banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Super Duper (SHO 2-in-1) clone will arrive tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Super Duper (SHO 2-in-1) clone will arrive tomorrow.

Originally posted by Surgeon View Post
    This is one of the many reasons I haven't had second thoughts about cloning it (nor the super-duper).

However, if Z felt it was useful and could be sold: good for him. I know I never would've used this circuit if it wasn't for him and I would've missed something.

Another thing you may or may not know RD: 90% of his early pedal designs (including the BOMetal, BOR (not counting the boost section of it), etc...) is a few SHOs cascaded into each other with a few coloring additions... It's a circuit he's very fond of.
    I did know that.

I am a big fan of his pedals, but they're definitely very simple and derivative circuits.

No disrespect intended though ... there are only so many ways to make an overdrive/distortion pedal, and most of them have roots that can be traced back to a handful of circuits.
    Band: www.colouredanimal.com
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
    Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
      I did know that.

I am a big fan of his pedals, but they're definitely very simple and derivative circuits.

No disrespect intended though ... there are only so many ways to make an overdrive/distortion pedal, and most of them have roots that can be traced back to a handful of circuits.
      Exactly... Just like so many boutique pedals are TS with slight variations. same goes for a bunch of boutique amps as well...

The ground-breaking designs are very few

Comment

I think if you have the skills and curiosity, cloning is a good way to appreciate gear or not.

You learn right away who are the innovators and the posers.
        Who is full of tone or hot air.
        Zvex fills the web with sales pitches, but some people eat it up. AND the SHO sounds great.

So you can find the vero or schematic of the circuit and make it. That is what someone else did several years ago.

Jack Orman's AMZ website is great.
        a lot of great stuff there for musicians.
        Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

I'm really loving this pedal. It does something to the dynamics that I can't quite explain, it's a bit of compression, a bit of bloom.

I don't wanna go nuts in the gain cascading game with other pedals, but that would be a fun game.

Now I want a Fuzz Factory.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
            I'm really loving this pedal. It does something to the dynamics that I can't quite explain, it's a bit of compression, a bit of bloom.

someone once said to me that all genuine clean boost does is make the sounfd louder. I thought that can't be right, but then I thought, if your amp was totally clean to begin with, then thats what it'd do.
            Then I thought that using it to drive a good tube amp just on the edge of breakup , would do pretty much what you just stated; " a bit of compression/a bit of bloom".
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Yeah. I first tested it at the builder's house, through a Ibanez practice bass amp, with a Squier Bullet.
              It was goddamn awful but the builder insisted I had to try it where it's meant to be; in front of some tubes.
              It rocks that way. But I'm quite sure it doesn't just boost the volume, the SHO.

It's not a LPB-1 and it's not a Boss GE-7 with the volume slider up.
              It does something funky to the dynamics, it does something with the electricity itself. It's not just a bass push or a mid hump or whatever.
              It's something else, and it's goddamn brilliant.
              Last edited by Diego; 06-21-2012, 11:38 PM.
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Zakk always says that the high end brilliance this pedal gives come from the really high input impedence the pedal has. With the wrong amp/speaker/pickup combo it can get a little too much in the highs though in my experience. I love my Super Duper though

I read an interview with him once where he says he essentially took the original SHO circuit from an old audio engineering book he had where the circuit was used as a pre-amp for a mixing desk.

Comment

Working...
                X