Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good,mediocre,green,.or bad

Clean Boost.

Actually a good one is what I would prefer.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Recommend a good,mediocre,green,.or bad

MXR / CAE 401 line boost/driver

Comment

A lot of folks, like Brent Mason for one, feel this one is the best. You can also build one - there's a couple of online sites with directions. It's based on the simple preamp of an Echoplex EP3. Just the preamp. http://www.xotic.us/effects/ep_booster/
      I've been meaning to buy one or make one for myself for a while now. This summer for sure.

Comment

MXR Micro Amp is a very good one..
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          MXR Micro Amp is a very good one..
          And the only one I am really familiar with. Unless the Duncan pup boster counts. That was my first thought (mxr).

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far.

I guess i should say I am looking for the least amount of coloration, and simple. Love my drive sound, just would like a bit more gain and volume for leads.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Try the Timmy.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

with the gain all the way down, timmy is a great clean boost. its also an amazing low gain od

Comment

I like the fat boost. It does offer some grit if required of its own, but what i really like is the treble and bass trimmers so you can tailor the boost to match the response of any amp. Every amp behaves differently once boosted and they all need trimming to get the best boosted sound...fenders often need the bass trimmed whereas marshalls often need the treble trimmed. Its great having one boost that will work with any or all guitar/amp pairings and at any volume level.
                The other one in a similar vein is the Xotic RC.
                ...i think mwalluk juts got himself a fatboost recently too...ask him what he thinks of it.
                Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM.
                "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I've never tried a Timmy, but at 1/3 the cost, you really can't beat the Micro Amp for a good clean boost. Used with the right guitar, pups, amp, and settings it can give some saturation to your tone but it doesn't color it.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I kinda wonder what the real difference is between the MXR Micro Amp and the MXR/CAE 401 Line Driver/Boost. I have heard sound samples (Proguitarshop's Andy doing the demo) and am impressed by the 401.

Comment

Wattage here has raved about the Pigtronix Class A boost. He's so enthusiastic that I'd like to try one myself.
                      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

AMZ Mosfet Boost (a DIY job)

I've got another boost circuit based off the front end of a Marshall JCM 800. Works really well. I named it the Marsha Valve.

The MXR/CAE Line Driver/Boost is really good.

Comment

SHO, EP Booster, micro amp, mini bomb boost ,banana boost, timmy is great for a clean boost
                          i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

Build yourself one of those BYOC triboosts
                            i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

I love my BD-2 as a clean boost - seriosuly.
                              Volume as far up as i need it, with the gain all the way down !

Also, the boost on my MXR MC-402, very helpfull when i need it !
                              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Working...
                              X