite a while, now. It's not quite as thick as I'd like, but it's true bypass, and does the job rather nicely.
                            I've got a Modtone that I use as well. Hard to beat for $40 bucks.

Comment

If anyone wants to see the old Thomas Organ Sepulveda location, it's this dirt lot adjacent to the big Fedex hub in North Hills, Ca.....formerly Sepulveda.
                              Ten years ago, it was a GoKart track.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X