Ampeg Reverberocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg Reverberocket?

What are everyone's thoughts on this amp? There is one for sale locally right now. I went to the shop with my guitars and pedalboard on hand and I played it for a good while. I think it sound pretty nice, so I am thinking about getting it. I "think" it is one of the reissues from the 90's, but I'm not 100% sure. It has been gone through and had all of the worn out caps replaced and its been retubed, all in the last year. The original speaker also stopped working, so it has been replaced with a new Eminence Sreamin Eagle. And I was also wondering, it has a Line Out and a Line In on the control panel of the amp, can that be used as an effects loop?

Thanks for any more info on the amp!
    Last edited by guitarkid; 06-18-2012, 11:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord. Psalm 100:1

Re: Ampeg Reverberocket?

Originally posted by karpathion
    From I've just read on it, it seems like a cool amp. They seem to go for good prices too.
    I'd imagine that line out would be for like a direct out. Maybe for recording, or into a PA?
    I don't think it's an fx loop.

Is it a head or combo? I see 2 versions. One with what looks like a loop, and one that doesn't.

Edit that: It may be an FX loop. I think it is. I didn't see the 2 inputs on the other side of the controll panel at first.
    It is the 1x12 Combo. Yeah it would be really nice if it is an fx loop.

Comment

Its a Poor Mans Fender Tweed Bassman, but with slightly more usable cleans. I wonder how it'd sound through a 4x10 cabinet.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

They're cool amps. I just wouldn't pay a lot for it. $400 tops. I wouldn't say it's exactly a poor mans Bassman, as it's 2 channels. It's a good sit between a Fender and Marshall tone. I wouldn't mind having the R50H head.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Ok cool. Its either $350 or $400, I don't remember which. I'm friends with the guy that owns the shop too, so I might be able to get even a better deal than what its priced at. It doesn't have the footswitch (I have one that will work though), but it does have the amp cover.

I did a google search and here is a pic of what the control panel looks like. As I said, it has a Line Out and a Line In on the right side of the panel, but I wasn't sure if that was for an fx loop or not...

Comment

That is a Crate era Peg and IMHO they are decent sounding amps but they have almost nothing in common with old Peg's and while we're at it it has nothing to do or in common with a Bassman either.

-correction-

With a cap job, once over and a new (much better than original) speaker it's worth $400 and then a little more if it's pretty clean.

If you dig it and can afford it get it.
            Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 06-19-2012, 03:03 AM.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
              That is a Crate era Peg and IMHO they are decent sounding amps but they have almost nothing in common with old Peg's and while we're at it it has nothing to do or in common with a Bassman either.

Line in and out are NOT an FX loop and should be used as one.

With a cap job, once over and a new (much better than original) speaker it's worth $400 and then a little more if it's pretty clean.

If you dig it and can afford it get it.
              Whats a Peg?
              The old ReverbRockets were outstanding amps, and had that old tweed bassman sound...but like a "poor mans" ( not the forums 'Poorman') Bassman.
              I only assumed the newer ones were sort of similar.
              Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-18-2012, 08:11 PM.
              "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Ampeg was bought out by St. Louis music products in the 80's(I think). They were made in the same factory that made all the Crate amps. Hence why people call them Crate era. IIRC, the newer production reverborockets actually have little to do with their 70's era counterparts other than the name. Again, I could be mistaken, but I remember several conversations about these a long time ago.
                Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Everett Hull would be rolling in his grave to hear someone comparing a Reverberocket to a tweed Bassman. The first Reverberockets used 6SN7 and 6SL7 octal preamp tubes, with cathode biased 6V6GT power tubes. Not even close to the same tones. Not to even mention that most Peggies were higher in price than comparable Fender amps when new.

