banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18...awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Hughes and Kettner Tube Meister 18...awesome!

Indeed the Tubemeister 18 is completely awesome. However, I'm letting mine go for 2 reasons. First of all, since I had a lot of experience with the Triamp and Duotone, every time I play the Tubemeister makes me yearn for a Duotone. It's like the Tubemeister gets close to that awesome H&K tone, but you just can't quite get there with it. Also, the clean channel lacks volume. It's rated at 18 watts, but my 15w Blues Junior is much louder on the clean channel and has more headroom.

The Tubemeister lead channel is much louder than the clean channel and almost matches my Blues Junior. Anyway, I'm not putting it down in any way because for $599 you can't beat it. The Tubemeister 30 is coming out and it has twice the power of the 18 AND includes reverb AND will sell for $799 which is less than the Mesa Boogie TA-15.

Comment

WOW! Most of the youtube demos are horrible.
      Otoob is da 'orrible!

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
        Indeed the Tubemeister 18 is completely awesome. However, I'm letting mine go for 2 reasons. First of all, since I had a lot of experience with the Triamp and Duotone, every time I play the Tubemeister makes me yearn for a Duotone. It's like the Tubemeister gets close to that awesome H&K tone, but you just can't quite get there with it. Also, the clean channel lacks volume. It's rated at 18 watts, but my 15w Blues Junior is much louder on the clean channel and has more headroom.

The Tubemeister lead channel is much louder than the clean channel and almost matches my Blues Junior. Anyway, I'm not putting it down in any way because for $599 you can't beat it. The Tubemeister 30 is coming out and it has twice the power of the 18 AND includes reverb AND will sell for $799 which is less than the Mesa Boogie TA-15.
        The Tube Meister 36 is looking more and more attractive, especially if it's just a couple hundred more. Read the specs and features! I don't usually care if an amp has MIDI capability or not, but on this amp I think it would open up a lot of possibilities. And since it can also be dialed down like the 18W version, it's definitely worth looking into.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          My local GC just got one, and I ran it through it's paces from clean, blues, rock, to metal, and it did it all amazingly good. It's the best lunchbox amp I've plugged into so far. With a good cab, it does it all. Within 20 minutes of playing it, I was sold on it......forget everything else, I must own one of these.
          The cool looking aesthetics are the icing on the cake, including the chrome side handles with logo.

But when you turn it around and look at the features, such as 2 modes on 2 channels, footswitchable, FX loop, 18w/5w/1w/OFF, XLR out, tube failure indicators......just killer!!!

I was able to dial in just about every usable tone I need, all at a nice volume level, which gets pretty loud.....or as silent as you need it. And it's noise floor level is excellent....nice and quiet like you'd expect from a quality amp.

Unlike all the other lunch box amps capable of high gain, the Tube Meister 18 doesn't lose low end definition. It handles heavy gain palm muting and it's EQ and boosts allow you a lot of flexibility in the gain structure.
          Throw away your OD pedals, this amp needs nothing with massive gain on tap. From country to AC/DC to Metallica, it's got it. Hook up a 2 button footswitch and you've got 3 modes....with FX loop. Want killer tube tone at whisper levels? Just turn it down to 1W or 5W.

At $599, your head will explode when you play one, scheming of ways to get one ASAP. I know mine did. Dual EL-84's in an amp that can sound like anything from a Blues Jr. to a vintage Marshall, to a Bogner XTC type vibe.

I'm going to be throwing some toys on the used market, because this is the first low wattage amp that got me really excited. The guys at the music store have also made it their new favorite on the floor.

Awesome Joe! Thanks for this....I've had my eyes on the Blackstar 20 head,but this seems an even better choice...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Notice the size of the transformers. They can barely stuff them in there!

Comment

Probably just the video quality, but the 36 watt sounds much better.
              Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                Probably just the video quality, but the 36 watt sounds much better.

Musikschmidt has the best demos on the toob.

EDIT
                Also. Ollie can make everything sound anazing.
                Last edited by JeffB; 07-12-2012, 02:50 PM.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I've been wondering about those as well... good to see someone with good ears finds them impressive. For the price they command I'm starting to get attracted to them more and more... thanks for the review Joe!

Comment

OK. I've gone back and tried this thing with a strat, tele, LP, and P-90 Traditional Pro LP. It's really a killer amp. It's actually my favorite dual EL-84 amp I've ever played, which includes a lot of high dollar ones. This Tube Meister 18 is a great amp!

I'm thinking that if you want a great amp that does it all, the Tube Meister 36 which is coming out right now is probably the best choice. That's if you need all the headroom and volume of a gigging amp that doubles as a practice amp. The power selection control, and OFF for direct recording is it's greatest attribute outside of the tone. Up loud, down to 1W, 5W, 18W, and full on power, the 36 is something to try out immediately.

But if you're looking for a home amp....the 18W version is the best. It's just great. That's all I can say. I even ran a tele through the clean channel with volume and gain full up. It's just perfect there. This amp will literally make any guitar you have come alive. From beautiful clean to super high gain, it does it all really really good. And, it hits all the in between tones really nice too.

So, get the 36 if you need a do it all amp. Get the 18 if you need the perfect apt/house amp....and it's loud enough for small stages. They hit a home run with this amp series.
                    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-14-2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Dammit, I don't need more GAS...LOL. Been looking at a few different amps the last few months and was really eyeing a Jet City but this may change that. Hmmm. The 36 would be more to my liking.

Comment

If Gearjoneser likes it, it's gotta be pretty darned good. I have never regretted making purchases based on his recommendations alone. I'll have to check this amp out.

Comment

I'm digging the size of the 5 watter, looks like its got a built in redbox too. Less space the better for me these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                            And their bigger offerings are quite cool too
                            Yes they are! My Triamp mk2 has turned into my "go to" amp! Easily the most versatile amp I own and tone quality wise, it can hang with anything!

Comment

I haven't tried the 5W version, but I'm assuming the 18W version covers the most ground for home use. When you get to the higher wattage ones, they're great but the price is much higher too.

On the 18 and 36...
                              The 1 and 5W settings give you small room sounds with a cranked tube sound. These will be two really popular amps!

I made a point of getting all 3 settings to sound good at 1W. It does everything so good, that it reminds me of when I plug into a super high dollar amp, and wish it did certain things. This F'ing amp for $599 does it all. Most amps this good only do it at high volume. This one does it all the way down to a whisper like a modeling amp.

The problem I always had with Hughes & Kettner in the past was that they always cost as much as better $3000 amps. The thing with this series is that it's like the whole Bogner lunch box series for half the money. I'm not just talking gear here, I'm going to get either the 18 or 36. They're the best medium priced amps out there. They're the type of amps where you play them and you know you're going to buy.

If I were rich, I'd buy all the Bogner lunch box heads. This amp is like scooping up a couple for $600.
                              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-14-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Thomas Blug did a great run through on the 18

Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

Working...
                                X