What power tubes for my Tweaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What power tubes for my Tweaker?

I love the tone from my Tweaker with EHX 6V6 tubes but you know, it can always be a bit better...

If I wanted a bit more of a modern Hard Rock sound out of it, should I drop some 6L6 tubes on it?

I like the Tweaker's tone but it is a bit too raunchy and vintage sounding,
    particularly when the power tubes start cooking. They do their thing very early in the volume, too.

Could use some extended highs and bass that punches a bit harder, with some narrower mids.
    Has plenty of mids as it is, almost congested sometimes.
    I never run them higher than 1 o' clock in fact, not even live.

The amp's EQ is ridiculously versatile but I'd like to make the sound a bit more modern and crisp.
    Last edited by Diego; 06-23-2012, 04:59 AM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: What power tubes for my Tweaker?

6L6's would probably do the trick. Lately ive had real good luck with the TAD 6L6wgc the TAD 6L6GC is similar but a bit more modern sounding which you might really dig. The Winged "C"s also rock but seem to be kinda pricey at the moment. The JJ's are good but not my favorite. EH's are solid but to me a little bland sounding.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
      6L6's would probably do the trick. Lately ive had real good luck with the TAD 6L6wgc the TAD 6L6GC is similar but a bit more modern sounding which you might really dig. The Winged "C"s also rock but seem to be kinda pricey at the moment. The JJ's are good but not my favorite. EH's are solid but to me a little bland sounding.
      I Love the TADs also,but do explain the "modern sounding" part of using these output tubes?
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
        I Love the TADs also,but do explain the "modern sounding" part of using these output tubes?
        the GC for me has a tighter bass response with more head room. the wgc is a bit more compressed.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Can you easily get all the major, modern day tubes in Chile.?
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

the GC for me has a tighter bass response with more head room. the wgc is a bit more compressed.
            Ok cool....I've only used the smaller bottled TAD WGCs in my BF Pro Reverb amp,but have otherwise went back to original RCA Blackplate 6L6s in this amp.I also have quite a few original Tung Sol 5881 tubes,but never have tryed them in my old Fender amp?
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
              Ok cool....I've only used the smaller bottled TAD WGCs in my BF Pro Reverb amp,but have otherwise went back to original RCA Blackplate 6L6s in this amp.I also have quite a few original Tung Sol 5881 tubes,but never have tryed them in my old Fender amp?
              I LOVE the original Tung SOL 5881's I was kinda disappointed in the reissue of it. The TAD WGC is a better sounding tube than the reissues are. At least. I think so

I'm actually missing a set of black plate rca's from my tube stash i would like to get my hands on a set. I have late 40's metal can 6L6's and the later grey plate 6l6's.

Comment

Is the Tweaker set up to make a change to 6L6.?
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

I LOVE the original Tung SOL 5881's I was kinda disappointed in the reissue of it. The TAD WGC is a better sounding tube than the reissues are. At least. I think so

I'm actually missing a set of black plate rca's from my tube stash i would like to get my hands on a set. I have late 40's metal can 6L6's and the later grey plate 6l6's.
                  I'm getting older and I still have "quite" a few really great early tubes like Mullard EL34s,12AX7,Tung Sols,RCAs...etc... ;o) I need to use some of this stuff before it's too late! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by zzmoore View Post
                    Is the Tweaker set up to make a change to 6L6.?
                    yeah.. its a cathode bias amp it will accept 6L6, EL34, 6V6, 5881, KT77 and a few others with no issue.

Comment

any octal tube EL34, 6CA7, 6V6, 6L6, KT66, KT77 will drop into a tweaker with no mods needed.

From the OP's desires I'd do 6L6.

Personally I use 6CA7 they act as a best of both worlds tube (the mids and wooly nature of an EL34 with the round fat low end of a 6L6).

Comment

Watching this m'self. my tweaker is about the only amp I get to run these days. Ive become pretty attached to it. Im sure it would be better with other tubes over stock. But what to try??? hmm. I usually run british, vintage.. so perhaps an el34??
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                          Watching this m'self. my tweaker is about the only amp I get to run these days. Ive become pretty attached to it. Im sure it would be better with other tubes over stock. But what to try??? hmm. I usually run british, vintage.. so perhaps an el34??
                          you may also like the 6CA7 it was the tube back in the day for hiwatt amps depending on the vein of british you are after. I like it because it lends a wonderful character to both clean and crunchy tones.

I too agree it's tough trying everything I'd want, I'd love a set of every octal tube myself. It's amazing the variety of tones you can pull out of this little amp.

Comment

No power tube is gonna make that amp sound "modern", it has a lot of grit and grain naturally, you would have to change caps to get it loose that character, the closest thing to modern you can do is use it on the USA / hot mode with a ZW44 in front of it scooping the mids with the amp or an eq pedal in the loop.

I used mine with EL34s Mesa relabeled winged -=C=-, made it even more grainy and crunchier maybe a little too middy. It get's ultra hot tho, so be aware.

I see the tweaker as the perfect amp fo somebody who wants to play 70's rock or pearl jam type of grunge.

Comment

Working...
                            X