The newer reissues are not the same amps at all, though they do sound REALLY good. Also, almost any single button channel change switch from Morley, or another company, will work.
                  Last edited by guitfiddle; 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM.
                  - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                  Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                  The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                    Everett Hull would be rolling in his grave to hear someone comparing a Reverberocket to a tweed Bassman. Not even close to the same tones. Not to even mention that most Peggies were higher in price than comparable Fender amps when new.
                    Absolutely were! Played bopth Fender Tweed bassmans AND ReverbRockets, and the Reverbrocket when crnaked gopt, as I say, a very Tweed bassmanesque sound.
                    If you disagree, you've obviously never played both like *I have.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      Absolutely were! Played bopth Fender Tweed bassmans AND ReverbRockets, and the Reverbrocket when crnaked gopt, as I say, a very Tweed bassmanesque sound.
                      I've played both, and neither made me think of the other. A 1x12, 6V6, 15 watt amp just don't sound like a 35 watt, 6L6 amp running four tens to me.
                      Last edited by guitfiddle; 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM.
                      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                        I've played both, and neither made me think of the other. A 1x12, 6V6, 15 watt amp just don't sound like a 35 watt, 6L6 amp running four tens to me.
                        Well, I guess we'll have to disagree to agree.
                        I'll let you in on a littel secret though. If more people actually knew how close they got to a 5 grand '59 Bassman , they'd be worth way more than 750 dollars.
                        Last edited by MetalManiac; 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM.

Comment

They are good sounding amps. I'd check E-Bay completed auctions to help find a value. I'd guess no more than $500. But there were three models. 1x12, 2x12, and head.

Neither the old ones or the newer ones remind me of a Bassman in any way other than that they are both guitar amps. One look at the control panel helps figure that out as well.

Also, Ampeg's instructions say that the line in and line out are an effects loop:

"Line Out: Use this jack to: (1) send a line-level signal to the input of an external effect for additional signal processing, or (2) send a line-level signal to an external amplifier, recording console or mixing board.

"Line In: Use this jack to: (1) return the processed signal from the output of an external effect, or (2) send a line-level signal into the amplifier when using it as a “slave” or extension amp."

The '90's Diamond Blue Ampegs were very good amps over all IMO. Not built like the old Ampegs V series, but not bottom of the barrel construction either. And they are all good sounding designs. I'm somewhat of a collector of them, actually. I have a J-12T, an R50H with straight cab, an SR-212RT, and a B-100R.

Here are all the ones I remember:

Jet II J-12T - 1x12, 15W class A advertised, but I've often seen it argued online that they are not class A. Tremolo, reverb, and one tone knob. 2 EL84's and 2 12AX7's. This is their most "vintage" style amp in the line. No lines in or out, no external speaker jack. I've had one since new, and it has been off and on as my main amp throughout the years.

Jet II J-12 - Same as above, but with no tremolo, and has bass/mid/treble tone controls instead of a single tone knob. Better tone controls at the expense of tremolo.

Super Jet SJ-12T - Same basic layout as the Jet II, but 50W class AB. 2 6l6's and 2 12AX7's.

Super Jet SJ-12 - Same as above, but with three tones and no tremolo.

Reverberocket - 50W class AB, two channel with shared E.Q., lines in and out, impedance switch, external speaker jack, and no tremolo. 2-button foot switch (reverb/channel) which uses a single stereo cable. A more modern 50 watter in terms of features, while the Super Jet was a more vintage style 50 watter. Reverberocket was available as a 1x12 (R-12R), a 2x12 (R-212R), and a head (R-50H), with straight and angled cabs available. 2 6L6's and three 12AX7's.

Super Rocket SR-212RT - 100W class AB 2x12 combo. Features are basically the same as the Reverberocket, but it has tremolo (switchable). 3 12AX7's and 4 6L6's. 3-button foot switch, which uses a joined dual cable that consists of two stereo cables (one of which only controls one function, but this makes it so either plug can go into either jack). Or you can use a two-button 1/4" stereo switch and a one-button 1/4" mono switch separately.

Rocket Bass B-50R - 1x12 50W solid state bass combo. Kind of like a BA-112, but blue, and with a few control changes. No 5-way style switch, for instance. No external speaker jack, and no extension cab was ever made for it (a darned shame IMO). Has line in and headphone jack.

Rocket Bass B-100R. Same as above, but 1x15 100W. Bought one new, and has been my only bass amp since.

Portaflex reissue, B-15R. 1x15 tube 100W flip top. Never saw one anywhere, but they seem to be well loved.

The current Jet 20 watter came later (post SLM, I beleive), and I don't know anything about it.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-19-2012, 01:58 AM. Reason: there/their
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            They are good sounding amps. I'd check E-Bay completed auctions to help find a value. I'd guess no more than $500. But there were three models. 1x12, 2x12, and head.

