X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 III + 2x12 with Celestions 75

Dudes,
    I bought this cab to match with my 5150 III 50 watt head
    The Kiesel Guitars Custom Shop makes pro quality guitars, basses, pickups and accessories for musicians of all levels. Made in the USA, ...

The original owner changed the speakers to Celestions G12T-75s, but they sound too harsh, treebly and kinda thin and scooped. Good for metal i believe but thats not my main sound.

I use a les paul with Crazy 8s on it so what do you think is the problem?

I play hard rock, some blues, and some metal. I dont need a great clean sound but i do need a fat lead and some great crunch and high gain for rhythm...

What do you recommend?
    Should i swap the speakers to Vintage 30s?
    Look for another cab?
    Last edited by NUNOSLASH; 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/nunoslasher

Re: 5150 III + 2x12 with Celestions 75

I think Vintage 30's will make the harshness worse (until they get really, really, really broke in!)......at least thats my experience with V-30's! I'd go with Greenbacks! Just my opinion tho.......
    Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
    "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Forgot to add that they are very scooped. Will the vintage 30 help in that regard?

Comment

If you're going to go with V30's, I'd try swapping 1 out at a time. A lot of people like the mix of the V30 with the G12T-75's. It seems to balance the sound out quite a bit. V30's are pretty harsh in the midrange area right out of the box though. I'd opt for greenbacks or G12H30's.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

get the emi gb128....
          a friend uses thewm with the evh mini and they are great...

Comment

K100s. chunk.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by Blackie13 View Post
              get the emi gb128....
              Are they on a 2x12 cab?

Comment

Green backs are a TERRIBlE suggestion here. With 2x12 25 watt Greenbacks, You'll blow them for sure with that much power ( 5150III).
                I'd keep one G12T-75, and mix it up with either a V30 or a G12K-100.
                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                  Green backs are a TERRIBlE suggestion here. With 2x12 25 watt Greenbacks, You'll blow them for sure with that much power ( 5150III).
                  I'd keep one G12T-75, and mix it up with either a V30 or a G12K-100.
                  I dont know it this matters but its a 5150 III 50 watter

Comment

Originally posted by NUNOSLASH View Post
                    I dont know it this matters but its a 5150 III 50 watter
                    Yeah, your gonna wanna at least double the wattage of your cabinet compared to the amplifier output.
                    Not that you couldnt run Greenbacks with some care/restraint , but to me, thats not what a 5150III is for.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Not a fan of V30's most of the time...

Nice fat tone brings G12H30 Heritage speakers to mind which FWIW is what comes stock in the cab that matches the 5150 MK III.

If cost is an issue (the Heritage H30's ain't cheap) go for the plain old G12H30 70th Anniversary speakers.

Also look into offerings from Eminence...LOTS of options!
                      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackie13 View Post
                        get the emi gb128....
                        I use them with my Mesa DC-5, I can see them loving the 5150 since those amps are super tight

Comment

Working...
                        X