Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with 6V6s tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with 6V6s tubes

I just put them in yesterday, JJs, with sovtek 12ax7s...

this amp sounds almost completely different.

I read somewhere these tubes offer less wattage and that I've technically made this a lower wattage amp, I'm not sure how true this is, but I will say one thing: the overdrive on this thing is great now! it's so gooey, it sounds nice and balanced now, these tubes have made this good sounding amp sound great.

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with 6V6s tubes

dont use any other 6v6 other than jj in that amp. most 6v6s wont take that much voltage.

the tubes are lower wattage tubes but your running them really hot and the output transformer is still 40w. youll push a little less power but it will only be a little less loud.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      dont use any other 6v6 other than jj in that amp. most 6v6s wont take that much voltage.

the tubes are lower wattage tubes but your running them really hot and the output transformer is still 40w. youll push a little less power but it will only be a little less loud.
      Yes, I'm aware! I researched it online, these JJs are built to last, I have the pair biased to around 37mv but have read about them being pushed all the way to around 90mv and still working!

a little less loud? doesn't sound like the kind of loud that's noticeable.

that's a good thing anyway, these amps are too loud!

Comment

yeah, the volume difference wont be much

Comment

I run EL84s in my HRDv and it sounds good. I got a set of those tube socket converters, totally worth it.

If you want to have some real fun, switch to EL84s!
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
            I have the pair biased to around 37mA
            Wow...that's kinda pushing it!

I would have recommended 18 to 22mA.
            Now operating part time: Glassman Tube Amps...repairs, rebuilds, restorations & modifications of tube equipment.

Still building: GlassMan Amplifiers (25 watt, all tube, single channel w/reverb, single 12" combo) and some more designs in the works.

Located in Fort Wayne, IN

Note: I've "parked" my website in case anyone has been looking for it. I moved locations and haven't updated the site to reflect this.

Comment

Yikes I barely put my 6V6s at 20mA in a 20W setup. When I first had the amp, I biased to 25mA cuz I liked the tone. Killed one of the 6v6 within 6 months.
              Have fun but don't overcook your tubes!

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                I run EL84s in my HRDv and it sounds good. I got a set of those tube socket converters, totally worth it.

....HOW?! SHOW ME HOW!

Comment

any way to use el34s?

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
                    Wow...that's kinda pushing it!

I would have recommended 18 to 22mA.
                    what? really? based on what point of reference? I got my info here.

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

EL84s in a Fender amp = sex. Pure, raw, sex.
                      - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by phil_104 View Post
                        EL84s in a Fender amp = sex. Pure, raw, sex.
                        i HAVE to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                          ....HOW?! SHOW ME HOW!
                          You need some little adapters made by THD called "yellowjackets". They just plug into the place where the 6l6 or 6v6 usually goes, then you plug the EL84's into the yellow jackets. There is no need to rebias for the EL84's cos they are running class A by using the converter, so when you are done, you can just plug your old tubes back in and play right away.

But if you really want to get less volume, use a less efficient/ less bright and cutting speaker. What is in there right now?
                          Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM.
                          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                            You need some little adapters made by THD called "yellowjackets". They just plug into the place where the 6l6 or 6v6 usually goes, then you plug the EL84's into the yellow jackets. There is no need to rebias for the EL84's cos they are running class A by using the converter, so when you are done, you can just plug your old tubes back in and play right away.

But if you really want to get less volume, use a less efficient/ less bright and cutting speaker. What is in there right now?
                            no need to rebias?

why would running in class A not require bias?

I don't want less volume.

the speaker is a carvin v30 clone.

im interested in chime and brightness.

el84 is it.

Comment

I dunno why they dont need rebiasing, they just dont according to THD. I'm no tech-xpert - something about cathode biasing?
                              http://www.thdelectronics.com/produc...lowjacket.html
                              anyways, you might like them.
                              Maybe if they work out awesome you could start looking around to trade your HRD for an AC30?
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X