Neither the old ones or the newer ones remind me of a Bassman in any way other than that they are both guitar amps. One look at the control panel helps figure that out as well.

Also, Ampeg's instructions say that the line in and line out are an effects loop:

"Line Out: Use this jack to: (1) send a line-level signal to the input of an external effect for additional signal processing, or (2) send a line-level signal to an external amplifier, recording console or mixing board.

"Line In: Use this jack to: (1) return the processed signal from the output of an external effect, or (2) send a line-level signal into the amplifier when using it as a “slave” or extension amp."

The '90's Diamond Blue Ampegs were very good amps over all IMO. Not built like the old Ampegs V series, but not bottom of the barrel construction either. And they are all good sounding designs. I'm somewhat of a collector of them, actually. I have a J-12T, an R50H with straight cab, an SR-212RT, and a B-100R.

Here are all the ones I remember:

Jet II J-12T - 1x12, 15W class A advertised, but I've often seen it argued online that they are not class A. Tremolo, reverb, and one tone knob. 2 EL84's and 2 12AX7's. This is there most "vintage" style amp in the line. No lines in or out, no external speaker jack. I've had one since new, and it has been off and on as my main amp throughout the years.

Jet II J-12 - Same as above, but with no tremolo, and has bass/mid/treble tone controls instead of a single tone knob. Better tone controls at the expense of tremolo.

Super Jet SJ-12T - Same basic layout as the Jet II, but 50W class AB. 2 6l6's and 2 12AX7's.

Super Jet SJ-12 - Same as above, but with three tones and no tremolo.

Reverberocket - 50W class AB, two channel with shared E.Q., lines in and out, impedance switch, external speaker jack, and no tremolo. 2-button foot switch (reverb/channel) which uses a single stereo cable. A more modern 50 watter in terms of features, while the Super Jet was a more vintage style 50 watter. Reverberocket was available as a 1x12 (R-12R), a 2x12 (R-212R), and a head (R-50H), with straight and angled cabs available. 2 6L6's and three 12ZX7's.

Super Rocket SR-212RT - 100W class AB 2x12 combo. Features are basically the same as the Reverberocket, but it has tremolo. 3 12AX7's and 4 6L6's. 3-button foot switch, which uses a joined dual cable that consists of two stereo cables (one of which only controls one function, but this makes it so either plug can go into either jack). Or you can use a two-button switch and a one-button switch separately.

Rocket Bass B-50R - 1x12 50W solid state bass combo. Kind of like a BA-112, but blue, and with a few control changes. No 5-way style switch, for instance. No external speaker jack, and no extension cab was ever made for it (a darned shame IMO). Has line in and headphone jack.

Rocket Bass B-100R. Same as above, but 1x15 100W. Bought one new, and has been my only bass amp since.

Portaflex reissue, B-15R. 1x15 tube 100W flip top. Never saw one anywhere, but they seem to be well loved.

The current Jet 20 watter came later (post SLM, I beleive), and I don't know anything about it.
                            Sweet!! Thanks for all of the info dude! You seem to really know your stuff with these Ampegs!

Comment

Whats a Peg?
                              The old ReverbRockets were outstanding amps, and had that old tweed bassman sound...but like a "poor mans" ( not the forums 'Poorman') Bassman.
                              I only assumed the newer ones were sort of similar.
                              Well, I guess we'll have to disagree to agree.
                              I'll let you in on a littel secret though. If more people actually knew how close they got to a 5 grand '59 Bassman , they'd be worth way more than 750 dollars.
                              A Peg is short for Ampeg and I'm not trying to argue with you about it but those old Ampegs had almost nothing in common with Fender amps...none of them.

And while we're at it the new Ampeg amps have almost nothing in common with the old ones.

This Reverberocket-Bassman stuff is so strange to me...I've owned several Ampeg amps small ones like a 1960 Jet and big ones like a mid 70's V4 and a lot of amps in between, including a Reverberocket and I've played thru a lot of vintage tweed Bassman amps and clones and owned a few clones and they are as similar as chocolate and vanilla.
                              Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 06-19-2012, 03:02 AM.
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X